walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mount Keen by moonlight

Mount Keen by moonlight

Postby Alastair S » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:43 pm

Route description: Mount Keen by Glen Tanar

Munros included on this walk: Mount Keen

Date walked: 30/10/2010

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 28.4 km

Ascent: 952m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Cycling: 2hr, 21km
Walking: 2.5 hr, 7.4km

Mount Keen (actual).gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Mount Keen profile.jpg

Frankly I’d had enough of the wild campers showing off their amazing sunset & sunrise photos so came up with a cunning plan. Well, not that cunning really – more like the bleeding obvious: get up at a ridiculous early hour and get up a hill before sunrise. For me it would only be worth the effort if there was a good chance of a decent atmospheric display and as I haven’t done any night walking before I wanted some decent moonlight. I was hoping to do this nearer the winter solstice but using the excellent The Photographer's Ephemeris I saw that around this time the moon was only out during the day. So when a cloud free gap appeared in the forecast last weekend I went for it. Going now also had the advantage that it wouldn’t be too cold. The only potential fly in the ointment was the predicted high winds (they weren’t wrong).

Mount Keen was the obvious hill for this venture as it is my closest Munro & I hadn’t bagged it yet. As it turned out the day split up in nice hour sized chunks: up at 4am, on my MTB at Glen Tanar at 5am, back on my feet at Shiel of Glentanar at 6am and at the top by 7am.

I’d recced the MTB approach a few week ago and knew it was a decent track to the Shiel of Glentanar. I was also my first bit of night-time off-road MTB’ing and thanks to an excellent (but not cheap) Cateye front light (a HL-EL530) this was no problem. This time I hadn’t forgotten by bike lock and used the nice new(ish) footbridge at the sheil as a bike rack.

Off up the track and I soon dispensed with my head torch and was rubbing my hands in glee – a brilliant (half) moon and star lit sky with a few high fluffy clouds. But half an hour latter things weren’t looking so bright. The strong SW wind had brought in low cloud and there were even a few spots of rain :( . But the cloud was fairly thin (the moon was still visible) and it still looked clear to the East (I could still see the lights of Aberdeen).

So got to the summit and it was blowing a hoolie up there (I did think of all those WH’ers over in Glen Coe) but there is a lot of shelter (& shelters) to be had up there. Put on all my kit and hunkered down for some breakfast. As it turned out the twilight & sunrise was obscured by cloud but about 20 minutes after sunrise the cloud broke up somewhat and I got some good shots of the sun shinning though.

Was up around the summit for 2 hours in all (the times at the report header have been adjusted for a 15 minute stop) and so was on by way back my 9am. Had a more leisurely walk/cycle back in lovely sunshine. Came across some walkers & a cyclist going the other way around 10:30. Thoughtfully refrained from bragging that I’d already done the hill.

I should really have taken some time to attempt some moonshine pictures on the way out - now I’ve done this I’ll know for next time. Could have been home for elevenses but for some errands on the way back. And yes, I did have a wee snooze on the sofa in the afternoon :D

View SE towards Glen Esk

View N towards Morven

Mount Keen Sunrise #2

Mount Keen Sunrise #3

View S to Glen Mark

Glen Mark again

Water of Tanar with Mount Keen in background

Water of Tanar at Glen Tanar house
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Re: Mount Keen by moonlight

Postby malky_c » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:58 pm

Looks like that paid off for you anyway :D

Some really good shots there. Well worth the early start!
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby kinley » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:06 pm

8) Cracking - can't beat that light 8)
kinley

Postby Merry-walker » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:36 pm

FANTASTIC and diverse angle and approach to doing a hill. The pictures show how lovely this place is... :D
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby kevsbald » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:43 pm

Cracking Al.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby potace » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:47 am

Nice one.
potace
Mountain Walker

Munros:205   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   

Postby monty » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:51 am

some spectacular photos there Alistair. :D
monty

Postby Gable Gable End » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:41 am

a cracking hill that always gets stick for being "boring", I enjoy Keen and the views on a good day are outstanding.

Alistair, love these photos; stunning!
Gable Gable End
Mountaineer

Munros:64   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:7   

Postby Alastair S » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:43 pm

Thanks all :D

Now that I know I can get out of bed and be at the top 3 hrs latter (so long as I've got organised the night before) I know I'll be doing this again when a suitable opportunity arises. There's a full moon the day before the winter solstice this year so I'll be keeping my weather eye out then (even though the moon will be setting just after dawn).
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Postby gypsy jazzer » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:35 pm

looks to be what its all about cracking photos
nice one
gypsy jazzer
Munro compleatist

Munros:4   

Postby skuk007 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:41 pm

Really nice light in all those photos, well worth the effort of the early start.
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby CurlyWurly » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:45 am

Awesome stuff. Love the first picture - looks like the sky is on fire
CurlyWurly
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:47
Fionas:17   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:51
Wainwrights:50   

Postby Merry-walker » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:50 pm

This has given me food for thought, are there many people who walk in the moonlight? It looks quite an experience :think:
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby Alastair S » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:06 pm

This was my first moonlight trip but it won't be my last. I've been out at twilight at both ends of the day before and this excellent report Sgulaird Solstice Sunrise shows that I'm not the only one to tackle full night conditions. I guess it just takes a bit a preparation and keeping a eye out for the right weather & lunar conditions.
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Postby lomondwalkers » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:59 pm

Stunning pictures Alastair, well worth the early rise :D
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Munros:143   Corbetts:57
Fionas:57   Donalds:73
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland