walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Belated WH meet report - Creise & Meall a' Bhuiridh

Belated WH meet report - Creise & Meall a' Bhuiridh

Postby LeithySuburbs » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:59 am

Route description: Creise and Meall a'Bhùiridh from the Ski centre

Munros included on this walk: Creise, Meall a' Bhùiridh

Date walked: 31/10/2010

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 1110m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

With Stretch having promised to be the far side of Rannoch Moor on Sunday, I was confident of a good days' weather on these 2 ski lift scarred Munros ;) . I arrived at the Glencoe Ski Centre carpark full of enthusiasm with Radman, Webby, Jackie and LazyHungarian, only to have that bubble burst when I realized I had left my jacket back at the bunkhouse :? . I dashed back to the bunkhouse and grabbed my jacket, drove to the Clachaig and realized I had also forgot my umbrella :lol: - at least I hadn't gone too far :? .

Therefore, it was about 40 minutes after the rest of the WH crew had set off that I got back to the carpark. I was now not so much enthusiastic as a wee bit p1ssed off. It was challenge time: beat those less forgetful sods to the summit of Meall a' Bhuiridh ;) . I wolfed down a couple of cereal bars and set off up the steep initial climb on the well made but eroded path (path erosion would seem to be a minor scar when it is competing with ski tows and mountain bike routes :? ). The air was still and, moving quickly, I soon worked up a Clachaig scented sweat. Views behind to Rannoch Moor were good but I was more concentrated on pressing on.

Rannoch Moor 1.jpg

As the path levelled, I did take the time for a breather and a photo or two. The ski tows were ugly but Creise had come into view and looked an impressive peak :).

First glimpse of Creise.jpg

I could see the route other walkers were taking - across the Allt nan Giubhas to the col between Creag Dhubh and Ma'B and along it's easy graded north shoulder. "I'm not going to catch them that way" I thought, so headed straight up the NW flanks by the chair lifts.

Meall a' Bhuiridh.jpg

When I was able to forget about the ironmongery, this turned out to be a nice route on firm rocky ground next to small streams and with a little easy scrambling. I stopped for my first break by the 2 buildings at point NN 255 509 looking out over Rannoch Moor. It was cold but, in the lee of the hill, it felt like great weather for walking. A glance at the map showed just 0.75km and 250m ascent to the top - "come on - let's beat those sods :lol: ".

Half an hour over easy and increasingly snowy/frosty ground brought me to the summit where I met RadMan and Jackie waiting - "damn, too slow" I thought :lol: . It had taken 1h15min (Monty eat your heart out :lol: ) and I was drenched in sweat, but high on endorphines. "Did you pass the other two?" asks RadMan. "I came the direct route so haven't seen anyone" I reply. Jackie is keen to get going with a 7 hour drive ahead of her so sets off to Creise just as Webby and LazyHungarian appear. I have to convince them that I did NOT take the chair lift :lol: .

the way to Creise.jpg

Therefore, mission only half accomplished for me ( ;) ) and I decided to take the rest of the day a bit more leisurely. The route to Creise was short and enjoyable across the narrow col and up the steep rocky path to the ridge. There was some more easy scrambling on this secton. Jackie was powering ahead, leaving me and RadMan panting to keep up - nothing like a 7 hour drive to motivate you :lol: . The weather was such a contrast to the Saturday on Beinn a' Bheithir and there were impressive views to the west and back to Ma'B.

Meall a' Bhuiridh from Creise.jpg

easy ridge to Creise.jpg

Glen Etive.jpg

An easy final pull brought us to the summit of the 2nd Munro where we met some more WalkHighlanders (not on the meet) who turned out to be Jonny616 and crew [world domination beckons Paul ;)].

Stobs na Doire & Broige.jpg

Now there was some furious map checking - surely we didn't have to go back over Ma'B :evil: ? Alas we did, as no-one fancied the river crossing and bogfest we would have faced were we to have attempted to create a circuit by descending over Sron na Creise. With a bit of cloud now enveloping the higher slopes, it was easy to get our heads down and plough on back up Ma'B. After a short break we descended the grassy northern slopes of Ma'B. As the cloud cleared again I took some more photos, now in no hurry at all. The words "Japanese tourist" may have escaped from Jackie's lips :lol: .

Buachaille.jpg

We bumped into some very tame deer who seemed not the slightest bit perturbed by our and other walkers' presence.

very tame deer.jpg

RadMan and me now started to "joke" about getting the chair lift the rest of the way back to the carpark. With a little persuasion, Jackie agreed to see what the score was.

Me: "is it ok if we hop on?".
Glencoe Ski Centre staffer: "yes, if you pay the operator £5."
Me: "£5! Are you having a laugh?! We'll walk, thanks."
Smug jobsworth: "enjoy your walk"

All this was largely irrelevant as none of us had our wallets anyway :lol: . Me and Radman stumbled down the steep final section back to the carpark and Jackie left us trailing in her wake. She just glided down this knee jerking bit. Must be good genes... About 20 minutes after getting back to the car we were joined by Webby and LazyHungarian. Goodbyes were said and we went our separate ways.

This was a great day with some great company - roll on the next meet :D .

PS. I'm not a competitive person and am normally a slow-coach on the hills. I hope you can tell this report is written with tongue planted firmly in cheek :) .
PPS. Please excuse my flagrant (ab)use of the past historic tense :lol: .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Re: Belated WH meet report - Creise & Meall a' Bhuiridh

Postby monty » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:19 am

Nice report Leithy...,
A nice couple of munros with a good connecting ridge.I was almost impressed but you got to the summit and two WH's were there already, then Jackie powered away from you across the ridge :lol: :lol: none the less you done good young man. nice report. :D
monty

Postby malky_c » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:34 am

LeithySuburbs wrote:I soon worked up a Clachaig scented sweat

Hmm, think I may have experienced one of those on the Saturday as well :lol:

Nice report - certainly some nice autumnal colours in amongst the ironmongery :wink:
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby mountainstar » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:13 pm

I realized I had left my jacket back at the bunkhouse . I dashed back to the bunkhouse and grabbed my jacket, drove to the Clachaig and realized I had also forgot my umbrella - at least I hadn't gone too far .

At least you never left them....like I did 400 miles away, and more important...a tent! :oops: :sick:
Well done..other-wise!
mountainstar
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:221
Fionas:24   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:217
Wainwrights:214   Islands:24

Postby Jockstar » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:54 pm

As I was at the top of Beinn an Dothaidh I thought I saw you in the distance haring up the ski lift
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Jockstar
Munro compleatist

Munros:53   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby Stretch » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:06 pm

Excuse me sir, but we had fine weather over toward the Bridge of Orchy, despite my presence :lol: I thought Sanders came along with you guys on this walk?
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby RadMan » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:35 pm

Great report there Dougie, really enjoyed that walk and with good company aswell :thumbup:

Sanders was claiming to have a dodgy knee (translates as 'cant be bothered') so decided to hit road homeward. :lol:
RadMan
Munro compleatist

Munros:153   

Postby mountain coward » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:07 pm

I can't imagine anyone in their right mind descending Sron na Creise really...

Richard got the chair lift up the first bit and seemed to take forever to eventually pass me on my ascent (I was terrified of the thing and wouldn't get on it - certainly wouldn't to go down either!). I think in the end he beat me by about 10 minutes... but then I do steep uphill very well :D
mountain coward

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland