walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Lochnagar - First Taste of Winter

Lochnagar - First Taste of Winter

Postby Styles » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:19 pm

Route description: Lochnagar circuit, Glen Muick

Munros included on this walk: Lochnagar

Date walked: 24/10/2010

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Having previously done the first three of the White Mounth circuit I decided to go back and complete the route.
I had planned to attack all 5 again instead of just doing the two still outstanding but things didn't work out quite as planned.... I'd hoped for some snow and certainly got it.

I started the route across Glen Muick and up the track to the ladder where things got wintery.
Gales had been expected and not a surprise, however having completed the not too far away Glas Maol 4 a few days before hand the transformation from Autumn to a Winter scene was.

DSCF1319.JPG
Starting the climb into the white stuff

DSCF1328.JPG
Staircase

I continued onto the plateu, following the curve of the cliffs round before the final climb and up to the summit.

DSCF1353.JPG

DSCF1346.JPG
Summit

This had taken about 2 1/4hrs, much longer than I'd planned and I decided I'd not progress with the other summits and head back for the car. I went down between Cuidhe Crom and Little Pap before reganing the track which led me back to path below the staircase.

DSCF1349.JPG
Snowy Peaks

All in a good, if shorter walk, than I'd planned on.
Styles

Munros:24   
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Re: Lochnagar - First Taste of Winter

Postby kinley » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:32 pm

8) Wintry 8)

Looks great :)
kinley

Postby Merry-walker » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:38 pm

lovely pics Styles, hills are so different in the snow eh? :think:
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby Alastair S » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:34 pm

Excellent. I was down the road in Aboyne that morning and could see just how plastered Lochnagar was even though we couldn't see the top. Looked like the snow started at around 500m. Will be interesting to see if the snow remains on the summit though the autumn.
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby LeithySuburbs » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:49 pm

Yikes :shock: - that is a fair amount of snow . Very different to the west which has had just a dusting.
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby mountain coward » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:16 am

Alastair S wrote:Excellent. I was down the road in Aboyne that morning and could see just how plastered Lochnagar was even though we couldn't see the top. Looked like the snow started at around 500m. Will be interesting to see if the snow remains on the summit though the autumn.

I'm starting to think that Scotland, like us here, doesn't really have an autumn so much as just goes straight into winter.

Great pics there! Especially the first one...
mountain coward

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland