walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Circuit of Coire nan Cat

Circuit of Coire nan Cat

Postby Alan S » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:02 pm

Route description: Meall Greigh, Meall Garbh and An Stùc

Munros included on this walk: An Stùc, Meall Garbh (Ben Lawers), Meall Greigh

Date walked: 30/05/2009

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 1230m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

DATE:31/05/09

ASCENT:1230m

TIME TAKEN:bang on 7hrs + 1hr of stops

WEATHER:scorching hot,blue skies no breeze,brilliant

set off from the lawers hotel car park at 8:15 and headed east along the main road for a few hundred yards turning left at the horn carvers cottage and heading up the farm track then through the woods.not much chance of losing your way here as the farmer has plenty of signs so you dont wander.a good walk in here but with no breeze it was like an oven in the trees.after cosssing a large stile this brings you out to in the open with fine views up to meall greigh.
meall greigh.JPG
an stuc and meall garbh.JPG
an stuc.JPG
ben lawers and an stuc.JPG

on reading the directions from this site it says to follow a stream which is further along the path we decided to climb straight up the slopes of sron mhor,bad idea in the heat.this was the hardest part of the walk the climb is relentless and very testing on the calf muscles,plenty of stops required here and if one of the other 2 had said to turn around i might not have argued.
after a long 2 and a half hours we finally reached the summit of meall greigh and the moans and regrets were soon forgotten with the cracking views to loch tay and ben lawers
carn mairg group.JPG
ben lawers.JPG
ben lawers from meall greigh.JPG

after a good rest here it was on to meall garbh with us all agreeing that the next 2 hours where probably one of the most enjoyable walks yet from the top of meall greigh right over to an stuc.the climb up to meall garbh looks really steep but its not as bad as it looks and was a great climb to the top
meall greigh from meall garbh.JPG
nearing the summit of meall garbh.JPG
summit of meall garbh.JPG
summit of meall garbh.2.JPG
an stuc from meall garbh.JPG

another break here and couldnt help but worry about an stuc.the view from meall garbh looks very daunting with what looks like an impossible climb but couldnt wait all the same.
an stuc from beallach.JPG

the next 20mins or so was very exciting having never climbed anything like this before but we stuck close together and where up in no time.not as bad as it looked but still a few squeaky bum moments :D
on reaching the top we all had a right feel of acheivement,no bad for a couple of amateurs.
lochan nan cat from an stuc.JPG
looking toward ben more.JPG
ben lawers and beinn ghlas.JPG

with another long break it was down the wset slopes of an stuc to the beallach and then dropping south following a small stream toward lochan nan cat
lochan nan cat.JPG

really tricky here as the slopes are very steep
burn from an stuc.JPG

on finally reaching lochan nan cat we went round the left side of the loch which was very boggy and with no breeze at all the heat at times was unbearable and was so tempted to strip and jump in
lochan nan cat and an stuc.JPG
lochan nan cat to ben lawers.JPG
lochan nan cat.2.JPG

the next hour or so was a real slog through the bogs and now couldnt wait to get back to the car.
once the small dam is reached the path back wasnt to bad but was just compleatly knackered all the way back to the hotel with the promise of a pint really getting that close i could taste it.
on reading you have to pay to use the car park which seems fair enough i dont think it would have mattered as it was the best 2 pints of lager ive ever had (not driving :D )

all in a great walk again with an stuc one of my favourites and a very enjoyable day
well reccomended in good weather 8)
Last edited by Alan S on Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Re: Circuit of Coire nan Cat

Postby cjwaugh » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:04 pm

Nice report Alan loking to do these soon :)
cjwaugh

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:9   Donalds:27+0

Postby Alan S » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:47 pm

cjwaugh wrote:Nice report Alan loking to do these soon :)

hope you enjoy cj and have good weather like me.
my best walk yet in the lawers range but the clear skies obviously helped.
wouldnt fancy doing it in poor conditions as an stuc could be tricky

cheers alan :)
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby Paul Webster » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:46 pm

Cracking report and photos Alan, what is that weather like at the moment 8)

An Stac certainly got my heart racing too :shock:
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby mountain coward » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:02 am

Great photos - thanks for the one of 'An Stuc from the Bealach' - I was wondering what that looked like. If you (or should I say I) don't like the steep ascent/descent, what are the chances of going up and down the easy (Ben Lawers) side and then traversing round the back under it? Anyone know?
mountain coward

Postby Alan S » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:39 am

thanks paul

i hope everyone enjoyed the recent weather coz that was our summer :D
couldn't believe my luck on my last 2 trips,really enjoyed the sunshine.it was good to see where i was going for a change
enjoyed an stuc also the walk over meall garbh 8)

hi mountain coward
could be a good option if you are up for that after an stuc
im not really sure as when i done ben lawers i couldnt see a thing
the track round the south side of lawers looks good tho 8)
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby GSPAT » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:35 pm

Alan

We did the same circuit on 31/05/09 and both the walk and weather were fantastic . Unfortunately I did not notice until we were on the An Stuc top that my camera had slipped off my rucksack when we had stopped for lunch at the top of Meall Garb. I asked people who were behind me if they had picked up my camera but no luck. I am leading a group up Meall Garb on 16/08/09 so I will see if my camera is still there then!! So it was great viewing your photos.

Cheers

Gregor
GSPAT

Munros:107   Corbetts:33
Fionas:7   Donalds:4
Hewitts:65
Wainwrights:93   

Postby Alan S » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:14 pm

sorry to hear about your camera gregor
unfotunatley we were first on the hill on sunday so you must have been behind me.
i saw a group on top of meall garbh from an stuc it might have been you :)
i nearly had the same problem when i realised i had my spare memory card in the case.its got 500 pics on it mostly of the weans.i was guarding it with my life in fear of a doin off the wife :D
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby SCOTRAIL DRIVER » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:16 pm

hi allan
i walked from the v/c at lawers up to lawers nice to see the rest of the route on to an stuc etc
check out my report... :D :D :D
SCOTRAIL DRIVER
Munro compleatist

Munros:102   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland