walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall a'Bhuachaille

Meall a'Bhuachaille

Postby GraemeMac » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:12 pm

Route description: Meall a' Bhuachaille circuit, Glenmore

Corbetts included on this walk: Meall a' Bhuachaille

Date walked: 03/11/2010

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 9 km

Ascent: 630m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

So with 3 days off from work I had a good look at the mountain weather forecast for England, Scotland and Wales and everywhere was supposed to be pretty bad apart from the Cairngorms. The Cairngorms had always been lower down on my list of walking areas to go to as I didn’t think the scenery would appeal to me hugely, due to the more rounded nature of the hills. So with a completely open mind we set off stupidly early in the morning from Newcastle to Aviemore with the intention of doing a walk the next day.

Whenever I plan a walk for us I nearly always have a couple in mind and end up deciding at the last possible minute in the car which one to do. Today was no exception so we stopped at Loch Morlich (which looked brilliant in the early morning sun) to decide between Cairn Gorm and the northern corries or Meall a’Buachaille. In the end we went for Meall a’Buachaille because the wind was supposed to be very strong on the highest tops and we didn’t think it would be too much fun clinging on for dear life at the top of the corries.

Set off from the visitor centre car park through a forest track with some great looking pines. The path levels off and the views start to open up.
1.jpg

The view is brilliant over Glen More and Rothiemurchus towards Cairn Gorm. In my relatively short walking experience there has only been a couple of times I’ve had to keep reminding myself I’m in Scotland, those being Loch Coruisk and this view here. It all felt very Canadian due to the vastness of it all and the amount of trees. The pine trees looked brilliant in the early morning sun.
2.jpg

Turned left up the path at Ryvoan bothy.
3.jpg

One of the lochs looked almost looked like it was in a desert the way that the sun was shining on it.
4.jpg

The bothy is already at about 400 metres above sea level so the ascent was enjoyably quick up a good path.
5.jpg

Great views from the summit and as it expected the wind was extremely strong. The shelter on top was brilliantly positioned and we were easily able to sit and have lunch. Cloud kept on sweeping over Cairn Gorm whilst we remained cloud free which made me think we definitely made the right decision to do this one.
6.jpg

Decided to take the path which goes directly back to the visitor centre instead of going over Creagan Gorm as we didn’t want to risk being knackered by the end of the walk. Again the path was great fun going down with the view of Loch Morlich and Cairn Gorm in front of you all the time. The light streaming down from behind Cairn Gorm added great effect to it all.
7.jpg
shame about the devastation in the foreground

Last part of the walk joins up with the path near the start and back to the visitor centre. Overall probably the best walk we’ve done so far due to the great variation of scenery. Definitely going to try and do this in winter.
10.jpg
Extremely haunting looking tree
GraemeMac

Munros:32   Corbetts:11
Fionas:8   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:28
Wainwrights:37   

Re: Meall a'Bhuachaille

Postby mountain coward » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:41 am

That's a great looking tree in that last pic! :D Still haven't done those yet (will do Creagan Gorm as well when I go up) but they look a great walk. It looked very steep up from Ryvoan Bothy when I looked at the walk though... I just love that area - scenically and for walking :D
mountain coward

Re: Meall a'Bhuachaille

Postby GraemeMac » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:29 pm

mountain coward wrote:That's a great looking tree in that last pic! :D Still haven't done those yet (will do Creagan Gorm as well when I go up) but they look a great walk. It looked very steep up from Ryvoan Bothy when I looked at the walk though... I just love that area - scenically and for walking :D

the path was really good and wasnt that steep.Think they have constructed a new path (which is the one we took) but the other path did look steep in places. Ive definitely fallen for the area now after thinking that i wouldnt be too impressed by it.
GraemeMac

Munros:32   Corbetts:11
Fionas:8   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:28
Wainwrights:37   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland