walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Loch Lochy Pair

Loch Lochy Pair

Postby icemandan » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:46 pm

Route description: Loch Lochy Munros from Kilfinnan

Munros included on this walk: Meall na Teanga, Sròn a' Choire Ghairbh

Date walked: 20/11/2010

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 20.2 km

Ascent: 1648m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Drove up to Roy Bridge late on Friday. Stunning clear night with full moon, great white ghostly peaks rising up all around. Buchaille Etive Mor sported a curious curved toupee of grey cloud. Unfortunately by Saturday morning the skies were grey and as we headed out of Spean Bridge, our objectives for the day gradually vanished from view.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Parked up at Kilfillan and made very quick progress along the forest road with nothing much to see apart from trees and occasional steel flashes of loch (incidentally, I can't help thinking that they must have been running out of adjectives when they named Loch Lochy). Left the forest road at the Allt Glas Dhoire and headed sharply uphill on a good forest track which unusually was completely free of mud/bog. Carried on up to the Cam Bhealach and as we arrived, what was left of the view disappeared.
Cam Bhealach.jpg
Continued up a superb zig zagging stalkers path which made short work of a tedious grass slope. This left us at the snowline and we carried on up to the col where it got really cold. Satmap helped us follow the curving course to the cairn.
Summit picture (2).jpg

Retraced our steps back to the Cam Bhealach where two of the party retreated. Carried on up Meall na Teanga. Less tidily than the stalkers path opposite, a boggy confused rut of a path led around the slopes of Meall Dubh before finding focus as a good path up Meall na Teanga's north ridge to the summit. Retreated in the gathering twilight back down to the forest and back to the car for a couple of pints by the fire in the Sronlossit.

A good straightforward route which makes easy work of these two munroes. Enjoyable despite the grey weather and at least it didn't rain.
icemandan
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:26
Fionas:13   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:199
Wainwrights:214   Islands:33

Re: Loch Lochy Pair

Postby mountain coward » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:59 pm

Didn't you go to that pub barge? That's great :D

I have to admit that sron a' Choire Gairbh's zig-zag path scared me a bit coming back down :lol: I liked the look of the NE ridge from it though... I liked Meall na Teanga though - but we actually had a nice, clear day for a change when we did them. I really liked the route up to the col though (excepting the forest of course, which I'm sure everyone finds boring).
mountain coward

Postby Caberfeidh » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:35 pm

Love that blue all-in-one mountaineering suit with exciting utility belt strapping and matching hat !
When Bill Bailey did his tour of the highlands and islands recently he mentioned Loch Lochy, and suggested the River Rivery and the Hilly Hills are nearby.I guess we're lacking a bit in imagination when it comes to place names... :lol:
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Alastair S » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:58 pm

icemandan wrote:I can't help thinking that they must have been running out of adjectives when they named Loch Lochy

This must have been the one before Loch Loch :lol:
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby icemandan » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:18 pm

Just to make it clear, the guy dressed as a kwik fit fitter isn't me!
icemandan
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:26
Fionas:13   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:199
Wainwrights:214   Islands:33

Postby BothyManBone » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:02 pm

It isn't me either!

How do you think I feel, I spend a fortune on RAB gear then the man from MEC (AKA Kwik Fit Man) shows up. As for 'exciting utility belt' that's just to hold every thing in.
BothyManBone
Munro compleatist

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland