walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

3 munro's but only 2 in the bag.

3 munro's but only 2 in the bag.

Postby davetherave » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:10 pm

Route description: Creag Meagaidh circuit

Munros included on this walk: Càrn Liath (Creag Meagaidh), Creag Meagaidh, Stob Poite Coire Àrdair

Date walked: 21/11/2010

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Distance: 22 km

Ascent: 1309m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Date. Sunday 21st November 2010
Completed by. Dave and Wilson
Weather light flurries of snow, poor vis most of the day and very cold
Time. 7.5
Distance. 21.8 km
Ascent. 1309 m
Hills.
Munro’s x 3
Corbett’s x 0
Grahams x 0

Creag Meagaidh, Stob Poite Coire Ardair and Carn Liath

Starting from.

Nature reserve car park at Aberarder

our route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Just off the night shift on Saturday morning and for some reason my sleep pattern was all to cock. Usually it’s not a problem… not this time.

Planned to arrive at the start for about 8.30am ish on the Sunday morning, but due to the nightshift syndrome I awoke at 2.10 am. Anyhow to cut a long story short, Wilson and I had arrived before 6.15am at the reserve and were on our way just after 6.35am. This early start would make a big difference to us; we were looking forward to getting home earlier than usual and enjoying a couple of hours on the Sunday evening relaxing.

Headed up through Aberarder forest with the head torch ablaze, at this early a start it was still far too dark for any views, but I was hopeful. Would I be lucky this time round!

I did Creag Meagaidh, Beinn Teallach and Beinn a Chaorainn several months ago. I had intended on doing the 5 Munro’s with an over night camp. I managed Beinn Teallach and then camped on top of Beinn a Chaorainn. Then after a restless night I packed up tent and headed over to Creag Meagaidh, I then decided to head home, as I never had the energy for the other two. (Hence the title).

I decided to gain height quickly and hoped to get views of Coire Ardair From Sron a Ghoire ridge. It was a tough climb, even more so as the snow line was reached. The snow felt firm but once you stepped on it you just fell through.
After gaining the ridge I new it would be easier and I then started to look forward to the rest of the day.
Views were poor; visibility was down to 5/10m for long spells. Much care was needed near Puist Coire Ardair as the ridge narrowed at that area. Once past there I new the ground was safer all the way over to Creag Meagaidh.
From Creag Meagaidh I then headed east then northeast before dropping down to the window. Crampons had to be fitted at this point as the descent was pretty well iced up, as was the ascent to Stob poite coire Ardair.

DSC00281.jpg
Megi summit

DSC00282.jpg
Wilson on Megi

DSC00283.jpg
Wilson in flight

DSC00285.jpg
looking down Coire Ardair

DSC00289.jpg
Stob Poite Coire Ardair summit

DSC00290.jpg
why me !

On reaching Stob Poite Coire Ardair the views had started to get slightly better…. I was now getting short time views of the Coire Ardair and also the Lochan an Choire.

DSC00292.jpg
Lochan

DSC00293.jpg
to the window

DSC00302.jpg
Meall an t-Snairn

The final Munro Carn Liath would be a piece of cake 5/6km North East then East catching the tops as I went. Visibility had increased so I managed to get a couple more pics as I went.

DSC00304.jpg
Carn Liath summit

DSC00305.jpg
Looking back to Coire Ardair

DSC00307.jpg
looking to Loch Laggan

DSC00308.jpg
Looking back to the Coire Ardair ( wilson looking cool)

DSC00309.jpg
Again

DSC00317.jpg
to the window

Headed south off the final Munro and eventually picked up a path of sorts. This path gradually got worse as we got lower and became very boggy in bits. This path soon linked us back up with our outward-bound track that would get us back to the car park.
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Re: 3 munro's but only 2 in the bag.

Postby mountain coward » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:24 pm

That's one tough dog! :lol:
mountain coward

Postby Stretch » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:40 pm

I contemplated doing this route on Saturday Dave, but I didn't feel that I would have enough time to complete it. I guess with an early enough start it would have been possible, but I really want some views when I do this. Wilson is a bit of a legend, there is no way my lazy beagle would leave the comforts of his bed to climb a hill.
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby malky_c » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:58 pm

Hmm - certainly looks quite wintry up there! Got a few glimpses of Creag Meagaidh and the window on Sunday when I was up Carn Dearg (Glen Roy), but didn't really see it for long. I think it cleared quite a bit in the late afternoon, although I guess you would have been down by then.

Anyway, looks like a pretty good navigation exercise. Did your missus not fancy the weather? I'm guessing Wilson didn't either, but he couldn't tell you :lol:
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby malky_c » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:00 pm

Forgot to say - are you sure this was Creag Meagaidh and not Bynack More? The summits look quite similar :lol:

101_1580.JPG
Bynack More summit cairn, Feb 2010
malky_c

Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Merry-walker » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:06 pm

Smashing Dave, wish I had energy for a walk like that after my night shifts

Great pictures :)
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby rockhopper » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:44 pm

great report dave in challenging conditions :D you'll need to get a wee whisky barrel for wilson 8)
rockhopper

Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby kinley » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:50 pm

Wow - winter is bedding in early this year :shock:

A nice walk that one - looks pretty nippy though :D
kinley

Postby monty » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:48 pm

Nice one Dave,
I was hoping to go up there on Saturday but the forecast is just looking too bad. Snow looks good enough for skiing. :D Wilson looks good in the photos. You might need to get him a winter jacket :D
monty

Postby Penguin » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:23 pm

Respect to Wilson for a great effort. That's one cool dog!

Penguin
8)
Penguin
Mountain Walker

Munros:8   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:32   

Postby LeithySuburbs » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:28 pm

davetherave wrote:(wilson looking cool)

oh the irony :lol:
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby davetherave » Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:11 am

Thanks guy's and Doll's

mountain coward wrote:That's one tough dog!

He is doing pretty well now MC, dont know about the tough...... but the does seem to enjoy his jolly's.

Stretch wrote:I guess with an early enough start it would have been possible,

Hey stretch,
i never in my life expected to arrive and start the walk as early as we did. Thats what the nightshift does to your built in clock. :(

malky_c wrote:Anyway, looks like a pretty good navigation exercise. Did your missus not fancy the weather?

Malky ,
i must admit the better half was not to pleased when she read the above comment :lol: . I have now been teasing her a wee bit. HaHa.
In her defence she did have a prior engagment, she is a pretty hardy soul and was a bit miffed that she could not make it. :cry:
Summit pic was vert similar indeed. :?

Merry-walker wrote:Smashing Dave, wish I had energy for a walk like that after my night shifts

Ditto......... you still up for the Braemar meet..?

rockhopper wrote:great report dave in challenging conditions you'll need to get a wee whisky barrel for wilson

Dont you mean a big whisky barrel for him to carry for me. Maybe instead of carrying water in his bac pak....!!!!

kinley wrote:Wow - winter is bedding in early this year

A nice walk that one - looks pretty nippy though

Was a very enjoyable day Kinley. Winter is here early. Looks like there maybe a lot of winter walking coming off this year.
Im now looking at reduced length of walks, and to spend a wee bit more time in the planning. :)

monty wrote:Nice one Dave,
I was hoping to go up there on Saturday but the forecast is just looking too bad. Snow looks good enough for skiing.

Cheers Monty
Never tried the skiing yet. Hopefully sometime...... Do you no much about the short length ski's, the ones that you can just bind on to your hiking boots.................................?

Penguin wrote:Respect to Wilson for a great effort. That's one cool dog!

He is a cracker, but sometimes the wife does insist that she thinks his ears are painted on. :lol:

LeithySuburbs wrote:davetherave wrote:
(wilson looking cool)

oh the irony

HaHaHa My thoughts exactly..
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Postby Merry-walker » Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:18 am

ABSO-BLUMIN-LUTELY up for Braemar, even if I have to buy a snow board :lol:
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland