walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glenshee: Carn an Tuirc, Cairn of Cliase and Glas Maol

Glenshee: Carn an Tuirc, Cairn of Cliase and Glas Maol

Postby nathan79 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:18 pm

Munros included on this walk: Cairn of Claise, Càrn an Tuirc, Glas Maol

Date walked: 04/10/2010

Time taken: 4.45 hours

Distance: 13 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I forgot i hadn't completed this older walk report so i figured i might as well now.

Thought i'd take advantage of a Monday off and take to the high ground. I'd set my mind on either the Glas Maol 4 or the Cairnwell 3.

Got up early with the intention of being done my early afternoon, but ended up setting off from my car about 13:30. Clear enough day, but i noticed the clouds were racing faster and faster the closer i got to Glenshee. First time i've been up that way, didn't realise there were so many ski runs. You don't really notice the chairlift set ups against the grassy slopes.

Passed a couple and their dog returning to the car park, and a guy ahead of me taking a horse up into the hills, but that was the only humans i saw all day. Bliss!

A boggy slog up Carn an Tuirc, glad i put the gaiters on. . One of those seemingly never ending climbs, i'm starting to think i need a few miles and a couple of thousand feet before i'm warmed up and can enjoy myself. As often happens, paused to play with a frog for a bit.
DSCF2539.JPG
Carn an Tuirc in the distance.

DSCF2541.JPG
peek-a-boo

Plenty of grouse and ptarmigan to be seen, but i wasn't quick enough with my camera.

By the time i got up to the rocky section of Cairn an Tuirc, i was fighting the wind. I'm not exactly a lightweight, but it was looking for an opportunity to knock me off my feet. Glad to make it to the summit cairn, at least now i'd got teh biggest ascent out of the way.
DSCF2549.JPG
Carn an Tuirc summit

The walk to Cairn of Claise was right in to the wind. I learned on this stretch of the walk that no matter how much you shout and growl at the wind it won't leave you alone.

DSCF2551.JPG
Cairn of Claise summit

The route up to the Glas Maol summit was teeming with hares. They were pretty quick to scarper when i got anywhere near them.
DSCF2564.JPG
Ponderous hare

DSCF2567.JPG
RUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!

Glad to reach the Glas Maol summit and get a bit of shelter at the cairn. Sat down for a roll and a coffee before taking in the views.
DSCF2575.JPG
Glas Maol summit

I'd said to myself i'd do Creag Leacach if i had the time, but with the late set-off i was concerned about daylight running out, so i cut back over Sron na Gaoithe to get back to the car and i'll bag that on it's on another day.
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Munros:103   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:16   Islands:7

Re: Glenshee: Carn an Tuirc, Cairn of Cliase and Glas Maol

Postby Merry-walker » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:25 pm

crackin' pictures Nathan :thumbup:
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby nathan79 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:56 pm

Cheers. I had no camera issues that day thankfully.

pano.jpg
West of Glas Maol.
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Munros:103   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:16   Islands:7

Postby monty » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:09 pm

HI Nathan,
Nice pictures. Nice Hare silhouette and pictures of the hares running away. :D Thats the best ski area in Scotland in my view. :lol: If the wind was blowing you around I am glad I wasn't up there :lol:
monty

Postby kinley » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:37 pm

Love the multiple hares shot :thumbup:
kinley

Postby davetherave » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:59 pm

nathan79 wrote:I'd said to myself i'd do Creag Leacach if i had the time,

I was thinking to myself what about the 4th one.....Creag Leacach....

Late starts and shorter walking days are a bit of a pain, atleast you made the right choice to get of before dark set in.

You could combine Creag Leacach with the corbett Monamenach at a later date... :)
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Postby mountain coward » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:24 am

Love the wildlife pics - especially the 'bunnies' :D That's probably the only kind of area I'd go up with a bad wind! :D Unusual to see a horse in the hills!
mountain coward

Postby LeithySuburbs » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:02 am

Love the frog photo - looks like it's posing :lol: .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland