walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Dodd only knows

Dodd only knows

Postby icemandan » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:48 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Dodd

Date walked: 24/10/2010

Time taken: 1.55

Distance: 7.43 km

Ascent: 616m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Beautiful autumn day. The brief was an easy walk with some autumn colours and a summit. Dodd was one of my remaining Wainwright. Easy decision. Parked up along with hundreds of other people at Mirehouse. Nice view across the lake to Barf (Americans always find this name amusing - can't imagine why).
Bassenthwaite Lake.jpg

As usual you lose the hordes swarming around the car park and tea shop almost immediately and before long we were heading up towards Long Door on possibly the easiest path in the Lakes, starts out tarmac then becomes cinder. A wheelchair user could probably make it up Dodd with a bit of help.

The conifers gave way to birch and hazel.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

. We reached the col at Long Door and a superb view south to the Scafells over Derwent Water.
Derwent Water.jpg
. This being a forestry commission walk and somewhat domestic, it was provided with a bench.

On up to the top of Dodd. In Wainwrights day the whole top was covered in trees, the way up was a convoluted maze involving fire breaks and you couldn't see the view. Happily there's a fantastic view now.
View North.jpg

Stroll down keeping the view. Time for tea and scones at Abrahams and home
Attachments
Autumn Colours.jpg
icemandan
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:26
Fionas:13   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:199
Wainwrights:214   Islands:33

Re: Dodd only knows

Postby fedupofuserids » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:04 pm

If it wasn't for the odd walker and dog, I would love to take a mountain bike down that track 8)

Me, the kids and the dog had a stroll throught the forest on the other side of the lake today, certainly fab weather shame its meant to break :(

Congrats on hitting 200 :D
fedupofuserids

Postby mountain coward » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:46 am

fedupofuserids wrote:If it wasn't for the odd walker and dog, I would love to take a mountain bike down that track 8)

Me, the kids and the dog had a stroll throught the forest on the other side of the lake today, certainly fab weather shame its meant to break :(

Damn - you beat me to 200!

That hill's a great viewpoint isn't it - for some reason, whenever I've been on it, I've never had my camera so good to see the pics from it... you can go straight down the nose from the summit but it's a bit slippery when it's muddy so probably better in drier weather...
mountain coward

Postby susanmyatt » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:22 am

Well done Icemandan on your 200, what are you leaving for last ? was up Dodd the other week and quite enjoyed it, fabulous views, see post earlier. There was some people on bikes when we were there, they went up as far as the tight right turn where the track narrows for the summit, probably hairy coming down :lol: Has he beat you to 200 in speed MC as you have done the Wainwrights according to your panel :D
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:94
Wainwrights:141   

Postby mountain coward » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:33 am

mountain coward wrote:
fedupofuserids wrote:If it wasn't for the odd walker and dog, I would love to take a mountain bike down that track 8)

Damn - you beat me to 200!

Actually I was looking at your Munro total when I said that...
mountain coward

Postby susanmyatt » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:51 am

Got you MC,have you one planned for your 200th and will it be this year?
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Postby mountain coward » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:12 am

I'm hoping it will be during the Walkhighlands Glencoe meet at the weekend - now where's that fingers crossed icon :D

It will either be Stob Gabhar or, more likely, Beinns Chreachain and Achaladair...
mountain coward

Postby susanmyatt » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:36 am

Never been to Scotland to walk so just searched on the map for them,best of luck MC and have a great day :D
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Postby icemandan » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:21 pm

Thanks for the congratulations and sorry for confusing everyone with my current proliferation of double centuries.

MC you'll probably overtake me after Glencoe. I'm off for a long weekend at Roy Bridge the weekend of the 21st so might get a few done then. Achaladair and Chreachainn are on my to do list. Stob Gabhar is a good hill to bring up a significant number.

Good luck.
icemandan
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:26
Fionas:13   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:199
Wainwrights:214   Islands:33

Postby mountain coward » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:41 pm

Thanks Susan & IcemanDan :D It would be good if I got Chreachain, Achaladair and Stob Gabhar done this next week. I'm also heading off up further north afterwards - probably Achnasheen - if the weather's anything like
mountain coward

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland