walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Howgills

Howgills

Postby tango » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:28 am

Hewitts included on this walk: Calders, Fell Head, Randygill Top, The Calf, Yarlside

Date walked: 05/08/2010

Time taken: 6.75

Distance: 21.4 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Started at grid 698969 0730hrs,moved n.w to Cautley Spout,Bowderhead west onto track up to the Calf then onto Bush Howe,Fell Head. A brew & a porkpie,then back to the Calf,onto Calders,Bram Rigg,back to the track at grid 669968 followed that to grid 678987 Bowderdale steep climb up to Randygill Top,around to Kensgriff another steep climb onto Yarlside then s.e back to the start point,finished 1415hrs. Alittle rain but otherwise good viz... :D
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

tango

Re: Howgills

Postby mountain coward » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:00 am

That's a pretty big-looking walk! I must get back to the Howgills - only been once and that was Sedbergh across the fields etc. to Cautley Spout, up the side, The Calf, Calders, and then can't see from your map but headed back to Sedbergh ending up over Knock or Winder (can't remember which it was) - was a great walk though :D
mountain coward

Postby colgregg » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:04 am

Me too M.C.All I've done is walk to Cautley Spout and back. They always get bypassed on the way to the lakes.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181
Wainwrights:214   

Postby tango » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:11 pm

Hello guys Ilike to get my monies worth when doing the hills all that fuel & driving. its not abad walk take a few decent rests & you will be just fine, The route i took did have some steep bits which i dont mind gets the heart working/good fizz!!
tango

Postby fedupofuserids » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:45 pm

Seven hours with breaks looks a pretty good time.

I also like to get my monies worth, what with the price of petrol and please don't get me started on parking charges !
fedupofuserids

Postby tango » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:08 pm

Idont tend to hang around much! for breaks . If its raining i cant see much point hanging around in the rain, if its a fine day istill dont hang around :shock: i must be able to soak up i need on route!! normally 5 mins here or there does the job.
tango

Postby colgregg » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:57 pm

fedupofuserids wrote:Seven hours with breaks looks a pretty good time.

I also like to get my monies worth, what with the price of petrol and please don't get me started on parking charges !

I think I've only ever paid over the odds at the ODG in Langdale. £2 at Kentmere was well worth it. I parked in the White Lion at Patterdale last time I was there. Was just going to tell the landlord that I took a wrong turn heading to the pub (which I spent a bit of money in at the end of the day) If i was asked why my car had been parked there for 7 hours.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181
Wainwrights:214   

Postby fedupofuserids » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:11 pm

Haven't paid a thing for parking this year :D - so far touch wood !! I've been lucky enough to squeeze in some where free every time.

I expected a parking ticket in Coniston when a yellow police traffic cone mysteriously moved about 6 foot upon my arrival. When I returned I expected a ticket on the screen, but the cone was now tightly wedged under my front bumpy. Somebody making a point ?

Quite a lot of pub related parking there colregg :D :D :D, or are you complaining about the price of a pint nowadays :D

I think its only a £1 at Kentmere village hall if you are early enough, Other than that it's certainly not a traffic/visitor friendly valley.
fedupofuserids

Postby mountain coward » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:33 am

The White Lion at Patterdale (and probably most other pubs) are generally okay about it if you go in for food or drink later... I've also parked in the Traveller's Rest at Grasmere at the foot of Dunmail Raise and just gone in for a drink afterwards.

Talking of passing nice looking hills and breaking off to do them... there's a hill I've been eyeing up for ages just before Tebay village on the left of the M6 going north - it has a great looking ridge running up the middle and a nice-looking cwm behind. It would probably only take an hour or two to walk... I keep meaning to stop but find it really hard to break off when I'm on a journey.
mountain coward

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland