walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

Just sneaking in...

Just sneaking in...

Postby tcam78 » Sat May 23, 2009 1:52 pm

Hi All,

I am a very newbie to walking having just completed the Hadrian's Wall path. I have yet to 'bag a Munro' but in my post-Wall elation I have taken a week in June and have decided to go to the Cairngorms to spend a week poking about. My initial idea is to base myself somewhere and then do day walks from there but I'm open to any suggestions if people have them.

I'm also trying to get into a bronze course for navigation so I can read a map by the time I get there as I'm sure the mountain rescue team doesn't particularly want to be searching for a directionally-challenged tourist.
tcam78

Munros:3   

Re: Just sneaking in...

Postby rogers » Sat May 23, 2009 4:15 pm

Hello and welcome tcam,well done on your Hadrians Wall trek,so now you fancy getting started on the Munros,well once you have navigated round this site you will soon be able to decide which one to start with,what about Ben Lomond? it is pretty straight forward as a climb but would suggest going up Ptarmigan ridge rather than the standard "tourist route"as that can be a bit busy. If you are going up to the Cairngorms you will have to make sure you are up to scratch with map reading and navigation skills.If you can get a copy of a book called " NAVIGATION techniques and skills for walkers" by Pete Hawkins,published by cicerone it's a great wee pocket size book,also if you are looking for walks in Scotland I would suggest "Scotlands 100 best walks" by Cameron Mcneish,I got mines at amazon. Hope to read about your climbs/walks in the future :)
rogers
Mountaineer

Munros:48   Corbetts:15
Fionas:11   Donalds:20
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:1

Postby sloosh » Sat May 23, 2009 9:13 pm

Hello. :)

Absolutely, the Cairngorms are a place you require map reading and navigation skills. Perhaps better to kick off with something a little more straightforwards like the Ben Lawers group? You do need your own transport to get there but there are some terrific walks to be had and while I wouldn't recommend having zero navigational skills on any munro, those paths are so well trodden it doesn't require the same skillset as say, Ben McDui, imo.

Have a look at the interactive map:
memberlist.php?mode=viewmap
sloosh

Munros:62   Corbetts:1

Postby cjwaugh » Sun May 24, 2009 6:27 pm

Welcome to the forum :)
cjwaugh

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:9   Donalds:27+0

Postby Myth » Mon May 25, 2009 11:09 am

I think I'd disagree with sloosh (sorry!) as I think the Cairngorm National Park area is a great place to get out and about and do some walking while practicing navigation.
There are a huge number of waymarked trails in the Loch Morlich area (map available from the shop/hire by Loch Morlich which will get you started and out and about - combined with a map and compass, this will aid navigation as well.
There is an excellent leaflet on all the long distance trails in the National Park area, available at the Forestry visitor centre (and other places I'm sure), which will provide longer distance on good tracks, with (very at times) basic waymarking.
I also think that Cairngorm is about as friendly a first Munro as you can get (if not hugely visually pleasant going up Coire Cas) and if longer distance walking is enjoyed - there are lots of ways off the hill in just about every direction!
Myth

Postby sloosh » Mon May 25, 2009 2:45 pm

Cairngorms are fine navigation-wise if you're staying at low level but I was more thinking of trying to navigate something like Ben McDui in hill fog, hence the suggestion. :)
sloosh

Munros:62   Corbetts:1

Postby Paul Webster » Mon May 25, 2009 3:15 pm

Meall a'Bhuachaille can be a good hill for those still gaining experience of hillwalking. The paths are good, especially if you descend after the first bealach rather than continuing over Meall Gorm.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby tcam78 » Wed May 27, 2009 8:03 pm

Thanks for all the excellent suggestions, is there anywhere in particular that would be a good central base for exploring the area?
tcam78

Postby Myth » Sun May 31, 2009 10:03 am

CAmp at the Loch Morlich site?
Youth Hostel right opposite?
Otherwise I suspect you're really looking at more expensive stuff either near Aviemore, or perhaps the chalets at Loch Insch, although there are some lovely cottages to rent on the North side of CNP.
Myth

Postby tcam78 » Sun May 31, 2009 8:57 pm

I am now all sorted - a nice B&B in Newtonmore and a car to take me where I want to go... now all I need to do is try and decide which walks I want to do. This is the hard part!Will probably stick to some mid-level walks and the occasional munro - if the weather looks ok.
tcam78

Postby Julie » Sun May 31, 2009 9:43 pm

Hi,
Hope you have a great time in Newtonmore, It's handy for the caingorms but creag Meaghaidh is only 30 mins down the A86 and fort william and the Ben are only an hour away and then there are all the drummocter hills, meall cuaich is a lovely , straightforward hill with great views on a clear day, then of course there is creag Dubh... see my post on this from a few days ago, and the follow up posts about the wildcat trail which is a lovely 6 mile walk around Newtonmore.
I can recommend the Glen hotel for good, well kept real ales and big bar suppers and if you want somewhere a bit more special then try Blasta opposite the hall for great food and friendly service and no i don't work there but go to try their every changing and excellent menu.
Any more Questions about newtonmore either ask here or send me a PM and i'll do my best to help.
Hope you get weather like the last 2 days.
Julie

Munros:227   Corbetts:63
Fionas:44   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:203   

Postby Myth » Sun May 31, 2009 9:58 pm

From Newtonmore, the Drumochter Munros are nice and close too. I can recommend them all - the Eastern solo and twin are good and easier than the Western round - although the western hills can be split into pairs easily.
Myth

Postby tcam78 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:46 pm

I have returned from my (bronze) navigation course flushed with triumph and a shiny new certificate... I can now officially read a map and I only fell over twice (bloody concealed holes on the moors!). I'm now ready to start planning my walks in the Cairngorms.. woo hoo!
tcam78

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...