walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Chonzie

Ben Chonzie

Postby Bruadair » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:31 pm

Route description: Ben Chonzie via Glen Lednock

Munros included on this walk: Ben Chonzie

Date walked: 16/10/2010

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Set off early morning and signs were that it was going to be a good day.....16th October !!!! it could well have been 16th July.
PICT0050(3).JPG
And in the distance is the prize of Ben Chonzie.....somewhere!!!!

PICT0055(3).JPG
Some spectacular views en route

PICT0057(2).JPG

A short while after turning off the track I came across a small cluster of rock which from the corner of my eye some rock appeared to move (we're talking no more than six feet away)...once focused I noticed this unlikely pair strolling over the rocks and immediately scrambled for the camera.
PICT0059(2).JPG
A couple of Ptarmigan

Staying with the wildlife theme......a bit further on, I just about ended in a heap as about 25 feet in front of me something leapt up out of God knows where, and don't know who got the biggest fright....at first I thought it was a young buck....but again once focused saw it was a mountain hare, so fought for the camera again.....someone told me mountain hare were smaller than brown hare, but not these ones on this hill....they were huge, you could have put a saddle on them.
PICT0069.JPG
Mountain hare from 3 miles away...well maybe about 30 yards
PICT0065.JPG
A sign perhaps !!!!!
PICT0070.JPG
Perfect spot for a cup of tea before some more scenic shots and then the trudge back off the hill
PICT0071.JPG
Loch Turret Reservoir
PICT0072.JPG
PICT0073.JPG

On the summit I took in the sights of the surrounding hills and was plagued by a light aircraft which was somewhere in the Glens below me....this time I had the camera ready, but alas it never popped up for me to get a shot. After basking in the stillness and sun I dropped SW off the summit over some boggy ground to cut off going round fence line which I picked up a bit further south.

A pleasant walk out on a superb morning...........RESULT.
Bruadair
Mountaineer

Re: Ben Chonzie

Postby rockhopper » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:13 am

nice report and pictures bruadair - took my younger son and his friend up via Loch Turret in mid September but we couldn't see from when we got nearer the top until we were coming back down due to mist and rain so it's nice to see what it would've looked like :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Merry-walker » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:17 pm

lovely scenery, hoping to do this walk in a few days
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby baggervance » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:17 pm

Nice pics Bru, I can vouch for the size of the hares. I was up Meall a'Bhuachaille a few years ago with my dog and was impressed by one not 30 feet from me ~ all white at the time so not sure if mountain hare with winter coat or artic hare. Huuuge fella. Lucky Beano didn't see him although the speed he took off at the old dug would have no chance :lol:

cheers
baggervance
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:59
Fionas:5   Donalds:7

Postby andyfitz » Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:30 pm

Enjoyed report and pics. Ben Chonzie sometimes attracts negative comment. I have no idea why, I also enjoyed it on a glorious day and have rarely seen more wildlife on a walk.
andyfitz

Munros:191   Corbetts:12
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:18

Postby jwramsay » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:01 am

I was up Chonzie a year ago and was astounded by Harley Hare and his ilk. Tons of the buggers.

I've read of climbers dogs running miles away after these dudes, so be careful up there is you have a dog.
jwramsay
Mountain Walker

Munros:109   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   Donalds:3

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland