walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

MEALL A'BHUACHAILLE & MATES

MEALL A'BHUACHAILLE & MATES

Postby blueyed » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:58 pm

Route description: Meall a' Bhuachaille circuit, Glenmore

Corbetts included on this walk: Meall a' Bhuachaille

Date walked: 04/04/2010

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 16 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

day 3 of a long weekend in aviemore.
on previous day we walked sgor gaoith and i got few blisters (in my too small and totally wet boots) so for sunday we decided to do 'something less serious' where i could walk in my approach merrell shoes. forecast was ok so we decided to meall a'bhuachaille.
we left the car at glenmore visitor centre, had a look in the shop and caffee (and had some waffers... absolutely fantastic, with cream and jam). finally, nicely fed we started the walk.
we took the 'upper' path thru glenmore as we like to complicate our lives and definitely do not like walking along 'road tracks'. first stop we had at lochan uaine and then continued towards ryvoan bothy.
that was the first bothy i had a chance to explore - well, on a rainy night it definitely is better to sleep in bothy than a tent but on a nice night i would choose my tent :)
anyway, path leading to summit of meall a'bhuachaille starts just at the bothy. we reached the summit sooner than i expected, enjoying the views in the meantime - especially to bynack more. views towards braeriach were a bit disrupted by heavy rain (gosh it was far enough, but too close at the same time).
summit of meall a'bhuachaille is marked by a cairn where we enjoyed some water and a sandwich while looking towards loch morlich and good views to sgor gaoith where we were just yesterday.
soon we continued to creagan gorm. the ridge was very boggy. very quickly we reached creag a'chaillich and then craiggowrie where the weather changed and 'blessed' us with cold wind.
descent from craiggowrie was very boggy again, but as soon as we reached the forest the path was nice and dry. we came back thru bagaduish to glenmore.
on our way back to kingussie (we slept at tipsy laird bothy) we stopped at loch morlich for few pictures of braeriach in nice sunset light and few minutes contemplation on a quiet beach.

more pictures here: http://around-scotland.blogspot.com/search/label/meall%20a%27bhuachaille
Attachments
DSC_5669.jpg
glenmore
DSC_5677.jpg
DSC_5680.jpg
ryvoan bothy
DSC_5684_1.jpg
DSC_5695.jpg
DSC_5702.jpg
the rain...
DSC_5713.jpg
bynack more???
DSC_5736.jpg
meall a'bhuachaille, summit
DSC_5739_1.jpg
loch morlich
DSC_5753.jpg
meall a'bhuachaille from creagan gorm
DSC_5758.jpg
DSC_5761.jpg
creagan gorm, the summit
DSC_5769.jpg
DSC_5777.jpg
nice panorama ;)
DSC_5784.jpg
freakin' cold!!!
DSC_5794.jpg
sgor gaoith & sgoran dobh mor
DSC_5798.jpg
braeriach
Last edited by blueyed on Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blueyed
Hill Bagger

Munros:50   Corbetts:13
Fionas:5   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:5   

Re: MEALL A'BHUACHAILLE & MATES

Postby baggervance » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:47 pm

Hey someone has painted the inside of the Ryvoan white. Blue eyed never and I mean never go near Bynack More in gale force winds :shock: Me and Marley had one hell of an experience whilst conquering this alleged easy summit (see Marley's first munro report)

cracking pics. amazed there was so little snow as it had started when we headed south on the 6th

cheers for now
baggervance
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:59
Fionas:5   Donalds:7

Postby mountain coward » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:00 am

That looks a really nice walk - I've been wanting to do it for ages...

Your pic 'Bynack More?' - the foreground hill isn't that's for sure, as it's behind the end of the ridge coming down from Cairngorm and quite a way away. I suspect your pic is the end of the ridge coming down from Cairngorm...

Baggervance: Bynack More is an easy hill but no Munros are easy in gale force winds - nor particularly safe. When it's that windy I stay off the hills altogether...
mountain coward

Postby blueyed » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:47 am

@ mc - actually i thought aboout this peak in the very very deep end (a bit on a left hand side) with a bit of snow. i was guessing it was one of the bynack bros... ?
blueyed
Hill Bagger

Munros:50   Corbetts:13
Fionas:5   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:5   

Postby Raven » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:55 pm

Looking to do this with my dogs next time Im home at the end of the month
Raven
Munro compleatist

Munros:8   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:3   
Location: Inverness & Libya North Africa only when things settle down again

Postby HighlandSC » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:45 pm

blueyed wrote:@ mc - actually i thought aboout this peak in the very very deep end (a bit on a left hand side) with a bit of snow. i was guessing it was one of the bynack bros... ?

the one with snow in the distance is Bynack Mor
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby rockhopper » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:52 pm

one of my favourite mountain biking routes up past Ryvoan - nice to see the pictures in early winter as I'm usually there in summer 8)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby mountain coward » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:31 am

blueyed wrote:@ mc - actually i thought aboout this peak in the very very deep end (a bit on a left hand side) with a bit of snow. i was guessing it was one of the bynack bros... ?

Yeah, the pointy one at the back is Bynack More - but then HighlandSC replied before me :D
mountain coward

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland