walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

five wae a bike n boot

five wae a bike n boot

Postby mgmt! » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:21 pm

Munros included on this walk: An Sgarsoch, An Socach (Braemar), Beinn Iutharn Mhòr, Càrn an Fhìdhleir (Càrn Ealar), Càrn Bhac

Date walked: 30/10/2010

Time taken: 14 hours

Distance: 76 km

Ascent: 2064m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

when learning my usual walking punter had swerved me for the promise of grander ridges i decided on a good long challege over the weekend. the plan was for two days of walking taking in 5 munros and a night wild camping. i set out from glasgow just after 7, after the bbc weather forcast, and drove in the terrible weather over the cairnwell to invery. it was to wet and dark so i settled dow in the chataue des astra estate wae a glass of wine checking over my route. who needs a camper van if you are short the estate was braw. after some breakfast and a brew i got on my (daughters) bike and set off for altanour lodge, 8.30.
arrived at the lodge at 9.30, crossed the bridge at the rear of the lodge and headed steeply for an socach's north ridge, it was a good pull to reach the ridge but out of the wind which was blowing from the south. once on the 850 line the wind increased but not to the intensity i was expexting. arrived at the summit and after a quick picture i set off south picking up an obvious path to bealach below and climbing and vearing right to the north east end of loch nan eun raising lots of grouse and white colour changing hare in this boggy valley.
after a little food n water i climbed to the eastern ridge of mam nan carn, the bealach i was heading for was clearly vissable so i contoured round to it an gained the ridge to the second munro beinn lutharn mhor, lovely clear skies but still a tad windy paused briefly before heading along its fine ridge to decend north across a long and boggy section before reaching my final munro of carn bhac. with fine vissability i decended a soft grassy hillside raising what looked like an owl ? the wildlife people might enlighten me definetly not a buzzard, to gain a path back to the lodge. got back on the bike and arrived back at the car at 3 30, 7 hours.
after a welcoming brew i drove up to the linn o dee, parked the car and loaded my camping gear into a rucksack intending to camp at geldie lodge. i left the car at 4 30 and set off with heavy rucksack and tired legs. after an hour and knackered i reached a nts building tired and hungry i set up the tent got out the stove, pasta n sauce, half a large fruit tart and a couple of glasses of wine i settled down weary eyed listening to the stags roaring, saturdays alright for fighting came into my head as i dreamed about tomorows forte.
bright eyed and bushytailed i set of at 9 on sunday, and within 30 minutes i was crossing the geldie burn and heading west along a good path toward my first munro of the day carnan fhidhleir, at the end of the path i seem to take ages to reach the ridge but once there the going got easier and the summit was soon gained. the wind was still on the strong side so i decided to drop to the next bealach to have some food out of the wind. fuelled up i set of and gained the summit of my final munro an sgarsoch, just managed to get a summit photo before the battery packed up. i set of down the north ridge to pick up the path back to geldie lodge and biked back to the tent, final brew up and i had to finnish that fruit tart (didnt want all that weight in my pack) and headed back to the linn o dee, 3pm. gave the bike a good wash above the falls along wae my boots n gaiters, loaded the car and was back in glasgow for 6. with the windy conditions i tried a montane marathon windshirt i got for running, there was quite a bit of rain and loads of wind and i thought it coped great didnt feel the need to get out my main waterproof once. anyway thats my first report, hope it wasnt to long, please excuse any bad spelling or grammar !
mgmt
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by mgmt! on Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
mgmt!
Mountaineer

Re: five wae a bike n boot

Postby LeithySuburbs » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:55 pm

mgmt! wrote:i had to finnish that large tart

are you describing a bad night out in Glasgow :lol: .

mgmt! wrote:please excuse its length and any bad spelling

the length is fine...;)
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Re: five wae a bike n boot

Postby mgmt! » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:12 am

or a good night ! post edited looks like i need to watch the grammar too !
mgmt!
Mountaineer

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland