walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Pillar,Lakes.

Pillar,Lakes.

Postby tango » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:48 am

Wainwrights included on this walk: Pillar, Red Pike (Wasdale), Scoat Fell, Seatallan, Yewbarrow

Hewitts included on this walk: Pillar, Red Pike (Wasdale), Scoat Fell, Seatallan, Yewbarrow, Yewbarrow North Top

Date walked: 21/10/2010

Time taken: 6.5

Distance: 19.5 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Started at 0720hrs at the Overbridge carpark,up Yewbarrow along to Yewbarrow North Top dropped down to Dore Head,Red Pike,Black Crag,Pillar,down to Pillar Rock had a quick scramble round on the rock far too wet & slippy so left that which is abit of a bummer but better safe & sorry!!!!!Back upto the Pillar & the shelter stones, spot of lunch in the rain (nice),Then onto Scoat Fell,Steeple,s.w down to grid 149109 s.w to Seatallan cheeky climb :shock: dropped back down to Great Lad Crag then followed the valley path to the cattle grid & road back to the start, Finished 1455hrs,Going low cloud & some rain. Alittle scrambling on Yewbarrow,the dogs done them self proud.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

tango

Re: Pillar,Lakes.

Postby fedupofuserids » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:55 pm

Looks a full day, I was going to do a similar route (Yewbarrow/Red Pike & Seatallan) today but large signs declared the Cockermouth & Egremont road closed (again) :(

Wanting to get on the fells while the sun shined I carried on towards Ulswater, they will have to wait for another day !
fedupofuserids

Postby tango » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:02 pm

I dont if you have done Yewbarrow!! but I quite enjoyed the little srambling to be had :D .I was also glad I found the Steeple, the cloud was down & for some weird reason I spent about 5 mins flapping about trying to find it !! my map reading isnt that bad normally.
tango

Postby fedupofuserids » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:40 pm

If I remember, the top of Scoat Fell is rock so the path/drop to Steeple probably isn't that obvious in clag - to be honest I don't think I've ever been up that side of Ennerdale in mist.

It was a long time ago since I last done Yewbarrow (probably over 17 years) and I can't really remember it. It looks steep, reading about it on the web sounds scary, but the photos I've seen it doesn't look that bad. It depends upon my dog, on Pike O Stickle he just sat down and refused to climb, so I had to carry him up !
fedupofuserids

Postby tango » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:44 pm

Very lucky with my mutts they tackle anything sometimes you might need to drag/push them,& Im sure Riffs the oldest 1 has a built in GPS, :D
tango

Postby fedupofuserids » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:55 pm

Normaly he's a bit mental, heights drops do not faze him. Typical terrier if he picks up a scent he's off, chases anything with wings & sheep so for most of the year he is on a lead.

You missed Pillar (Black Crag) off your walk report :wink:
fedupofuserids

Postby tango » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:09 pm

Yeah that Pillar rock is alittle cheeky when youve never seen it before & also it was wet,misty,& i had the dogs thats my excuses!! :eh: "Il be back" as Arnie says,......
tango

Postby fedupofuserids » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:22 pm

I think Black Crag (NY 16601 11659) is in between Scoat Fell & Pillar, just before the final drop down to Wind Gap. So you would have crossed it.

Pillar Rock is just listed as a Nuttal & a Birkett.

On this site http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/hewitts/pillar-black-crag

and here http://www.hill-bagging.co.uk/mountaindetails.php?qu=N&rf=2377

Anyway an extra one for you !
fedupofuserids

Postby tango » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:57 pm

Yeah I remember now, no I did that 1 last year!! a stony type summit!! if i remember right!!.thanks
tango

Postby mountain coward » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:29 am

fedupofuserids wrote:If I remember, the top of Scoat Fell is rock so the path/drop to Steeple probably isn't that obvious in clag - to be honest I don't think I've ever been up that side of Ennerdale in mist.

It was a long time ago since I last done Yewbarrow (probably over 17 years) and I can't really remember it. It looks steep, reading about it on the web sounds scary, but the photos I've seen it doesn't look that bad. It depends upon my dog, on Pike O Stickle he just sat down and refused to climb, so I had to carry him up !

Nope, it can't be that bad if I've done it twice - granted the first time I hated it! See my post for both the feartie's and the more confident view :D
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2247
mountain coward

Postby fedupofuserids » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:44 am

mountain coward wrote:
fedupofuserids wrote:If I remember, the top of Scoat Fell is rock so the path/drop to Steeple probably isn't that obvious in clag - to be honest I don't think I've ever been up that side of Ennerdale in mist.

Nope, it can't be that bad if I've done it twice - granted the first time I hated it! See my post for both the feartie's and the more confident view :D
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2247

From the photo's I've seen it doesn't look that bad, just need to find the time and get the weather !
fedupofuserids

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland