walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Buachaille Etive Beag - Stob Dhub & Stob Coire Raineach

Buachaille Etive Beag - Stob Dhub & Stob Coire Raineach

Postby jwramsay » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:51 am

Route description: Buachaille Etive Beag

Munros included on this walk: Stob Coire Raineach (Buachaille Etive Beag), Stob Dubh (Buachaille Etive Beag)

Date walked: 03/10/2010

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Sunday 3rd October 2010 was a very wet day in the Central Belt, and when I picked Peter up in Glasgow at 8am, it was looking bleak. As usual, we went where our noses took us, and Glencoe was looking better than we'd driven past, so we plumped for The Wee Bookle.

The starting point:

The rain went off quite quickly, so I discarded my heavy jacket midway up the well defined staircase that has been built between the two. And what a path this is, someone has spent a lot of time and money on it.

Aonach Eagach to left:

When we got to the bealach we turned left and quickly bagged Stob Coire Raineach. The rain was back, so I adorned the light jacket and had to protect my camera equipment, so missed out on what would have been a great picture of around a dozen Ptarmigan in the rocks at the summit.

No views at all, nothing to see here, so returned to the bealach for lunch, hoping it would clear up for out assault on Stub Dhub.

Path up to Stob Dhub:

Looking at Stob Coire Raineach from partway up Stob Shub:

We were extremely lucky, the cloud did start to thin and we were rewarded by excellent moody view down Glen Etive. At one point, we also got our first Broken Spectre, but it only lasted a few seconds.

GlenEtive:

Buachaille Etive Mor:

An easy walk back down to the car and some time to take pictures of the waterfall before heading home.

Looking back up to the bealach:

Stob Dhub right, Stob Coire Raineach (right):

Long shutter opening gives a nice fluid effect:

Bidean Nam Bian and the 3 sisters:

And who could resist veering off the road to get this shot?

These 2 are probably the easiest munros that I have bagged to date. The path is well defined and created and you get a fair head start due to the height of the road.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ4MPh7WBW8[/youtube]
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

jwramsay
Mountain Walker

Munros:109   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   Donalds:3

Re: Buachaille Etive Beag - Stob Dhub & Stob Coire Raineach

Postby Graeme D » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:36 pm

Cheers JW! I've got these two pencilled in for some time over the winter. Looks like they're ideal for a short day. :D
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby houdi » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:25 pm

Yeah, nice one. I'm hoping to do these two over the Christmas holidays. Weather (snow) permitting, of course.
houdi
Rambler

Munros:93   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:74
Wainwrights:48   

Postby Merry-walker » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:37 pm

That waterfall pic is smashing. Looks like a great walk with sound views.

BTW, the snow tubby is cool 8)
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby jwramsay » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:48 pm

Merry-walker wrote:That waterfall pic is smashing. Looks like a great walk with sound views.

BTW, the snow tubby is cool 8)

He's dead now :D

(was a video of a snow teletubby that me n the kids created today. I posted on my Utube today, and MerryWalker spotted it as she's a subscriber, incase anyone is wondering)
jwramsay
Mountain Walker

Munros:109   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   Donalds:3

Postby Merry-walker » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:14 pm

jwramsay wrote: He's dead now :D

:lol:
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland