walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Walking Poles

Walking Poles

Postby Anjay » Sat May 16, 2009 4:41 pm

I am looking to get walking poles, can anyone suggest the best kind of poles as I am a bit lost on what to get as the prices do vary and I would appreciate a decent buy that's not going to have me spending unnecessary amounts of money.

Cheers
Jackie
:D
Anjay

Munros:2   

Re: Walking Poles

Postby Paul Webster » Sat May 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Hi Jackie

For years I used Leki poles which were great; currently I've got a pair of Tiso's own brand poles which seem to be just as good and were cheaper. I'd stay away from the poles with springs as most keen walkers seem to find it makes you feel a bit less stable.

I'd heard others say great things about Pacer Poles but haven't tried them - I think they are more expensive.

There was quite a long recent discussion about poles - here
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby cjwaugh » Sat May 16, 2009 7:36 pm

I agree with Paul no need to spend a fortune they all do the same job and personally i don't like the spring loaded ones .
cjwaugh

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:9   Donalds:27+0

Postby 37lumleyst » Sat May 16, 2009 8:32 pm

Hi there Jackie, as Paul has put the link to my original post on his reply, I won’t repeat what was said on my posting. Save for the fact that like you I had been thinking of getting poles for a while. I put my thoughts down on this site and was very pleased with the advice I received. Click on Paul’s link (I don’t know how to do that yet) and read all the valuable comments people made to my initial post.
Paul Webster wrote:Hi Jackie

For years I used Leki poles which were great; currently I've got a pair of Tiso's own brand poles which seem to be just as good and were cheaper. I'd stay away from the poles with springs as most keen walkers seem to find it makes you feel a bit less stable.

I'd heard others say great things about Pacer Poles but haven't tried them - I think they are more expensive.

There was quite a long recent discussion about poles - here

I have since bought a set of Leki poles but have opted to use one rather than two – my reasons are simple. I like the idea of having a hand/arm free ‘just in case’ I slip or need to reach out. I also posted a walk report on ‘Walks outside Scotland’ titled “Arthurs and Bonscale Pike” on May 4th in which I gave a report on how I got on with my first walk with the aforementioned poles. Have a look and see what you think

I hope you find the content of these postings as informative as I did – you have certainly picked a cracking web site to join, its packed with heaps of great information and very friendly people.

Regards,

Paul
37lumleyst

Munros:6   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:49
Wainwrights:56   

Postby Anjay » Sat May 16, 2009 11:03 pm

Hey thank you very much for such a speedy reply as well. I will have a look at the link and see what I think, so i take it a cane wont do then? hahahahaha. kidding :lol: .. cheers for that guys, much appreciated as I truly am must finding my feet about all that i need for walking etc. Thanks again. :D

Must admit this site is pretty good for getting the advise and i am sure we all appreciate the feed back.. cheers :D
Anjay

Munros:2   

Postby Rekrab » Sat May 16, 2009 11:28 pm

I don't use them. I used to but i've gone off them now,

MacKenzie,
Rekrab
Munro compleatist

Munros:85   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:45

Postby sloosh » Wed May 20, 2009 8:56 am

I started out with a wooden stick and noticed the improvement as far as knees not hurting so much. Since then I've moved onto walking poles and bought spring loaded ones and non-spring loaded. Can't actually tell much of a difference tbh. The sprung ones do seem to take a bit of the load at times but they can surprise you when the spring kicks in and you aren't expecting it. ;)

As for which are the best - can't say I have found any difference between the cheaper ones and the more expensive - they are all much of a muchness imo. My advice is find one that's comfortable to use - the only criteria that's required.
sloosh

Munros:62   Corbetts:1

Postby weebutton » Fri May 22, 2009 5:08 pm

Hello
I have just started walking and tomorrow I will climb my second Munro. The first time I went out my knees were aching on the downhill section so I bought a set of poles for £12 from Lidl (or Aldi?). I guess they are not the greatest but cheap enough just to try them out and see how you get on.

I find using them makes an incredible difference so will probably get myself some better more lightweight ones one of these days but for now they will do!

Sara
weebutton

Munros:200   Corbetts:17
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:10   Islands:39

Postby Caberfeidh » Sat May 23, 2009 10:07 am

You try a stick. Made of wood. Off a tree.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby sloosh » Sat May 23, 2009 12:04 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:You try a stick. Made of wood. Off a tree.

Do they come branded?
sloosh

Munros:62   Corbetts:1

Postby Caberfeidh » Sun May 24, 2009 9:08 am

That's an idea - you could brand a name on with a hot poker - Tiso or Leki or somesuch. You also get wee badges from touristy shops showing which places you've been, specially for nailing to your stick. A bamboo pole would be good, you could cut little hatches in each segment and carry usefull stuff in it; pacamac,chocolate, fishing flies, whisky miniatures, etc.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Paul Webster » Sun May 24, 2009 9:15 am

You really are missing those wee badge things you used to be able to buy, aren't you? Can't you sew a new range of your own :lol:
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby Caberfeidh » Sun May 24, 2009 3:14 pm

You can still get them ! I meant the wee metal badges you can tack onto walking sticks, not the sew-on patches. You can get both. We should revive the practice!
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby susanmyatt » Sun May 24, 2009 4:09 pm

You lads will get old one day and then you will be welcome of some help :lol:
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:94
Wainwrights:141   

Postby GarryH » Sun May 24, 2009 5:15 pm

Here`s Caberfeidh giving a demo on how to use poles on accents and descents :lol:
http://www.alpkit.com/support/products/ ... ing-poles/
GarryH

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk