walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn a" Ghlo and the cloud was low

Beinn a" Ghlo and the cloud was low

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:10 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Ghlò

Munros included on this walk: Bràigh Coire Chruinn-bhalgain, Càrn Liath (Beinn a' Ghlò), Càrn nan Gabhar

Date walked: 17/10/2010

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 23.8 km

Ascent: 1361m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Choose this circuit as the better weather was forecast in the east,new this was going to be a hard walk for me so. me,JB and alan s were geared up and on our way at 8.05am,in near perfect weather,no wind,rain and and fairly warm for this time of year10 min from car and we get our 1st view of Carn Liath
mixed 114.jpg
Carn Liath
followed the WH route and soon passed what is left of the small bothy
mixed 115.jpg
bothy no more
now on the long pull up Carn Liath and the sun is just starting to rise over the distant hills
mixed 116.jpg
looking good for the day ahead
sadly this was to be the last we saw for most of the day,the next 1 1/2 hrs was a long pull up to the trig point with no views
mixed 117.jpg
trig point but not the summit
200 yds on and we reach the true summit
mixed 119.jpg
cairn at summit Carn Liath
found this 1st climb a bit of a trudge ,but from here over the next two summits was really enjoyable even though the weather was now stating to close in with low cloud,wind and flurries of rain,managed to get one or two pictures when the wind blew of the clouds for a few minuets
mixed 120.jpg
on the way to Braigh Coire Chruinn-bhalgain
mixed 121.jpg
wee break in the clag
mixed 122.jpg
alan s on the way down
mixed 123.jpg
just follow the carriageway
after this no more pics taken until the 2nd summit
mixed 124.jpg
summit Braigh Coire Chruinn bhalgain
weather now was closing in from the west all the time and the wind was now starting do blow a gale,so we all got the head down,and worked our way onto our last top of the day,5hrs after we left the car
mixed 125.jpg
trig point summit 200 yds further on
mixed 126.jpg
summit Carn nan Gabhar
.This was the 1st time since my 2 navigation courses,where we used the map,compass with our satmap as a back up,and all seamed to go well.From the last summit back to the car took us approx 3hrs,which we all found a fairly long walk out,all in all I think we all enjoyed this trip
Last edited by gammy leg walker on Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Re: Beinn a Ghlo and the cloud was low

Postby Merry-walker » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:51 pm

Top notch Gammy,

I get the impression that despite the clag, you did all really enjoy this walk. Carn Liath pic is so lovely
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby monty » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:04 pm

Nice report gammy.... but you really missed a great day on Saturday up Beinn Dorain. Saying that you seemed to enjoy yourself :D Its a long walk out eh :lol:
monty

Postby gammy leg walker » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:14 pm

[quote="monty"]Nice report gammy.... but you really missed a great day on Saturday up Beinn Dorain. Saying that you seemed to enjoy yourself :D Its a long walk out eh :lol:[/quote

You cans ay that again,took us 3hrs from last munro,course you being a machine you would do it n half that time :lol:
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby gammy leg walker » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:19 pm

Merry-walker wrote:Top notch Gammy,

I get the impression that despite the clag, you did all really enjoy this walk. Carn Liath pic is so lovely

Sure did enjoy this one merry-walker,bit of a long trek back out mind you,but heh,hoh craick was good as always :lol:
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby Merry-walker » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:35 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby JB likes a beer » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:42 pm

Hi m8,good report (just folllow the carriageway :lol: ) ,walk out wasnt the best some cracking views and seeing all those deer was something else .look forward to next time out
JB likes a beer
Mountaineer

Munros:205   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby Alan S » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:08 pm

Some great pics there mate 8) had a brilliant day, i think that was good preperation for the Lochnagar round in a few weeks :wink:
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby gammy leg walker » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:18 pm

alan s wrote:Some great pics there mate 8) had a brilliant day, i think that was good preperation for the Lochnagar round in a few weeks :wink:

You seam to forget it"s my pick the next time we all go out and for sure it wont be Lochnagar :lol: :lol:
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland