walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Vane / Beinn Ime / Beinn Narnain

Beinn Vane / Beinn Ime / Beinn Narnain

Postby gunn690 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:04 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Ìme, Beinn Narnain, Ben Vane

Date walked: 22/10/2010

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I read about this route in one of my munro books and sounded like a great route close to home taking in 3 munros.

I began this walk at 8am from the inveruglas car park, the weather was to be clear all day with a 70% of chance cloud free with some snow flurries. walking up from the car park to the foot of Ben Vane was a nice warm up for me as im not the fittest i have been!

climbing ben Vane was pretty straight forward although in bad weather i could see it being a bit more tricky the further up you get. on reaching the top it began to Snow and all chances of a nice few quickly vanished! just my luck! it quickly past over and i was able to catch a great view right over to Arran and the kyles of bute which was nice. The sun the began to stay out for the day ahead.

i took the route down over Ben Vane to glas bealach bellow Beinn Ime where it is a pretty steep acent, i clould imagine this climb to be very challenging in winter conditions as the angle is very steep! when heading up Ime i could hear the whistle of farmers hearding the sheep from the hill. They must have a very hard and frustrating job! as the sheep dogs didnt seem to be paying any attention to the farmers calls, from where i was standing i found this quite funny! as the dogs were running about wild.

On reaching the top of ime the veiws where excellent! i sat down and had some lunch then followed the very clear path down to the foot of Narnain where i pasted the first set of walkers i had seen all day which i was quite surprised at.

The climb to narnain was a bit of a slog as it was my 3rd munro of the day and i was begining to get a bit tired. the route down i took from narnain was very very steep and it is very easy to fall over so be careful if planning to follow this route.its a good route if you wish to pretend you are skiing down as i was practising my turns zig zagging down the hill like a nutter!

Overall a very very enjoyable route close to Glasgow with a real sense of achievement at the end of it! would highly recommend it to anyone who is fit enough!
Attachments
DSCN1595.JPG
DSCN1593.JPG
DSCN1590.JPG
DSCN1579.JPG
DSCN1576.JPG
DSCN1574.JPG
DSCN1570.JPG
DSCN1563.JPG
DSCN1559.JPG

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by gunn690 on Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gunn690
Scrambler

Munros:57   

Re: Beinn Vane / Beinn Ime / Beinn Narnain

Postby iainwatson » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:12 pm

well done,i feel a great sense of achievement when i bag more than 2 munro's in a day although as you say you do tend to tire a bit toward the end
iainwatson
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:20
Fionas:5   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:2   

Postby mountain coward » Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:04 am

Believe me, the sheepdogs would have known very well what they were doing - they almost don't need the farmer to round up sheep! I suppose it's mainly instinct from hunting in packs for them. I've been out a few times and been accompanied by bored sheepdogs who decide to neatly round up little packs of sheep for me and present them to me proudly :lol:

Some great pics there. I'm not surprised you didn't start to meet people until Ben Narnain - I rarely set off up hills before 10 or 1030 unless it's winter and short days and I know quite a lot of other walkers in the same vein. Sometimes I don't set off until early evening...

Unfortunately when me and my walking buddy Richard did Narnain and Ime we originally planned to bag Ben Vane as well but it was far too claggy to try to find it! As it was we got the wrong summit of Ben Ime and have had to do it again this year!
mountain coward

Postby kinley » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:35 am

Looks like you're flagging :lol:

These hills are often teeming so you did well to get a quiet start.

Some atmospheric pics there too 8)

Doing those 3 munros is a tiring day - well done 8)
kinley

Postby skuk007 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:26 pm

Oh I remember this one, did the same route except for the steep bit of Narnain (thanks to Monty) on a scorcher of a day. Other than the fantastic views, the steep ascent of Ime stands out most as I didn't think the slope was every going to end.
Some nice moody photos, like those. :)
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland