walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Loch an Daimh

Loch an Daimh

Postby ibush » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:23 pm

Munros included on this walk: Meall Buidhe (Glen Lyon), Stùcd an Lochain

Corbetts included on this walk: Sron a' Choire Chnapanich

Date walked: 10/04/2010

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 20 km

Ascent: 1067m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Brilliant sunny day, T-shirt and factor 50, but hardly a walk in the park. Taking up Cameron McNeish's challenge to do these hills the hard way and do the complete round, I set up Stuchd an Lochan with a spring in my step. A straightforward and pleasant climb was followed by a rather peaty and more arduous route to gain the upper slopes of Sron a'Choire Chnapanich where a pleasant lunch was used as an excuse to delay the rather off-putting, steep drop-off to the north of this Corbett. In fact without written evidence that it was possible, I would have said no-way. Fortunately it proved to be less of a challenge than I feared, but in snow, ice or mist I would go nowhere near. Unfortunately the extremely steep descent had to be followed by a very steep ascent to gain height to follow the long walk up to Meall Buidhe. Thank goodness for the very brief final descent to the car after a long hard day.
Attachments
DSCN0438b.jpg
Loch an Daimh in a reflective mood
ibush
Munro compleatist

Munros:265   Corbetts:78
Fionas:44   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Re: Loch an Daimh

Postby Johnny Corbett » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:04 pm

I did the exact same route a year past June and coming off the Corbett, was and still is the steepest descent i've ever had to make. I spent a bit of time on the summit as well, not having lunch, but looking for an easy way down but unfortunately there isn't one.In the end i just went for it after considering returning to Stuchd an Lochan, glad i did it though.
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby mountain coward » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:15 pm

What a superb photo! LOL to the suncream... I haven't had any on for the last 3 years now :( I'd love to see some warm weather - I suppose it's too late for this year now...
mountain coward

Postby rockhopper » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:44 pm

cracking picture and nice route - I was up these two munros in October but did the usual up/down round the dam then up/down and the weather wasn't great :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Graeme D » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:21 pm

Stunning photo! I really regretted having to give these two Corbetts a miss when I was rained off on a three day tour around Loch Lyon this summer. Can't wait to get back and try again - hope to get a day like this one when I do. 8)
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby 9queens » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:23 pm

I also took the Cameron McNeish challenge today and did the full circuit.

Wouldn't fancy that northern section up to Meall Buidhe in low cloud being a vast featureless moor / bog though there are some cairns to follow.

Today however was bright and sunny

Meall Buidhe from the car park looks a singularly uninspiring experience; glad I went for the full circle.
9queens
Munro compleatist

Munros:244   Corbetts:54
Fionas:10   Donalds:18
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:3   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland