walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Macdui & Derry Cairngorm from the ski centre

Ben Macdui & Derry Cairngorm from the ski centre

Postby baggervance » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:22 pm

Route description: Ben Macdui and Cairngorm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Macdui, Cairn Gorm

Date walked: 05/11/2010

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 24 km

Ascent: 1533m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After an aborted attempt at the Braeriach, Angels Peak, Cairn Toul and Devils Point circle via Chalamain (got lost in cloud near summit of Braer and got a bit spooked so turned back. I thought he who turns and runs away - lives). Anyway baggin Braer was pointless as I would have to return the same to get the others.

So my next big walk of the week was Ben Macdui and Derry Cairngorm from the ski centre. Visibility was about 400 yards but it looked promising for some inversion nearer the top ~ I was excited as I sooooo want to walk up through the clouds to clear blue sky (for once pleeease). Especially since it was my birthday today ~ come on

Cracked on at a rocket pace and the cloud was getting thinner (excitment growing). Got up to the peak alongside Lurchers and blue sky was starting to break through very faintly. (I'm gonna see it, I'm gonna see it). Now settled into a good walking pace and all eating and drinking would be done on the run as I had set off a bit late at 9.20 and had to beat the downing of the sun (or the darkening of the clouds whichever it was going to be). Now onto the plateau approach to Ben Macdui and the cloud was still threatening to lift (I could see the sun through it). Met a guy coming the other way with his dog. Chatted for a few minutes ~ it was his first time in the Cairngorms. Then cracked on ~ reached summit at 11.32 a little behind schedule. Cloud was not for clearing and visibility was now about 200 yards ~ ba***rd!!!! Seen another group of 4 through the grey coming up from the Linn of Dee side, chatted for a few minutes before setting off in the direction they had come from. Made sure I did not drop too far as I did not want to have to regain more height than necessary before making the right turn at the lights for Derry Cairngorm. Making real good time now because I had convinced myself unless I moved it, I would not make it out in the light. Managed to make the summit at 12.40 after thinking the first cairn was it (I hate when that happens). Unpacked some more grub and headed back to find the drop to Loch Avon and up my exit route through Coire Raibeirt.

Weather was now turning even worse with sleety snow coming down. Finally got to the start of the main drop into Loch Avon after passing Loch Etchachan (1.30pm) and because I was dropping out the cloud I could start to make out the Loch basin. Sharp intakes of breath because even in these crap conditions it was awe inspiring. Once down into thinner cloud I cast my eye over to my exit route. S H 1 T !!! do I need to climb that (I was now feeling my quick pace).

Still aware of the time I got down to Loch Avon at 2.00pm and I decided to cut across the river missing out on passing the shelter stone (which I dearly wanted to visit ~ ah well I'll be back). Now started the climb up the angled path to CR and fell on the slippy rocks OUCH YA F****N B*****D or words to that effect.

I must admit although it was hard coming up the steep part of CR it is a cracking little scrambley track. Reached the top of the steep bit and headed up and straight over the col down to the other side where I picked up the road down to the car at 3.50pm.

Knackered but what an awesome walk ~ I just wish the weather had been better.

I will come back and add some photos
Attachments
IMG00031-20101105-1102.jpg
Plateau on the way up to BM
IMG00032-20101105-1131.jpg
Is that a small cairn I see before me (BM summit)
IMG00033-20101105-1157.jpg
I think this is Narrow Gully
IMG00034-20101105-1158.jpg
Another view of Narrow Gully (I think)
IMG00035-20101105-1159.jpg
Route down from BM summit
IMG00036-20101105-1244.jpg
The DC summit - NOT!!!
IMG00037-20101105-1246.jpg
The real DC summit - yeah
IMG00038-20101105-1344.jpg
A tantalising view of Loch Avon
IMG00039-20101105-1347.jpg
I think this is Shelter Stone crag looking foreboding
IMG00040-20101105-1348.jpg
View down to Loch Avon (pesky clouds)
IMG00041-20101105-1415.jpg
The way down from Loch Etchachan
IMG00042-20101105-1442.jpg
Looking back on the way up Coire Raibeirt
Last edited by baggervance on Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
baggervance
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:59
Fionas:5   Donalds:7

Re: Ben Macdui & Derry Cairngorm from the ski centre

Postby monty » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:36 pm

Nice one Bagger....
It was in the clag when I was up there so have to go back sometime. Thats a good pace you set. :D
monty

Postby mountain coward » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:07 am

And a big walk you did - it's a lot easier if you do it from Linn O' Dee/Derry Lodge (especially if you cycle to Derry Lodge) honest!

Don't worry about not spending time at the Shelter Stone - sneak preview... that's one of the things I'm planning to put out as another mini-meet on the meeting-up page for next year sometime - outside of the snowy season. I think it will be less comfortable than the Arrochar Caves night but should be good fun just the same :D

Great humorous report :D
mountain coward

Postby baggervance » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:29 pm

Photographs added :)
baggervance
Munro compleatist

Postby Merry-walker » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:42 pm

just been looking at this walk few minutes ago, I'd like to do this next year in the spring time

nice report and photos :)
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby baggervance » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:25 pm

Merry - This walk in clear weather would be simply stunning. The climb out via Coire Raibeirt is great ~ if not a little slippy!! (in winter anyway)

Look forward to your report when you do it :)
baggervance
Munro compleatist

Postby mountain coward » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:14 pm

Some great atmospheric photos there - especially like the 'Shelter Stone I think' one! Looks a very cold day you got though...
mountain coward

Postby kinley » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:27 pm

One of my favorite walks from the N to Macdui - decent extension to Derry and/or Mheadhoin too.

Done it several times - every time a treat :D
kinley

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland