walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Oss and Beinn Dubhchraig

Ben Oss and Beinn Dubhchraig

Postby bootsandpaddles » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:28 am

Route description: Ben Oss and Beinn Dubhchraig, near Tyndrum

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Dubhchraig, Ben Oss

Date walked: 21/11/2010

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 1307m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Katie and I had done this walk in the summer a few years ago but we felt like getting out into some snow so thought it was worth another go. We followed the usual route as far as the railway line but then carried on up Gleann Auchreoch on a broad track. This climbs gradually and enters a forest after about 1.5km. In fact you have to climb over a huge padlocked gate on which a sign declares that shooting takes place between April and February (i.e most of the year!). We could not hear any guns so decided to carry on. After about another km a track goes off to the right to cross a bridge over the burn. Then it was a case of picking our way up through the trees using firebreaks to emerge on the north -east ridge of Beinn Dubhchraig. Lots of deer around here. Then straight up the ridge to the summit. Had to put on crampons for a steep icy stretch. After a cup of tea and a piece of cake we joined the normal route, descending north-west to a bealach. We had taken our crampons off but had to put them back on again for the descent. Then up a nice long snow slope before descending a little way and then tackling the long plod up to the summit of Ben Oss. Good views across to Ben Lui. Then we retraced our steps to the bealach with the two small lochans at the foot of the north-west ridge of Beinn Dubhchreag. The path down through the corrie was extremely muddy but at least we hadn't had to do it twice!
This was a great walk in the snow.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:103
Donalds:7

Re: Ben Oss and Beinn Dubhchraig

Postby monty » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:36 am

Hi Bootsandpaddles.
Nice little read that. I must admit I would rather walk around a forest than through it. Forest paths tend to meander and can be disorientating :D Well done on getting out in the conditions. General signs like that help nobody :shock:
monty

Postby mountain coward » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:38 am

I looked at that ridge for the ascent last time and it looked great - I was sorely tempted but Richard was with me and having a bad day so we just went up and back on the normal route :( I'd have used the normal route to get to it though and gone round above the forest to get to it I think. Presumably it was okay and no scrambling? It looked okay
mountain coward

Postby bootsandpaddles » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:18 am

No scrambling on the ridge.
bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:103
Donalds:7

Postby mountain coward » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:37 am

Great thanks. Well I'd like to do it again sometime (especially in winter) so I'll do that route next time :D
mountain coward

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland