walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Munro no.2 - Ben Vorlich (Loch Earn)

Munro no.2 - Ben Vorlich (Loch Earn)

Postby rockhopper » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:31 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vorlich (Loch Earn)

Date walked: 15/02/1987

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 960m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Again, some very old pics here (Pentax MX with 35mm film)............report is more for my own record keeping information. [Note - not sure about the order the ascent/descent photos were taken]

Ben Vorlich (Loch Earn).JPG

We parked at Ardvorlich on the south side of Loch Earn so that we could start on the usual track to Ben Vorlich. We had thought about tackling Stuc a Chroin as well but were concerned that it may be a bit too tricky for us in wintry conditions.

From Ben Vorlich towards Ben Lawers group......I think.JPG

We started heading south on the track up Glen Vorlich but fairly early on headed off in a SW direction towards Sron Mhor and then headed up and over Ben Our. From there it was a fairly straightforward walk SE to Ben Vorlich.

Ben Vorlich - summit.JPG

Ben Vorlich - summit  (me on the right).JPG

I think maybe looking north to Ghaordaidh, Tarmachan, Lawers group.JPG

After stopping at the top for pictures and food we again thought about Stuc a Chroin........and again decided to leave it off for another day as we were still not sure we could manage it [note - still haven't been up Stuc a Chroin over 20 years later but hope to soon......]

Some more pictures as follows:

Ben Vorlich - possibly bhealach leading from summit.JPG

Ben Vorlich - silhouette.JPG
Last edited by rockhopper on Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Re: Munro no.2

Postby Jockstar » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:41 am

Was this walk quite straighforward then? Sorry but haven't ventured that way yet. !
Jockstar
Munro compleatist

Munros:53   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby mountain coward » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:34 am

I'm looking forward to Ben Vorlich (that one) - it looks a great hill! Some superb pics there, especially like the first summit shot :D
mountain coward

Postby rockhopper » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:06 pm

Jockstar
It was a fairly long time ago but I think it must've been fairly straightforward as we were quite new to hill walking and it was in the snow in winter. That said, we didn't go on to Stuc a Chroin as it was supposed to be a bit trickier with scrambly bits and we thought it may have been too slippy for us at that point.

MC
Thanks. After the end of 1987 I hardly climbed any hills at all for over 20 years and am only now getting back into it. :D
rockhopper

Postby Graeme D » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:00 pm

Wow! Stunning! And from 1897 as well! Thought you looked a bit different to my recollection of you when I bumped into you recently on Oss! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I hadn't paid attention to the date at first until I read the first couple of replies. This report actually really chimes with me - I climbed Ben Vorlich the following year, 1988, although I honestly do not know whether I truly summited that day or not. It was my final year at school and it was a charity fundraiser event. I had little real interest in the hills in those days and had never even stopped to contemplate the idea of actually climbing all the Munros. Not surprisingly I had no camera with me that day in 1988 so sadly I cannot submit a retro-report like this one. It was another 16 years until I stood on the summit of Schiehallion and officially counted that as my first Munro and more than 20 years until I reached number 3! I have since been back and officially registered Vorlich, but ironically I forgot my camera that day so STILL have no photographic evidence. :(
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby rockhopper » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:59 pm

Cheers Graeme. There seem to be quite a few people who climb a small number initially then leave off for a long time. I'm starting planning a few longer trips but probably won't manage them until next year.
Also, I've never tried wild camping (last time I slept in a tent was in the BB in the 1970's) but I'm thinking about getting a tent etc to try it..........mostly down to you and your reports I must say :D :D
rockhopper

Postby houdi » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:11 am

Nice pics. I have done these two twice - once in summer and once on New Year's Day. They definitely look better with a covering of snow, especially Stuc a Chroin. Saw my first (and only) mountain hares on Vorlich.
houdi
Rambler

Munros:93   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:74
Wainwrights:48   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland