walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Cruachan and Stob Diam

Ben Cruachan and Stob Diam

Postby David Lyall » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:45 pm

Route description: Ben Cruachan and Stob Daimh

Munros included on this walk: Ben Cruachan, Stob Daimh

Date walked: 30/05/2010

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 1376m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Nine of us left the Vale for Loch Awe. Parking at Falls of Cruachan rail station we started out, up under the rail line, through trees, over a deer fence via a style, or through the ‘dog flap’ - a hard pull. Onwards up to Dam wall, climbed up steel ladder to Dam top. Walked across the Dam top for effect, and then stopped for a break.
Jim Milner Gary and I were taking in the both hill while the rest were just doing Stob Diamh so we parted company here and we headed up above Stob Garbh
Ben Cruachan 015.jpg
summit of Stobh Garbh looking towards Stobh Diamh
Ben Cruachan 009.jpg
Gary Jim and me heading for Stob Diamh.
then on to Diamh the views over to Cruachan were tremendous.
Ben Cruachan 019.jpg
me at Stobh diamh with Ben Cruachan in the distance.
The walk along to Cruachan was up my street with plenty of scrambling.
Ben Cruachan 042.jpg
Jim and Gary with Loch etive behind.
Ben Cruachan 048.jpg
looking down from the ridge to the dam and Loch Awe
We had great views up Glen Etive to Ben Starav. We stopped for a short break at the top of the very rocky summit of Ben Cruachan. With the rest of the group only doing one top we did not hang around and headed down by the time we got back to the dam I was suffering trying to keep up with the ours and my knees were ready to give up. But I did arrive back at the cars only 5 minutes behind the others.
Ben Cruachan 063.jpg
very roch on the decent from Cruachan.
Attachments
Ben Cruachan 060.jpg
Quick stop at the top of Cruachan
David Lyall
Munro compleatist

Munros:200   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   

Re: Ben Cruachan and Stob Diam

Postby kinley » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:05 pm

Nice one 8)

I honestly don't remember that ridge being this hair-raising! :lol: ;)
kinley

Postby houdi » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:56 pm

Great route! Did it a couple of years ago from Stob Gharb to Stob Dearg and loved every minute. Often wonder why Stob Dearg doesn't get more credit. It's a steep, bouldery pull from Cruachan to the summit and the views from Stob Dearg are much better as there are uninterupted views west to the sea and its position gives superior view up Loch/Glen Etive. It seems strange that Corbetts, Grahams etc are looked on more favourably then Munro Tops.
houdi
Rambler

Munros:93   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:74
Wainwrights:48   

Postby kinley » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:03 pm

houdi wrote:It seems strange that Corbetts, Grahams etc are looked on more favourably then Munro Tops.

I think it would be fairer to say that big list hills are favoured over other favourable points.

The 879m top of Buidhe Bheinn is a "nothing" but has massively superior views to the Corbett summit. Beinn an Tuim has better views than Streap but is a Corbett top.

If you want the best views you need to consider your hill carefully - it's nothing to do with Munro tops :)
kinley

Postby houdi » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:13 pm

I would say Stob Coire nan Lochan is superior to most corbetts and even many munros due to its very prominent location. I have heard (although I don't know enough about it to give examples) that some hills have been accorded Munro status because of a prominent position. If this is true? If so, then Stob Coire nan Lochan deserves consideration.
houdi
Rambler

Munros:93   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:74
Wainwrights:48   

Postby kinley » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:21 pm

houdi wrote:I would say Stob Coire nan Lochan is superior to most corbetts and even many munros due to its very prominent location. I have heard (although I don't know enough about it to give examples) that some hills have been accorded Munro status because of a prominent position. If this is true? If so, then Stob Coire nan Lochan deserves consideration.

Hmmm. I'd say Stob Coire nan Lochan is a better place to have lunch than most munros and many Corbetts. But why demote these great places onto the lists? Far better to keep them off list - they'll be quieter. :D
kinley

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland