walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Gulabin

Ben Gulabin

Postby Tam Collie » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:27 pm

Route description: Ben Gulabin, Glen Shee

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Gulabin

Date walked: 25/11/2010

Time taken: 2.5 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I sloped off for an afternoon walk today. Parking at the closed snow gates at the Spittal of Glenshee saw us walking up the side of the main road to the start of the Gulabin track.
Gulabin track(2).jpg
Start of the Gulabin track

Soft deep snow was great fun but where it had drifted it was really deep and made for difficult progress but we stuck to the side of the track and made it to the point where the path branches off to the summit easily enough. You can see the old ski tow pylons on both sides of the coll here but it was too cold to go for a closer look.
Ben Gulabin(2).jpg
The top

Above the coll the going got a bit easier and we were soon at the top where we had great views across neighbouring hills.
Shelter with Glas Tulachain behind.JPG
Glas Tulachain

We descended, staying close together, South East towards the Spittal.

We aventually came down through the crags above the snow gates disturbing deer as we did so. The snow was soft and really quite deep here and I was jumping to make progress. If the snow had been a bit deeper and the deer had not been there first I think this slope might have been a bit suspect! Another fantastic day out. I ended up covered in snow balls !
Glenshee road on descent.JPG
Glenshee road from the SE ridge on descent
Last edited by Tam Collie on Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tam Collie
Hill Bagger

Munros:3   Corbetts:127
Fionas:6   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:48
Wainwrights:73   

Re: Ben Gulabin

Postby Merry-walker » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:31 pm

Excellent!! :D :thumbup:
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby rockhopper » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:00 pm

nice stuff :D wish I could slope off instead of spending the day Christmas shopping with she who must be obeyed :lol:
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Merry-walker » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:54 pm

:shock: :lol:
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby LeithySuburbs » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:21 pm

This was my first crampons and ice axe walk so happy memories :) . It's a good viewpoint :) .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby mountain coward » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:55 pm

Truly amazing that snow gates on roads are closed already in November! Not sure what your path was like but I think I'd find it a bit steep for snow conditions - but I've only really seen it from Glen Taitneach...
mountain coward

Postby Tam Collie » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:27 pm

It's a landrover track all the way to the top if you use the "Gulabin track", ie the one that starts from the main road just past the snow gates. Unless it was icy you couldn't slip and if it was , then walking in the heather at the side of the track would provide ample traction. The descent we used however was steep and I wouldn't recommend this in icy conditions but returning the way we went was always an option. The only issue with the route up we took was the road which could get busy when it was open.
Tam Collie
Hill Bagger

Munros:3   Corbetts:127
Fionas:6   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:48
Wainwrights:73   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland