walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

The best way to get to Essan bothy?

Re: The best way to get to Essan bothy?

Postby Essan » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:50 pm

Simply put, it is illegal to walk along the railway line, or to cross it anywhere other than at designated points - and although there is traditional access to the hill by crossing the line near the bridge at the west end of Loch Eilt and just before the tunnels above the Muidhe (both points have access gates) I don't think even these are formally recognised as designated crossing points.

Therefore, the only proper ways to get to Essan is by helicopter (!), by boat - but only if you go under the railway bridge and moor up at the mouth of the Easain burn (not always possible when water levels are low) - or by walking in from Inverailort, over the hill.

The original track to Essan ran alongside the loch and was covered over when the railway line was built. The nearest to an 'official' legal route in today is from Glenshian Lodge and up along an argocat track which roughly follows the Allt an-t Sagairt up towards the NE ridge of Beinn Coire na Gall. From there, just drop straight down towards the bothy. It's not too bad a route in good weather. Or you can climb straight up onto Creagan an-t Sagairt and follow the ridge above Loch Eilt to Creag Dearg and then down. This does offer some good views. There is no path of any shape or form down to Essan from any direction.

When the water level is low it would be possible to walk most of the way in along the shore - can be a bit muddy in places though.

Other than that, all I'll say is that I reckon I know every sleeper along that track better than the pavement outside my front door ;)
Essan

Munros:98   Corbetts:52
Fionas:7   Donalds:2+0
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:88
Wainwrights:24   Islands:5

Postby bothybum » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:02 pm

Many Thanks Essan and all
I took all on board,I will post bothy report in a few weeks
Phil
bothybum
Hill Bagger

Munros:3   

Postby mountain coward » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:04 pm

Or visiting details for what jail you're in after you're arrested for trespassing on the railway? :lol:
mountain coward

Postby bothybum » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:14 pm

:lol: Erm,I'v heard about those dark,damp lonely prisons,does funny things to ones masculinity :lol:
bothybum
Hill Bagger

Postby Caberfeidh » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:50 pm

The boat option is not so far fetched; a small inflatable dingy would be helpful. As for rough-going on the hillsides, isn't that what we do? Isn't that us? One time when I stayed at Peanmanich it was crawling with rats. If you dump your stuff in the bothy then carry your empty rucksack back up the path you can gather firewood in the oak woods.
Oooo and bear in mind that bloke who got both legs chopped off by a train. Gimme the rough hillside any day. :shock:
Last edited by Caberfeidh on Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby mountain tortoise » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:55 pm

I'm surprised you did not cook those rats up for a nice supper on the fire. :lol:
mountain tortoise
Scrambler

Munros:10   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:56

Postby Caberfeidh » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:59 pm

mountain tortoise wrote:I'm surprised you did not cook those rats up for a nice supper on the fire. :lol:

Who said I didn't?! :D
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby mountain coward » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:28 pm

But if you dump all your stuff in the bothy while you take your pack on a firewood hunt, won't the rats clear you out of all your grub? :D
mountain coward

Postby Caberfeidh » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:59 pm

mountain coward wrote:But if you dump all your stuff in the bothy while you take your pack on a firewood hunt, won't the rats clear you out of all your grub? :D

You hang it up in a bag. Are ye glaikit, wumin?
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby mountain coward » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:11 pm

Ah - another wonderful obscure Scots word! Won't ask what it means, could be insulting! :lol:

What if there isn't anything to hang it on?

What if rats can run up walls?

What if I'm driving you up the wall? :D
mountain coward

Postby bothybum » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:24 pm

also have you not heard of the mystical diamagnetic levitating rats of the highlands ? :shock: :shock: :shock:
bothybum
Hill Bagger

Postby Essan » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:53 pm

Way this winter is shaping up the rats will all be frozen solid anyway! :D
Essan

Munros:98   Corbetts:52
Fionas:7   Donalds:2+0
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:88
Wainwrights:24   Islands:5

Postby mountainstar » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:17 pm

mountain coward wrote:Ah - another wonderful obscure Scots word! Won't ask what it means, could be insulting! :lol:

Translation:- Scottish word meaning: stupid, foolish, not very bright, thoughtless, vacant :shock:

FIGHT!!!!
mountainstar
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:221
Fionas:24   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:217
Wainwrights:214   Islands:24

Postby mountain coward » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:43 pm

I looked it up thanks :(
mountain coward

Postby Caberfeidh » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:46 pm

mountainstar wrote:
mountain coward wrote:Ah - another wonderful obscure Scots word! Won't ask what it means, could be insulting! :lol:

Translation:- Scottish word meaning: stupid, foolish, not very bright, thoughtless, vacant :shock:

FIGHT!!!!

I don't think that translation really sums up the bone-deep ignorant slack-jawed mouth-breathing knuckle-trailing gormlessness indicated by the good Scot's original. :lol:
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion