walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

Hello

Hello

Postby John Burgess » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:28 pm

Having been registered for a month I thought it time to say hi and introduce myself.

I originated (in the middle of the last century it must be admitted) in Kendal so much of my early walking was done around the Lakes. I started coming to the Highlands more than 30 years ago and loved it so much that I moved up to Scotland at the first opportunity and have been living near Perth for 25 years now.
I tend to walk alone or with small groups of family or friends and am probably getting a bit old fashioned now (someday I might play with a GPS but I still use my trusty old maps and compass).
I once walked from Ben Lomond to Ben Hope (it took me 3 weeks) and, now that my family have grown up, I'm intending getting back into doing some more extended trips into the hills. I was on the Five Sisters last Saturday and started daydreaming about all those wonderful, lonely places that I was looking out over :D
Anyway, that's a bit about me. This is my first excursion into the internet community of hillgoers and I hope that I can make some useful contribution to this friendly, informative site.

All the best,

John
John Burgess

Munros:282   Corbetts:144
Fionas:78   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:110
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Hello

Postby cjwaugh » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:32 pm

Look forward to your imput John most welcome :)
cjwaugh

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:9   Donalds:27+0

Postby 37lumleyst » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:55 pm

I'd like read your reports as it sounds like you have a wealth of experience - welcome to the site
37lumleyst

Munros:6   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:49
Wainwrights:56   

Postby Paul Webster » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:59 pm

Hi John and welcome to Walkhighlands. Very flattered to be your first foray into Outdoors websites... And good to find another escapee from England :D
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby John Burgess » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:56 am

Thank you all for your welcome and thank you especially Paul for the obvious hard work that you have put in to make the site what it is.

All the best,

John
John Burgess

Postby Myth » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:19 am

Welcome!

I couldn't agree more about the insiping views from the North and South Sheil ridges - and indeed from the less complete ridge to the South approaching Knoydart. On a clear day there is little to compare... and realise that you can see so many of the Munros from these ridges!

Looking forward to reading some reports!
Myth

Postby John Burgess » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:05 am

Hi Myth,

Thanks for the welcome. I was intending trying my hand at a walk report for a day I had out on Sunday round Ben Chaorach, Cam Chreag and Ben Challum from Auchtertyre just South of Tyndrum but I left my camera sitting on my study floor :(
The views were again stunning. From the Lomonds in Fife to Jura to the Loch Trieg hills etc. Ben Lui looks particularly fine from up there.

All the best,

John
John Burgess

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...