walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

High Raise, lakes

High Raise, lakes

Postby tango » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:40 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Branstree, High Raise (Far Eastern Fells), Loadpot Hill, Rampsgill Head, Selside Pike

Hewitts included on this walk: Branstree, High Raise (Far Eastern Fells), Loadpot Hill, Rampsgill Head, Selside Pike

Date walked: 19/11/2010

Time taken: 8.5

Distance: 31.8 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Started at 0800hrs in the Haweswater carpark,left the camper van & straight through the river (nice),onto Bowderthwaite bridge up Kidsty pike around to Rampsgill head then straight onto High Raise, north to Wether hill & Loadpot hills trig point. quick lunch break there then back to Wether hill cross country onto Bampton common down to the reservoir via The Forces waterfalls,south west along the reservoir to Dudderwick & across the foot bridge i should have used earlier!!! up Gatesgarth pass north east & followed the fence line onto Branstree & Selside.Followed path down to the Old copses road south west to the road & road back to the carpark, finished at 1630hours, Going was good paths most of the day, good views, walking buds Riff Raff,Ludo & Tic Tac dogs.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

tango

Re: High Raise, lakes

Postby pollyh33 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:53 pm

Hi Tango,

Sounds like a good walk. Are the lakes still busy at this time of year? Any snow on the peaks?

Pollyh33
pollyh33

Postby tango » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:06 pm

hello pollyh33 friday the hills were okay, come the weekend you get more punters out & about!!, there is alittle snow on the bigger hills,sc
tango

Postby colgregg » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:16 pm

That's quite a trek. I've often thought of walking the ridge to Loadpot hill but usually end up doing the traditional high street - Nan Bield round. Must take a bit of will power to add on the Gatescarth section after returning to Mardale Head.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181
Wainwrights:214   

Postby fedupofuserids » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:09 pm

Looks like a nice full day! Who does the most miles your campervan or you ?
fedupofuserids

Postby mountain coward » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:34 am

I don't think I'd have wanted to add Branstree onto the first bit myself... Presumably you came back down to the lake down Measand Beck? Me and Richard did something very similar to the first half of your walk when we were staying at the Haweswater Hotel a couple of years ago (but went up Rough Crags and Long Stile onto High Street first - we really enjoyed the walk back along the lakeshore.
mountain coward

Postby tango » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:48 am

It was a bit of a trek, but the dogs & I were enjoying that much i didn't start to black spots much before Selside!!!. no really if you have enough food for energy you ll be surprised how far you can walk!!, As for the camper van question Si !! it does more miles just though :D So if anyone fancies a short walk around the HEWITTS I'm your man!! :wtf:
tango

Postby mountain coward » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:08 am

I've walked very long distances before but tend not to make a habit of it. The furthest so far is 40 miles on the Lyke Wake Walk but I found it pretty boring. I tend to make my walks a bit shorter nowadays and just one round without any extras added on...
mountain coward

Postby tango » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:30 am

Yeah i agree with you there it can turn into an Endurance march sometimes, but being exArmy im used to that & i like to get my monies worth out the fuel you put in your tank!!!, :D
tango

Postby mountain coward » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:36 am

I'm ex-Army too... but the women didn't do endurance marches back in my day! :lol:
mountain coward

Postby tango » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:38 am

Cool an exsquaddie!! :D , good for you.
tango

Postby 37lumleyst » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:54 pm

mountain coward wrote:The furthest so far is 40 miles on the Lyke Wake Walk but I found it pretty boring

I've done quite a few long distance walks too, and like you I found the Lyke Wake a boarding slog. Dont get me wrong I love the N. Y. moors (I live on the boarder of them so should love em) but despite my love of them I dont see much fun in slogging across them in 24hrs apart from the fact you can say "Ive done that"
37lumleyst

Munros:6   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:49
Wainwrights:56   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland