walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Attack of the Blisterons en route to Beinn Mholach et al

Attack of the Blisterons en route to Beinn Mholach et al

Postby kevsbald » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:01 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Mholach, Meall na Leitreach

Fionas included on this walk: Creag a'Mhadaidh

Date walked: 20/11/2010

Time taken: 12 hours

Distance: 28 km

Ascent: 1200m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A bothy meet had been planned for a wee while and Daz, Graeme and I met up at Perth to be whisked North in Daz's new Honda. Talk about spaceship interiors, it wasn't long before he had has verging on warp speed up the A9. As it happened, I had just purchased a Fukifilm camera for some 10 Megapixel shots. Anything to perhaps get more clearer detailed pics for hill afficionados. We left the Enterprise at Dalnaspidal galaxy and began the long walk along Loch Garry with heavy packs but light hearts. Although the cloud was not lifting, our spirits were and we were just getting into the walk when Darren announced that the Blisterons were attacking in full-force on ankles. A hostile species threatened to force Daz to turn round and abandon all bothy and peak ticks. Fortunately, he managed to hobble to Duinish and once he saw the rather lovely bothy and we deposited our future carbon footprints, it was full thrust to our objective for day 1. Wounds attended to and several kilos and skin layers lighter, we made for Beinn Mholach. An initially boggy ascent became much more interesting as we hit the snow and craggy asteroid belt. Then began the walk along the plateau before we eventually made out the huge cairn that resembled a dun. Unfortunately, cloud level was down so visibility was limited to only a few glimpses of Loch Rannoch and beyond. I would imagine this would be quite a spectacular, wee hill in visibility but any day that it doesn't rain on the hill, does for me. Before we left to return to space-docking station for the night, I did take a photo of a cracking mini-species which had colonised one of the cairn rocks - like a fanfare of trumpets sounding out its tune. The return to the bothy was fine and once the fire was on, we sat and relished the heat of the fire, the hot chilli beef jerky and some fine ale and uisge beatha. The jokes were terrible. At 0500, we awoke and breakfasted before heading out with headtorches to seek out the Graham, Creag a Mhadaidh before finally heading back over Meall na Leitreach to the awaiting Enterprise. I thought these two hills were quite uneventful or maybe it was a lack of caffeine which was turning me into a monosyllabic zombie - not even pain au chocolate could wake me from my dwam. CaM must be one of the most unfrequented hills in Scotland but it's large cairn and view down to Loch Errochty make up for its apparent ignominy. There was some discussion about whether we were at the cairn on the latter after the bog hop but we did a recon mission and found no other cairn, this had to be it! A swift return down the hill and the A9 had us back to Planet Pearth in no-time. Another fine hill expo with Dazulan and Graeme the vulcan. We made it so.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

DSCF5022.JPG
Which satellite to aim for?
DSCF5024.JPG
Intrepid explorer at home on Beinn Mhulcan
DSCF5025.JPG
Impressive cairn hosting alien species
DSCF5030.JPG
Vulcanticus trumpetus
DSCF5034.JPG
Space-docking station - home to mini-sun
DSCF5039.JPG
Dazulan dries off his oxters
DSCF5047.JPG
Meall na Leitreach hosts two ALFs
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Re: Attack of the Blisterons en route to Beinn Mholach et al

Postby Merry-walker » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:36 pm

Fantastic! :lol: :lol: :D
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby brpro26 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:21 pm

Nice wee trip...like the Bothy...out of this World. :lol:
brpro26

Munros:220   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:9   

Postby IreneM » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:22 pm

Brilliant report :lol:

Live long and prosper!
IreneM
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:195
Fionas:13   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:14

Postby malky_c » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:05 pm

Much enjoyed, as a) I didn't know there was an open bothy there, and b) I was looking at a route on these hills just the other evening! Not much in the views department to tell me what I might see, but seems like you had a decent weekend anyway :D
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Graeme D » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:38 pm

Nice one Kev. Fond memories. Good job it wasn't planned for this weekend eh? :? I cannae see if Darren has his eyes open or shut in that picture by the fire, but my money says they're shut! :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby kevsbald » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:51 pm

They were melted shut.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland