walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

meall na teanga, sron a choire ghairbh

meall na teanga, sron a choire ghairbh

Postby mgmt! » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:17 pm

Route description: Loch Lochy Munros from Kilfinnan

Munros included on this walk: Meall na Teanga, Sròn a' Choire Ghairbh

Date walked: 13/11/2010

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 21 km

Ascent: 1290m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

set of just after 8 30 in light drizzle along the forrest track, after forking right came to the post and rock marking the way to cam bhealach. sitting on the rock a single boot ! not any old boot but one identicle to the one my ex missus dissposed of last year ! spooky ! headed on and reached the cam bhealach in no time. there was a good covering of fresh snow from just below the bhealach. i started meall na teanga first, climbing to another bealach between meall na teanga and meall dubh. couldnt see any path so choose a point on meall na teanga,s north ridge and set off in deepening snow. once near the ridge the snow was thigh deep and i had to clamber over a little cornice to gain firmer ground on the ridge itself, good fun. once on the firmer ground i reached the summit. vissability was about 60 metres so after the usual summit pic i headed of back down to the cam bhealach, meeting 4 kinloss mountain rescue guys all dressed identical, worst thing was it was red jackets, black trousers same as me.just before the bhealach 3 other guys from the ochils had started there assent of meall na teanga.
when i reached the bhealach the weather lifted a little and i thought the better waeather forcast from the north was here. i took to the zig zag path that climbs sron a choire ghairbh, and after about 20 minutes could see the ridge i was headed for. there was more zig zags but i oppted to head straight up towards the ridge. the mist was thickening as i gained the ridge climbing to the summit cairn. it was my intention to have a break at the summit, but i opted to retreat down as the weather was getting worst with the snow starting to get heavier. i followed my tracks back down meeting another man and woman struggling upwards in the thickening snow. met the kinloss boys at the cam bhealach again and i decided to head straight back as the snow was heavy. once below the snowline the heavy snow was now heavy rain. met up with 5 guys just before the tree line, sorry looking bunch didnt muster a smile between the 5 of them :? , it was wet though.
got back to the car in 5 hours drookit, removed the wet gear and enjoyed some soup n sandwiches before hesding of back to glasgow heaters on full belt.
mgmt!
Mountaineer

Re: meall na teanga, sron a choire ghairbh

Postby LeithySuburbs » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:28 pm

Don't suppose the Kinloss MR team shed any light on what is to become of them in the coming period ?
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby mgmt! » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:49 pm

didnt discuss that , but here,s hoping none of the bases shut down not least for the mountain rescue teams, they were going to decend the ridge to the kilfinnan falls but like me decided against it, it really was a crap day weather wise.
mgmt!
Mountaineer

Postby kinley » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:05 pm

Sounds a bit of a challenging day on the hill :D
kinley

Postby mgmt! » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:10 pm

ive had worst days kinley, what else would we do with our time ?
mgmt!
Mountaineer

Postby kinley » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:22 pm

mgmt! wrote:what else would we do with our time ?

Shhhhhhhhh!

:shock: :shock: :shock:

The question that must not be asked! :shock:

Ask that question and people will queue up to answer it for you :lol:
kinley

Postby mgmt! » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:34 pm

i gave up a days fishing on the tweed saturday, but even with the bad weather i enjoyed my day. above the snowline was fine, i was cold but dry, once below it the rain was relentless. as for my mates they were fishless and wetter than me, so i didnt miss much
mgmt!
Mountaineer

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland