walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

3 days in the lakes

3 days in the lakes

Postby DaveB » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:47 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Castle Crag, Helvellyn, High Street, Knott, Raise, Walla Crag, White Side

Hewitts included on this walk: Helvellyn, High Street, Knott, Raise, White Side

Date walked: 22/10/2010

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A great 3 days in the lakes. Day one, forcast was for low cloud and high wind so walked from Seatoller to keswick 8 miles and enjoyed the walk. day 2 weather was marginally better so went for high street starting from Patterale-Hartsop- Beacon then High street. The weather was a bit iffy on high street but improved later in the afternoon, with spectacular views over Hayeswater and Angle tarn.Day 3 forcast was good with moderate wind so took a chance with striding edge up to Helvelyn and returned via sticks pass to Glenridding. What a fabulous walk it turned out to be. This was the first time I had done srtding edge and it was truely amazing. Probably the best wal I have done to date.
DaveB
Mountaineer

Munros:1   
Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:9   

Re: 3 days in the lakes

Postby colgregg » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:02 am

Saved the best til last and got the best weather too. I did Helvellyn via Sticks pass earlier this year and it made for a pleasant change. Unfortunately the weather wasn't too kind and I didn't see a thing above 2000ft so a re-run using the same route as you did is on the cards next time. It's a good extention to the traditional return via Swirrel Edge and well worth the additional effort. I think the worst part of the whole walk is the dragging yourself up the road from patterdale if you set off from there. After that the path to the hole in the wall is a stroll.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181
Wainwrights:214   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland