walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stob Ghabhar and Stob a'Choire Odhair

Stob Ghabhar and Stob a'Choire Odhair

Postby seamus0 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:24 pm

Route description: Stob Ghabhar and Stob a'Choire Odhair

Munros included on this walk: Stob a' Choire Odhair, Stob Ghabhar

Date walked: 23/10/2010

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Distance: 10 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

From Bridge or Orchy, take the road west from the hotel. This small road looked as though it's been recently re-surfaced, as the road was in good condition. It runs past Loch Tulla to your right, passing the Inveroran hotel. Park at the Victora Bridge car park, just before the bridge. Walk across the bridge and take the path to your left, just before the forest lodge, heading west.
PA230221.JPG
Forest Lodge-Start of Walk

The path follows the Abhainn Shira. unfortunatley we saw a dying Stag. We wernt sure what to do under these circumstances? We presumed the laws of nature would take course.
PA230225.JPG
Stag

After 20-25 mins you will see the Clashgour hut, a small tin bothy. At this point take the path heading north. This track is quite mucky in places, and well worn.
PA230226.JPG
Track to Stob a Choire Odhair

Follow this path, you will see a large waterfall just beside the Aonach Eagach.
PA230227.JPG
Waterfall

You should also see the route up to Stob a'Choire Odhair which zig-zags up its ridge. Take this path, past the ford (253447). it heads up the ridge quite steeply at first, and eventually starts to level off after 1/2 hour.
PA230228.JPG
Track up the ridge of Stob a Choire Odhair

At this point the terrain becomes more rocky (and snowy!). Keep heading up, and a small cairn marks the top. Great views of Rannoch Moor and the surrounding hills were seen from here, although the wind chill was biting!

PA230234.JPG
Rannoch Moor

PA230242.JPG
Summit of Stob a Choire Odhair

Head west towards the bealach between Stob Ghabhar and Stob a'Choire Odhair for a well deserved lunch, a path is available to follow. From here the route of Stob Ghabhar looks quite intimidating and steep.
PA230243.JPG
Bealach and Stob Ghabhar

However, the closer you get to it, the easier it looks. Keep to the path, which heads towards the Coirein Lochain, and turns southwards going straight up the face of Stob Ghabhar. It isn't really a scramble, but it does require some steadying with hands in places. The path heads up the face, and should present no difficulty.
PA230250.JPG
Route up North face of Aonach Eagach

If you look closely, you can see people on the pic above to give u an idea of scale. Eventually, the path will lead you to the top of the Ridge, the Aonach Eagach.
PA230253.JPG
Beginning of AE ridge

Follow the ridge in a westerly direction. It will quickly become apparent that it narrows quickly, and looks exposed. However again, looks can be deceiving. Once you are on the ridge, there is plenty of path to make your way over it, and the exposure at either side shouldn't cause a difficulty if you concentrate on the path and not the exposure. There are no moves that are exposed and in no time at all, the ridge is over. Bit of a shame really, as I was expecting something more sinister. It reminded me a bit like Striding Edge in Helvellyn, except not as long.
PA230258.JPG
start of ridge

PA230259.JPG
Views along ridge

Again, the pic above gies an idea of scale with the people in it.
PA230268.JPG
Coirein Lochain

After the ridge continue up the broader ridge to the top. From here we saw fantastic views of the hills around Glencoe and further afield.

PA230274.JPG
Towards Glencoe

PA230273.JPG
Looking out westward from the summit

We even saw the sea it was that clear! After 15mins of admiring the view, we headed back down the broad ridge SE, and followed the metal fence posts for a while, eventually making our way back down, back to the path, tracing our steps back.
PA230281.JPG
Route back down following posts SE

PA230286.JPG
Back down to snow-free territory

PA230296.JPG
Full Moon

All-in-all a very enjoyable day with fantastic views from start to finish, the first of the winter snow, and a bit of excitement on the mini-me Aonach Eagach!
seamus0
Munro compleatist

Munros:138   Corbetts:2

Re: Stob Ghabhar and Stob a'Choire Odhair

Postby mountain coward » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:42 pm

How sad about the stag - I don't suppose there is anything you can do. It would have really spoilt my day though. But that's what guys get when they fight!

Thanks for those pics and route description - very timely as I'm thinking of doing Stob Gabhar at the weekend (but not the Aonach Eagach)... The pic showing the ridge out to the west from the summit is particularly useful as I need to go along that to get 2 tops and a Corbett :D
mountain coward

Postby seamus0 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:56 pm

MC, yeah we did think about who you should call, whether the estate would be interested or not. But then again they cull stags anyway, so we left it. I would really recommend the ridge, it isnt exposed enough to cause wobbly leg syndrome and is a good ridge starter. I dont like exposure and I found it ok and really glad i did it.
seamus0
Munro compleatist

Postby mountain coward » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:00 pm

It's not the actual ridge I would worry about as it does only look like a milder version of Striding Edge - but I had a look at that really steep clamber up to it from the col between that and SaC Odhair and that put me off really... But I'm happy just to trog up the SE ridge (where you came down?) as then I'm going along the western ridge and will be coming back down somewhere quite a way along the valley...
mountain coward

Postby seamus0 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:12 pm

Yeah that would be the way to do it if not doing the AE, head up the SE. The clamber up the face looks bad from a distance, and i did think twice about it. But the path on it is a good path, and wouldnt really call it scrambling going up it just a bit of a leg burner for a bit. I was tempted to go across the ridge to Sron a ghearrain but the light was going....thats for another day!
seamus0
Munro compleatist

Postby monty » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:24 pm

Nice one Seamus, Your pictures and the snow make the ridge look pretty dramatic. It was clear when I was up there a few weeks ago. Excellent walk. :D
monty

Postby Oldman » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:36 pm

Good report!!! Not only entertaining but informative in your description of parts of the walk and in some of the photographs. I always research my walks as thoroughly as possible and read all the reports together with the Walkhighlands description. I have looked at these two hills but wondered about that airy ridge - I'm not as young as I used to be - but thanks to your description and the picture with people on the ridge giving it perspective it doesn't look so bad so I'll soon be giving it a respectful go. Ta much.
Oldman
Bird-watcher

Postby seamus0 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:30 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I'm a bit like you I like to research my walks first. I try to give as much information in my write ups that I think I would want to know if I was doing the walk, I take the photos with that aim also, so that you could take the report as a whole and do the walk armed with as much info as possible. And the ridge, you'll be fine...its good fun! :-)
seamus0
Munro compleatist

Postby goth_angel » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:32 pm

Some very nice autumnal colours there. Did the first of these in the snow and didn't have time to go on to the second.
goth_angel

Munros:101   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:85
Wainwrights:181   

Postby seamus0 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:25 am

Yeah,

Im seriously considering upgrading my camera, as some if the shots look a lisstle hazy and the moon shot was blurred. anyone any recommendations? My Olympus Camedia c-770 is great for hanging round your waste, for quick shots, but not so good when u have more time on your hands and want a good lanscape photo. I Guess it will be on my santa list!
seamus0
Munro compleatist

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland