walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Lochnagar: My Second Munro

Lochnagar: My Second Munro

Postby Alastair S » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:18 am

Route description: Lochnagar circuit, Glen Muick

Munros included on this walk: Lochnagar

Date walked: 15/03/2009

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 19 km

Ascent: 930m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Playing catch-up again – so its back to 2009.

I’d done my first Munro (Carn an Tuirc) in full winter conditions in Feb and had been on a winter skills course at Glenmore Lodge the previous weekend so was keen to put into practise my new skills. As it turned out there was a lot less snow about here than on Cairn Gorm. Lots of patchy snow but not much ice so no need for crampons or ice axe – well not on the std route I took. Which was exactly the route suggested by this site. I had intended to include Meikle Pap but by the time I got up to the bealach the weather was closing in so I decided to crack on.

Lochnagar Corrie. Full size one over here

The cloud closed in while I climbed up the Ladder so it was out with the compass when I topped out on the plateau. From below I had see the drooping cornices so wanted to steer well clear of the cliff edge. Was very pleased when Car Carn Mor emerged from the clag and I was in luck when the cloud lifted 10 minutes later and I claimed my second Munro by 10:30am (having started off around 8:00am). The only other person I’d seen was a mountain biker near Meikle Pap – I was frankly amazed he’d made it up there, but he didn’t come over for a chat so I’m not sure if he’d managed to ride all the way. So had the summit to myself and spent a long time taking lots of not very good photos. Here are a few that aren't too bad:

Lochnagar trig with The Stuic behind

Lochnagar summit

Mind the gap

As the cliff was now cloud free I went back to get a good look at the cornices I was careful to avoid on the way up. After a few more photos it was off to Glas-allt Shiel. But instead of retracing my route to Car Carn Mor I took a path that I thought would take me there but that was probably headed to Loch Callater and that soon disappeared under a fairly extensive snow field. Out with the compass again, got myself pointing in the right direction and once below the snow line soon picked up the obvious path down to the Queen’s bothy.

Come spring I'll be doing this...

My feet were killing me by the time I’d got down to the Loch – or more precisely my right foot. Have very recently had this diagnosed as been due to a neuroma. In fact Morton's neuroma. As this only effects me when I’m walking I’m going down the route of getting custom made orthotic insoles made. Not cheap but better than putting up with the suffering with no prospect of it betting better my itself. In fact I was at my podiatrist’s this evening getting the moulds made.

The sore foot made the loch side walk back a bit of a trudge but all in all it was a pretty good day. The Lochnagar corrie is still the most impressive I’ve seen and the views from the peak are great. Was back there this April (from Loch Callater) and I dare say I’ll be back at least once a year for as long as I can.
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Re: Lochnagar: My Second Munro

Postby mountain coward » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:00 am

Unfortunately, being at work, I can only see your last photo - but it's a beaut anyway :D

You did very well there with the navigation and suchlike - you sound to have made a good job putting into practice course knowledge.

I think I had Morton's Neuroma once - comes and goes - haven't had any trouble for quite a while though. I think mine came from wearing heels - puts too much pressure on the toe area of your feet (I imagine you don't have that problem) :lol:
mountain coward

Postby Merry-walker » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:54 am

Lovely pictures especially your first trig and 'mind the gap'. Cheers.

Lochnagar is one mountain I especially want to do.

Did the soles work for you?
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby Alastair S » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:07 am

Merry-walker wrote:Did the soles work for you?

It'll be a couple of weeks before I get them fitted. Also got new winter boots so its going to be an expensive month :(
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby Onefootinthe » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:44 pm

Hope your orthotics work better with your boots than mine do.I had a calcaneal osteotomy and other work done in April, came out of plaster in July and since then have had just about every type of insole that the podiatrist could think of.I know it's not the answer to everybody, but I find that I can't wear the cast insoles for too long, (after walking for a few hours your foot actually changes shape and also slightly length) so I often change over before coming downhill to a pair of sorbothane type to help negate the pain.
Onefootinthe
Mountaineer

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland