walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Alligin. Horns first

Beinn Alligin. Horns first

Postby jonny616 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:32 pm

Route description: Beinn Alligin

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr Mòr (Beinn Alligin), Tom na Gruagaich (Beinn Alligin)

Date walked: 13/10/2010

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 1110m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Drove up to Poolewe on monday for the October break with the family. From Ben Lomond onwards not a cloud in the sky. I was in hill heaven pointing out all the mountins i had climbed & treats still to come to my good lady wife, who did well to maintain her interest. (not an uphill walker loves the flat).

Took the costal route so i could have a look at the target for my one walking day, wednesday, when i had arranged to meet my friend Lindsay & his son Mikey to climb Beinn Alligin via the horns. Amazing views, just stunning.

Lindsay picked me up at Kinlochewe at 8am & we headed for the start, cloud hanging at about 600 meters! Picked up a guy walking the Torriden road who was going to Beinn Eighe, who kindly told us that it was a 20% cloud free day.

Having looked at the route on here & having a slightly nervous disposition we decided to do the round horns first, having seen Murial Gray do it this way on youtube.

After the gradual start we arrived at the base of the horns around 350 meters. It's then a steep slog up to 600 meters requiring quite a lot of hand work. If you are coming the other way there are a series of cairns leading to the path down which would not be obvious from above, but was visible to us all the way up.

Whilst the Horns are narrow there was only one bit that gave me a shudder, coming of the first one & a couple of points i wished i was two inches taller, but no real dificulties. For the squeamish the by pass path at about 750 meters is obvious, but the horns are not realy any more dificult than what you have to do to get to that point. My bravado caused by the fact that we could not see a thing!.

After dropping down from the third horn the ascent of Sgurr Mhor is a relentles bugger. From the summit in the clag you need to remember to navigate round the eag dubh which i am sure is obvious when you can see. A steep decent & another hard pull brings you to Tom na Gruagaich.

From there its not far to the path down the coire which is marked by a cairn. Scree at first improving as you go, quite steep most of the way, untill you are below 600 meters again.

All in all a great hill & although it is easy to say i felt this was the better way round to do it. If you have a knot of nerves about the horns they are out of the way & you can enjoy the munros. Plus having gone up that way thinking the whole time i'm glad i am not coming down this way!
DSC00686a.JPG
Beinn Alligin (Monday)
DSC00688a.JPG
Alligin, Dearg & Liathach
DSC00709a.JPG
Familly on Red Point Beach (Tuesday)
DSC00732a.JPG
Coire nan Laogh
DSC00739a.JPG
Mikey on the narrowing ridge about 700 meters
DSC00748a.JPG
Summit of Na Rathanan
DSC00752a.JPG
Summit Sgurr Mhor
DSC00753a.JPG
Eag Dubh
DSC00755a.JPG
Edge of Eag Dubh on the way to Tom n G
DSC00756a.JPG
Steep decent from Sgurr Mhor
DSC00757a.JPG
Summit Tom nan Gruagaich
DSC00758a.JPG
Out of the clag at last.
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Re: Beinn Alligin. Horns first

Postby LeithySuburbs » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:08 pm

Looks nice ... :? . You're clearly hardier than me - not sure I'd have had the motivation (although it helps when you have a companion :) ).
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby Alan S » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:19 pm

Good report there jonny some cracking pics its just a pity you didnt get the views as this looks a cracker.
I see there are a few reports coming in from that area but im struggling to catch up with them all :)
Must get up that way soon 8)
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby mountain coward » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:43 am

Thanks for the detailed and encouraging report - I think I need to do it this way round - at least that way, I then know I have an easy descent at the end of the day - an easy descent is all-important to me! And you got weather like I usually get!
mountain coward

Postby LeithySuburbs » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:26 am

Having done it the other way round, I would agree that this direction is easier. I remember a couple of nasty bits going down which would probably be fine going up. No such troubles descending by the corrie.
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby jonny616 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:48 am

LeithySuburbs wrote:Looks nice ... :? . You're clearly hardier than me - not sure I'd have had the motivation (although it helps when you have a companion :) ).

Thanks, the motivation came from having seen it clear i realy wanted to do it and as you say companions help especialy when they have driven from Aberdeen to meet up!
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Postby jonny616 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:52 am

alan s wrote:Good report there jonny some cracking pics its just a pity you didnt get the views as this looks a cracker.
I see there are a few reports coming in from that area but im struggling to catch up with them all :)
Must get up that way soon 8)

Hi Alan

It must be Torridon time. I see you where out east i've got that walk on my list for next year. Your weather was almost as good as mine!
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Postby jonny616 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:56 am

mountain coward wrote:Thanks for the detailed and encouraging report - I think I need to do it this way round - at least that way, I then know I have an easy descent at the end of the day - an easy descent is all-important to me! And you got weather like I usually get!

Hi MC

Having read some of your reports & picked up a strong vibe that you love narrow ledges & 3000ft drops :lol: you'll be fine. I would say it was MC friendly especialy in the clag. Although i'm jealous of all the reports coming in from the monday/tuesday
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Postby jonny616 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:58 am

LeithySuburbs wrote:Having done it the other way round, I would agree that this direction is easier. I remember a couple of nasty bits going down which would probably be fine going up. No such troubles descending by the corrie.

I felt descending the corrie was better than ascending it as well!
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Postby audreywaugh » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:17 pm

Hi Jonny, did this the week before you and came off over the Horns, I too was wishing I was a few inches taller! :lol: Also was very steep coming down off the Horns, but we did spot the cairns. Was glad in the end we had did it that way round as would have hated to climb up that! Cracking day though! :D
audreywaugh
Wanderer

Munros:196   Corbetts:46
Fionas:14   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:25   Hewitts:48
Wainwrights:47   Islands:20

Postby jonny616 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:54 pm

audreywaugh wrote:Hi Jonny, did this the week before you and came off over the Horns, I too was wishing I was a few inches taller! :lol: Also was very steep coming down off the Horns, but we did spot the cairns. Was glad in the end we had did it that way round as would have hated to climb up that! Cracking day though! :D

Hi Audrey, it's funny after we had climbed up to the cairn looked down & thought glad we are not going down that way as it looks so steep. Thats the beauty no right or wrong way round.
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Postby mountain coward » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:38 pm

jonny616 wrote:
mountain coward wrote:Thanks for the detailed and encouraging report - I think I need to do it this way round - at least that way, I then know I have an easy descent at the end of the day - an easy descent is all-important to me! And you got weather like I usually get!

Hi MC

Having read some of your reports & picked up a strong vibe that you love narrow ledges & 3000ft drops :lol: you'll be fine. I would say it was MC friendly especialy in the clag. Although i'm jealous of all the reports coming in from the monday/tuesday

:lol: Yeah, just love 'em! They make me laugh... hysterically!

At least I'm very tall with long legs for the bit you mention is awkward...
mountain coward

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland