walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Liathach-via north pinnacles

Liathach-via north pinnacles

Postby ianaird » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:34 pm

Munros included on this walk: Mullach an Rathain (Liathach), Spidean a' Choire Lèith (Liathach)

Date walked: 26/09/2010

Time taken: 8 hours

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

coire na caime-1.JPG

Liathach was on the "must do" list for a while, so with high pressure promised and the family away for the weekend the time was right.

Colin my walking companion for the day decided on an alternative route to the norm, and we would come in round the back and up the north pinnacles, seemed like a good idea to me :D

Colin is also responsible for the photos and i take no credit for them what so ever.......

Getting to the carpark around 8am the weather was not to disappoint, fresh and clear the day looked promising.

Liathach793.JPG

We headed down the track heading for Beinn Eighe and cut off after about an hour to head for Coire na Caime, a less visited side of Liathach but well worth the extra effort.

Liathach797.JPG

We went straight up the very end, taking a route up the grassy diagonal that you can see in the picture.

Liathach801.JPG

After getting to the top of Meall Dearg the views of the main ridge and the pinnacles were very impressive.

Liathach812.JPG

Liathach819.JPG

Liathach820.JPG

After a few photos(by Colin) it was time to attack the pinnacles, there was nothing too tricky here apart from one section where extra care should be taken, there was even still a bit of frost on the ground at 11am, I would imagine it would stay there all day as the sun was not going to hit it.

The photo of me climbing up is the crux although the photo does not do it any justice, it is trickier than it looks.

Liathach824.JPG

So it was up to the top of our first Munro of the day, Spidean a' Choire Leith.

The day was so clear, you could see for miles.

Liathach817.JPG

bigpicture.JPG

Liathach810.JPG

This guy we reckon had jumped of Bheinn Eighe, we watched him drift over.
Liathach826.JPG

Liathach862.JPG

Some photos looking back towards the north pinnacles

Liathach865.JPG

Liathach866.JPG

Liathach868.JPG

Looking back down towards Coire na Caime

Liathach869.JPG

After a quick cup of tea it was onwards to our second Munro of the day, Mullach an Rathain, we could see lots of people coming our way but no one going ours.

Liathach870.JPG

Liathach871.JPG

Liathach873.JPG

Liathach877.JPG

Me feeling on top of the world

Liathach880.JPG

Liathach was all I hoped and expected it would be with all the things I really enjoy about hill walking, and that is scrambles, ridges and a good long walk. Would recommend this route to anyone looking for something a bit different.
Hope you get a feel for the day with Colin's fine photo's...

More photo's

Liathach804.JPG

Liathach896.JPG

lasttime.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

ianaird
Rambler

Munros:125   Corbetts:8
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:4   

Re: Liathach-via north pinnacles

Postby Stretch » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:57 pm

Fine photos indeed. Some scare the daylights out of me, others make me want to tackle this beast soon. Excellent report!
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby HighlandSC » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:03 pm

A fine report of a great mountain :) and you were there on my birthday too!

Been close to Liathach several times - it's a true gem. Can't wait 'til I go up it myself :D
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby malky_c » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:10 pm

Excellent route - I've been eyeing this up for some time now, but haven't been able to find much info on it. Your grassy terrace route would certainly avoid the climbing which I think you would need to go right up the nose there.

Was discussing it with a friend recently when we were on Beinn Dearg. I think Meall Dearg must be the most difficult to obtain Munro top on the mainland.

What great weather as well. Next time I do Liathach, it will definitely be by this route :D :D Cheers for the info and photos, they give me much more confidence to have a go at it.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby mountain coward » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:35 am

Hmmm... if that's 'hillwalking', I'm definitely not a hillwalker!
mountain coward

Postby magicdin » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:43 am

I followed that grassy rake when I went up by Meall Dearg a few years ago
Found it OK but felt very exposed on open slopes above it.
I did'nt tackle the pinnacles though - they were a bit greasy looking and I was on my own
Dropped down the gully to the right and across the coire Glas Toll a'Bothain to gain the main ridge
magicdin
Rambler

Fionas:110   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:10   Islands:28

Postby monty » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:04 am

nice route up the grass but it looks a bit scary. :shock: The crux looks pretty vertical :D . Excellent pictures on a fine day. Great route plan for me next year :wink:
monty

Postby FeartyTim » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:29 pm

Stunning photos, and looks like a brilliant day :).

Liathach has to be just about my favourite looking mountain anywhere, not just in the UK. Not sure I'll ever have the nerve to attempt it, because by my standards a lot of it looks downright terrifying. And the 'trickier than it looks' bit looks plenty tricky enough :).
FeartyTim
Mountaineer

Munros:11   Corbetts:5
Hewitts:47
Wainwrights:20   

Postby rockhopper » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:35 pm

nice report and photos ian - quite a few worryingly scary bits so think I'd want perfect weather before even thinking about it ! :D
rockhopper

Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby kinley » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:16 pm

Thanks for the report - cracking route. 8)

Have visited Coire na Caim - it is a hidden gem :D

Many thanks to your companion for the photos - they are smashing 8)

Contender for TR of the Month for me 8)
kinley

Postby ianaird » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:50 pm

kinley wrote:Thanks for the report - cracking route. 8)

Have visited Coire na Caim - it is a hidden gem :D

Many thanks to your companion for the photos - they are smashing 8)

Contender for TR of the Month for me 8)

You met the photographer Kinley a couple of weeks ago up the top of sgur na stri, he appeared on the Sunday morning to take some photos.

Glad folk are considering the route, it is a gem!!
ianaird
Rambler

Postby kinley » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:13 pm

ianaird wrote:You met the photographer Kinley a couple of weeks ago up the top of sgur na stri, he appeared on the Sunday morning to take some photos.

8) Strangely enough when you named your companion as Colin and I saw the quality of the pictures I wondered just that :)
kinley

Postby mountain coward » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:57 am

Well just before everyone goes glibly off to attempt it, I believe the books say it needs rock-climbing experience... and I would agree with that personally!
mountain coward

Postby ianaird » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:44 pm

mountain coward wrote:Well just before everyone goes glibly off to attempt it, I believe the books say it needs rock-climbing experience... and I would agree with that personally!

Fair comment MC but i'm sure most people on here will be able to tell from the photo's or do what you done and read up a little on the route before evening considering this route and be able too make a decision if they are up for the route or not, i tried to get good photo's of the pinnacles to let people who may enjoy scrambling to get a look at them and hopefully inspire them.
I am not a rock climber but enjoy a challenge and i am sure there are many like minded people on the forum.

not having a go i just got a feeling that you dis-approved of me promoting the route :think:
ianaird
Rambler

Postby Merry-walker » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:14 pm

Some absolute corking photographs, ainaird :clap:

I'm afraid I'm too fraidy cat to do this walk. Never in a month of Sundays... :D you brave soul...
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland