walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Shutlingsloe, a drunk, 12 miles and a wedding !

Shutlingsloe, a drunk, 12 miles and a wedding !

Postby susanmyatt » Sun May 24, 2009 1:46 pm

Date walked: 24/05/2009

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hi everyone, hope you are enjoying the Bank Holiday sunshine :D We decided on a short car journey yesterday so we travelled to our side of the Peak District and parked up at Gradbach. OS Explorer Map OL24....GR SJ 998 662........We had our customary brekky in Leek so were fuelled up for our walk, the weather was lovely as we walked towards Three Shires Head.
IMG_1629.JPG
Up the valley to 3 Shires Head

This is where the three counties of Staffordshire, Cheshire and Derbyshire meet.
IMG_1631.JPG
Steve, Alan and myself
IMG_1636.JPG
The gang on 3 Shires Head Bridge

As we climbed the steep part of Shutlingsloe at 506m we were afforded some good views.
IMG_1649.JPG
Views from top

The summit and a team photo.
IMG_1654.JPG
Gang on Shutlingsloe

Another summit view.
IMG_1656.JPG
View from summit

The top is always a good place to have a minute and take in the scenery.
IMG_1661.JPG
Having a minute!

It was a glorious day and we could see for miles :D
IMG_1667.JPG
See for miles

As we meandered across the countryside we passed through Wildboarclough and towards The Roaches, we encounter many people on our walks and I'm sure some of them think we are strange but it's the first time we had come across a person the worst for booze. :lol:
IMG_1676.JPG
Day after the night before

It was nice to see the Bluebells out.
IMG_1677.JPG
Bluebell glade

We were racking up the miles now, a rest in the shade or a Bridge Too Far.
IMG_1679.JPG
Bridge Too Far

Well we had seen the drinker but what a shock to see a little old lady out on the hills, complete with zimmer :D
IMG_1685.JPG
The old lady is third from the left

We were nearing the end of the walk and thought it had been a bit strange but we hadn't finished yet, the icing on the cake, so to speak, was a wedding complete with kilts and a piper, specially for our cousins in Scotland :D
IMG_1688.JPG
Glad it's not windy
IMG_1690.JPG
Oh, the sound of the pipes !

Well, after gate crashing the wedding, poor girl, it was back to the car, as I said 12 miles and only two weeks to Yorkshire, getting ever closer, take care all :D
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:94
Wainwrights:141   

Re: Shutlingsloe, a drunk, 12 miles and a wedding !

Postby GarryH » Sun May 24, 2009 5:05 pm

Another great report Susan from my favourite area of the Peak District.No matter how many times we visit Three
Shires Head and that is alot, we still enjoy just being there! We were up there a couple of weeks ago walking from
Flash to the Cat and FIddle via Axe Edge moor, Danebower,Wolf Edge and back.
To think you`ve got to do twice the distance you did on this walk in a fortnight, must be as psychologicaly challenging as the physical effort required.
But the best of luck to you and the gang.
GarryH

Postby susanmyatt » Sun May 24, 2009 8:25 pm

Thanks Garry, I have also walked this area with my husband and also over in the Goyt Valley area which we enjoy, beautiful scenery. :D
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Postby mountain coward » Mon May 25, 2009 12:54 am

Great report and lovely pics Susan - what on Earth were those scare-crow-like things?
mountain coward

Postby susanmyatt » Mon May 25, 2009 6:58 pm

Hi, I think they are like Aunt Sally's, must have been a village event, like some have well dressings. It was a little surreal to come upon them with no warning. They made us smile and we never pass up a photo opportunity :)
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Postby mountain coward » Mon May 25, 2009 11:20 pm

So was the bride doing it for real? or another Aunt Sally?;-)
mountain coward

Postby 37lumleyst » Tue May 26, 2009 8:44 am

Hi Sue – good report, I liked that.

It looks like a gentler affair than some of your postings, especially the 15 miles over Cat bells to Dale Head the other week :lol:

I came across a regional event last year in Cheshire, well Congleton to be exact. It’s called the Brereton Bear hunt – families are encouraged to make a bear and place it prominently at the front of their property, then the event organisers make a treasure type trail for the village kids to follow. Some of the farmers build huge bears in all sorts of guises – its all good fun and sounds very similar to the ‘scare crows’ you encountered on your walk :)
37lumleyst

Munros:6   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:49
Wainwrights:56   

Postby susanmyatt » Tue May 26, 2009 9:07 am

Thanks Paul, we aren't too far from Congleton, we have lots of well dressing near us. Sorry about Middlesborough :(
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Postby 37lumleyst » Tue May 26, 2009 2:57 pm

Don’t worry about Middlesbrough Sue – I’m one of the few people who live in the N.E. that doesn’t eat, sleep or breathe football. Thankfully it’s not my chosen sport :D
37lumleyst

Munros:6   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:49
Wainwrights:56   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland