walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Dubhchraig & Ben Oss

Beinn Dubhchraig & Ben Oss

Postby thomasp67 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:17 pm

Route description: Ben Oss and Beinn Dubhchraig, near Tyndrum

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Dubhchraig, Ben Oss

Date walked: 01/10/2009

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 17 km

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

beinn dubhchraig & ben oss.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Beinn Dubhchraig

Park in the car park at Dalrigh about halfway along the A82 between Crianlarich and Tyndrum and head left over the River Cononish bridge, the main path continues to the left but take the footpath leading right and over the railway bridge and on for another 1km up the track keeping your eyes peeled on the right for the footbridge over the Allt Cleann Auchreoch. On this mild October day, the water wasn’t especially high and looked as though it could be crossed in various places but by crossing the footbridge you are basically being pointed in the right direction. The next part of the walk becomes very boggy and would no doubt be much worse in wet conditions, gaitors are recommended. This section could be cut out by bypassing the footbridge and continuing up the track, be prepared to add 4 or 5 km onto your journey if you do this.

Once over the footbridge, follow the muddy trail for about 1km. I was lucky that I was able to follow the trail with no real difficulties, but this may prove tougher in wet conditions. If you loose your way, head for the wire fence just below the tree line and follow it along until you come to a broken section (hopefully this wont get fixed) and then up a steep hill and back onto the track from before. Follow the track to the right and then along the muddy track up the east bank of the Allt Coire Duhbchraig, find a convenient place to cross and continue up the track (this part was also quite wet) for another 2km onto the plateau on the ridge near the summit of Ben Duhbchraig. Here, you will catch the first view of Ben Oss and the mighty Ben Lui looming large in the background. Follow the track upwards in a south-east direction for another 500m to the summit of Ben Duhbchraig. The views here are spectacular with the Crianlarich hills dominating the skyline.

Ben Oss & Ben Lui

Crianlarich Hills from the summit of Ben Duhbchraig

From the summit of Ben Duhbchraig, the path down to the bealach between the two hills is easy to follow. When you get to the lowest point the easiest ascent is up and over the little hump that sits below the main bulk of Ben Oss. Another more distinguishable path leads off to the left, this is the one I followed, I can only assume that this path leads around Ben Oss to the bealach that joins it to Ben Lui. After following this path for a few hundred yards and with no sign of the path going anywhere near the summit, I decided to turn right and head directly for the top. This involved a fair bit of scrambling with a few traverses over large areas of loose rocks, very enjoyable, but probably not the smartest thing to do so far away from help and with apparently no one else on the hill with me.

Loch Oss from bealach

Ben Oss summit cairn

Ben Lui from Ben Oss

The top of Ben Oss is large plateau marked by a cairn and the views here of Ben Lui would be stunning on a clear day but I didn’t stay long enough to really take them in as it had got a lot darker by now and behind Ben Lui clouds were gathering. From here the route back is basically retracing your steps to the plateau near the top of Ben Duhbchraig and then back down along side the Allt Coire Duhbchraig, through the forest and along the track to the car park, easier said than done.

Ben Duhbchraig Plateau

Allt Coire Duhbchraig

Caledonian Forest

I really enjoyed the walk and would recommend it, especially as it’s easily accessible from the central belt. As with most midweek walks, I went by myself and to my surprise, didn’t pass anyone all day long. I've climbed a few hills before and passed only a handful of people, but this was the first time I have never passed a single soul. When I reached the summit of Ben Duhbchraig and realized that fact, I had a strange feeling that I've never really had on the hills before. Maybe it was the fact that Dalrigh seemed so far away or the rain clouds gathering in the distance but it was a slightly uncomfortable feeling of solitude which seemed to grow the further on I went. I would be interested to hear other walker’s views on this, especially those who go on their own.
thomasp67

Munros:82   Corbetts:16
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Beinn Dubhchraig & Ben Oss

Postby Alan S » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:33 pm

Good report there thomas
its good to see what they look like from the top as i never seen a thing
i made the same mistake by turning left from the beallach.i think that is the stalkers path you followed,i turned up the slopes and managed to find the original path.
I never seen anybody that day either it was only when i went round to ben lui that i met anyone,its good getting it to yourself sometimes eh :)
some good pics there 8)

cheers, alan :thumbup:
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby thomasp67 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:02 pm

Funny you should mention Ben Lui, I done it a couple of weeks ago and didn't get a view there either. I was on my own, could hardly see 10 yards in front and felt fine, just a little disappointed that I couldn't see anything. I love getting out on the hills on my own, if no one else can make it and the weather good I'll not even think twice about it. I've done quite a few by myself and loved every minute of them but always passed someone along the way, I suppose that gives a little bit of security.
thomasp67

Munros:82   Corbetts:16
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby mountain coward » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:16 am

I have to admit to sometimes getting an uncomfortable feeling when out on my own in the hills - I do a lot of lone mountain walking. Sometimes I find it nice, sometimes I'm distinctly uneasy - I think I'm mainly uneasy when the weather is threatening or it's very misty - I seem to be okay on clear days...
mountain coward

Postby davidsda » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:20 pm

Looking forward to doing this as my first winter walk, hope to see some snow on the summit. I like to be on my own, the few times my friend has come along it all seems too rushed - whats next - lets get there...
I enjoy the walk in looking around taking photos and just seeing, it's the seeing that most people ignore due to wanting to get there! I enjoy the peace, the natural sounds and just letting my mind enjoy the experience. As for feeling let's say apprehensive or not just right, yes it does happen to people when the comfort zone is nearing the edge of their envelope, it is also this experience that you should make yourself embrace and appreciate why your feeling that way, i have had it a few times but I just put my mind into humming a tune I like and that helps a lot, make a strong decision on what to do next and feel better for that knowing I am doing the right thing. What you experience is not panick or fear but apprehension, it is a good thing, it makes you challange yourself and those decisions.
Some people think they enjoy their own company but in reality they would prefer just to see someone else is there, I dont mind being completly on my own, suppose it comes from all my 38 years of martial arts training and dealing with a lot of self inflicted mental challanges. You have the mountain skills its now down to educating your mind to accept the feeling, challange why you are having it and make that decision and action that takes it away.
Enjoy pushing the comfort zone just a little.
davidsda
Munro compleatist

Munros:28   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby LeithySuburbs » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:12 pm

I'm resolutely in the "less is more" camp when out in the hills. I enjoy company when the weather isn't great but prefer to walk alone most of the time.

I genuinely do enjoy my own company and am not aware of any sense of unease as yet when alone on the hills. On my Tarf Hotel trip I didn't see another person for about 30 hours and I wouldn't have had it any other way :) .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby johntait » Thu May 31, 2012 12:19 am

You need to change your name to superman if you did these 2 in 4 hours !
johntait
Mountain Walker

Munros:175   
Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland