walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

the other way around

the other way around

Postby dbethune » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:34 am

Route description: Sgùrr na Cìche: 3 Munros from Loch Arkaig

Munros included on this walk: Garbh Chioch Mhòr, Sgùrr na Cìche, Sgùrr nan Coireachan (Glen Dessary)

Date walked: 03/06/2009

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I did this walk yesterday (02/06/09), but chose to do it the other way around, and would definitely recommend that alternative. The benefits are:
(1) you do the most exciting peak first, climbing up the gorge to the Feadar, before the heat of the day;
(2) you climb the highest peak first, so every up and down along the ridge is more down than up!
(3) you get to the furthest away point early in the day, so after that you are on your way home;
(4) you don't have the relentless slog up Sgurr nan Coireachan - instead you can rattle your way down it at the end of the day.

Also, I would recommend cycling up the forest track on the south side of the glen, as you can get about 5 miles from the road end; it took me about an hour on the way up, and 40 minutes on the way back, so great saving of time and effort, and less boggy paths to negotiate.

All in all, one of the best days out on the hill.
dbethune

Munros:227   Corbetts:17
Fionas:5   Donalds:5

Re: the other way around

Postby helenw » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:53 pm

Hi

Sounds a good way round, although I did like the final viewpoint which would now come much earlier in the walk. In my mind anything that makes this route less hard going would be good, especially the bike ride in and out. When I did this route I wasn't as fit as I am now but it took for ever and I was so tired that near the end I just wanted to throw my rucksack down and die on the spot - only the thought of the chip shop in Fort William kept me going. I remember the drive out along Loch Arkaig being a killer, and of course the chippy was closed by the time I made it back anyway! Hope to tackle the Knoydart hills later this summer so I guess I will really see if I have got any fitter. :?

Cheers
helenw
Site Admin

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:19   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:93

Postby mountain coward » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:24 am

I'm planning to do that this next week (providing my broken toe will let me!). What are the descents like that way round? Steep loose and horrid or not too bad? How hard was the cycling for people who are not much good off road and sub-standard bikes?
mountain coward

Postby dbethune » Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:49 pm

The descent off Sgurr na Ciche is short and steep. The descent of Sgurr na Coireachan is long with no respite, but mainly on grass, and with a rudimentary path - hard on the toes at the end of a day, but I'd rather be coming down it than going up! The cycle along the south side of the valley is OK - it's a forest track all the way - I use an old road bike (not a mountain bike), and it was fine.

Enjoy!
dbethune

Munros:227   Corbetts:17
Fionas:5   Donalds:5

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland