walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mount Keen in all her winter glory

Mount Keen in all her winter glory

Postby Johnny Corbett » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:44 am

Route description: Mount Keen from Glen Esk

Munros included on this walk: Mount Keen

Date walked: 02/04/2010

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 17.5 km

Ascent: 708m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Headed off at 10am from Invermark car park, past the church and onto the track which had a bit of snow on it,this was due to the previous night after a heavy snow fall. We had an idea it had snowed as the road up had 4 feet snow banks up the sides. So anyway off we headed through the snow and it wasn't long till we were getting nice view through the Glen
On route to Mount Keen.JPG
The view up
After we passed the cottage this was where the hard work started as we had to wade through the waist deep snow, just wish i'd took pics at this point but i was too bloody knackered to get the camera out but all the effort was worth while as we started climb and Mount Keen came into view.
2 Dudes.JPG
2 dudes out for a stroll
Stevie and Kim.JPG
We're not there yet Stevie, but yeah i'll take the plaudits for choosing another fine day on the hills
:D
Stevie.JPG
Stevie pointing to the summit
Mount Keen summit 2nd April 2010.JPG
All worth the effort
Jon&Kim Mount Keen summit 2nd April 2010.JPG
Even Kim agreed as she froze on the summit
:clap:
OJ.JPG
Never seen snow like this before, amazing.
The view down.JPG
The View down the Glen
Queens well.JPG
Couldn't not stop off at the Queens Well
Deep snow.JPG
How deep is that snow!

So after another fine day on the hills we were back at the van for 4 o'clock and all very happy with our day :D This was definately a 5 out of 5 for us all
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by Johnny Corbett on Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Re: Mount Keen at her finest

Postby andrew11 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:12 pm

Good one Johnny.

I've been up Mount Keen several times, but never saw it like that!!
andrew11
Walker

Munros:143   
Sub 2000:3   

Postby davetherave » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:47 pm

Johnny

What a day you got, good pics and beautiful blue skies. This is my nearesr Munro ive been up it 2 1/2 times....... the 1/2 time i turned back as the going was to tough in the deed snow.. :lol:

well done good effort

PS was the snow in good condition for walking.?
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Postby Johnny Corbett » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:46 am

Dave

The snow was pretty near perfect for walking, after the cottage where you start climbing the track was waste deep though but once higher it, it was fine. There was only one section of about 10 meters which was a bit slippy but crampons were not required.
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland