walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Narnain & Beinn Ime

Beinn Narnain & Beinn Ime

Postby Creeno » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:44 pm

Route description: Beinn Narnain and Beinn Ìme

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Ìme, Beinn Narnain

Date walked: 30/10/2010

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 13.5 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hello Walk Highlands, I've recently took up hiking and i've been using the site for maps, routes and reviews for all my hikes so far, thought it was time I put something back in, :D :D

After a terrible week of weather the forecast was promising for a Sunday hike, so we headed up to Arrochar to take on Beinn Narnain & Beinn Ime. Arrived in the car park around 8.30am, there was lots of low lying fog and mist and bascially we could hardly see 10ft in front of us. We decided to head over to the Arrochar Hotel for a coffee hoping the fog would lift. After a coffee and a 20 minute wait the fog lifted and we got a cracking view of The Cobbler and our route up to Beinn Narnain
IMG_5820.JPG
The Cobbler & Beinn Narnain, Taken From The Arrochar Hotel

Finshed our coffee's had a toilet break :D then headed back to car park to start our hike, we knew once we got through the low lying fog it would be clear going for the rest of the hike.
IMG_5828.JPG
Argyll Forest Park, Starting Point

The Beinn Narnain track starting point is a bit hidden, looked more like a stream than a track, we actually walked by it but doubled back after a few minutes. After about a 10 minute walk we cleared the fog, the visibility from then on was great. Once we got a bit a altitude the views were unbelievable, the following pictures speak for themselves -
IMG_5841.JPG
If Anybody Ever Asks Why I Like Hiking, I'll Just Show Them These Pictures...............

IMG_5844.JPG
If Anybody Ever Asks Why I Like Hiking, I'll Just Show Them These Pictures...............

IMG_5851.JPG

IMG_5852.JPG

IMG_5856.JPG
Me

We could have basically sat there all day taking in the view, but we came up to bag a few Munro's, :D :D .

The hike up to Beinn Narnain was steep and rugged in parts, it was hard going with scrambling nearer the summit.
IMG_5875.JPG
Final Push Up Beinn Narnain

After a bit of scrambling we reached the summit. Clear skies, unbelievable views, great company couldn't ask for anymore !!!!!!
148179_442348730909_572760909_5842507_2089813_n.jpg
Beinn Narnain Summit

After some hot coffee and lunch we headed down from Beinn Narnain to attempt Beinn Ime. I found this part of the hike quite boggy, but with the weather we had that week we weren't surprised.
IMG_5899.JPG
View Of Beinn Ime Taken From Beinn Narnain

After getting to the base of Beinn Ime it took about 40 mins to hike to the summit, again the views were out of this world -
IMG_5922.JPG
View Of Beinn Narnain Taken From Beinn Ime

IMG_5919.JPG
View Of Loch Fyne

Didn't stay too long on the summit of Beinn Ime. We were considering hiking The Cobbler once we got off Beinn Ime, but it looked like the weather was going to turn plus we were knackered, :lol: :lol: , so we decided against it and headed back to the car park. Save The Cobbler for another day !!!!!!

Got a few nice pictures of The Clobbler on our hike back to the car park -
IMG_5942.JPG
The Cobbler

IMG_5947.JPG
The Cobbler

What else can I say, what a great day, you wouldn't beleive it was only 1 day until November :D :D :D
I would highly recommend bagging Beinn Narnain & Beinn Ime. The views were out of the world and the scrambling up Beinn Narnain was terrific !!!!!!!!!!!!!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKTQTaLUOGQ[/youtube]
Last edited by Creeno on Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Creeno
Mountaineer

Munros:228   Corbetts:15
Fionas:5   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Re: Beinn Narnain & Beinn Ime

Postby David.Ferguson » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:45 pm

Nice pictures Creeno.These were a couple of my first Munro attempts as well.The hike up the front of Narnain is a leg burner,nice introduction to a wee bit of scrambling.

David.
David.Ferguson
Munro compleatist

Munros:43   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby brizo67 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:00 pm

great pictures creeno,me and my big mate wullie saw you up on ben narnain,big wull took the pic of the three of you,wish i remembered my camera,it was a fantastic day,with a cloud inversion,and even the rescue helicopter was out for a look about, past about a 100ft over our heads just at the pass between the steps for the cobbler and narnain/ime brill.even saw a herd of deer on the way down with two stags passing just in front of us....amazing..and no camera...still it was a great day and just makes you want more... :D
brizo67
Mountaineer

Munros:7   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   

Postby monty » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:41 pm

Nice report Creeno. The weather was kind to you and you got some amasing pictures. Great stuff :D
monty

Postby jonny616 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:22 pm

Good pics Creeno. I've also been lucky enough to be on Narnain under clear sky. Not Ime though, couldn't see a thing!

regards

Jonny
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby jwramsay » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:52 pm

Beinn Ime:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFZqHonqreA[/youtube]

Beinn Narnain:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3sia7i5H9E[/youtube]

Ben Arthur (The Cobbler):
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vj619zJx4wc[/youtube]
jwramsay
Mountain Walker

Munros:109   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   Donalds:3

Postby Creeno » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:38 pm

Thanks everyone for the comments...........great day !!!!!!!!!

brizo67........great meeting you's up at the summit, tell your mate he takes a quality photo :D :D :D
Creeno
Mountaineer

Postby spartacus » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:32 am

nice report, great pics looks fantastic.
spartacus

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:3   

Postby rockhopper » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:18 am

Nice first report Creeno and some great photos - particularly like photos 3 and 4 looking into the sun :D keep it up
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Creeno » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:12 pm

Cheers Rockhopper, we cracked it with the weather, some of the pictures turned out great, couldn't have asked for a better day........

I'll be writing more trips reports after I bag a few more Munros, :-) :-) :-)
Creeno
Mountaineer

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland