walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn an Lochain - magnificent mountain

Beinn an Lochain - magnificent mountain

Postby kevsbald » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:16 pm

Route description: Beinn an Lochain

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn an Lochain

Date walked: 27/11/2010

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 5.5 km

Ascent: 660m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My original plan was to head North and grab a couple of Munros but at 0445 I was wakened by a rather worried woman - she would prefer I did something more local and as SWMBO, I accepted and went back to sleep. At 0800, I rolled out of a surprisingly snowy Glasgow and made for Beinn an Lochain. I had heard much about this hill and it always looked very dramatic from the Rest and be Thankful. In fact, I had climbed Stob Coire Creagach a few weeks back to see what it looked like from the North - very dramatic. Rather than parking right opposite the starting point, I parked about 400m further South in a layby and began the walk. It was cold but beautiful. My sense of anticipation for this trip was strong and I was really looking forward to one of THOSE days where I knew conditions were perfect. The great thing about this hill is that the views all round are fantastic, it's quite steep and offers a quick ascent. Furthermore, I love craggy peaks and this one was superb. It's all very benign up to about 600m but you can make out the summit peak at the end of the hill. Coupled with views over to the Cobbler, Beinn Ime and tranquil Loch Restil down below, could there be a better peak in Arrochar? I love the Cobbler but I love Beinn an Lochain, so which is better? Only one way....At 600m, you begin to make acquaintance with the North face and it is possible to pick out some lines, if you're into rock-climbing. As the sun blasted the Eastern slopes, the oppressively dark cliffs on the North face loomed and as I got higher, the track got narrower and more exposed. Nothing too serious but care was needed especially as much of the path was frozen in places. From below, it looks horrific but a good path wends its way higher and higher. The final push was fantastic and not that exposed but it still offered an exciting end to a great wee mountain. For such a super hill, I was slightly surprised at how small the cairn was but the views from the top were breath-taking. As I sat and drank in my water and the vistas, I felt at peace. Until this old codger scared the living shecht out of me by shouting "morning!" He had come up the other side of the face and was double ice-axed up. He must have been near 70 and rather than offer an apology to my sweary exclamation, he just laughed. Aye, I would have done the same, I thought! I proffered my good wishes and began my descent off the South summit, down through the crags. It wasn't long before I hit the road and began the trek back to the car. This fantastic mountain deserves a great day of weather and having done it in Winter, I would wholeheartedly recommend this. Brilliant.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

wh1.jpg
The summit viewed from starting boulder
wh2.jpg
I love the way the mountain, tree and moon look here
wh3.jpg
Beginning to get tasty
wh4.jpg
Loch Restil from high above
wh5.jpg
Interesting rock formation
wh6.jpg
Mountain of contrasts
wh7.jpg
A dobber and the cobbler
wh8.jpg
Picture postcard - Beinn Ime and partner
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Re: Beinn an Lochain - magnificent mountain

Postby Graeme D » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:28 pm

Cracking stuff there Kev. Hope and Klibreck bit the dust then did they? :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby davetherave » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:44 pm

I think this is a fab hill kev. I said to Julie when we did this hill earlier that I woul :D be back to do it again. :D :D
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Postby bigbertie » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:53 pm

Wow - the weather is nice over there, compared to north Northumberland. Nice pics. Luckily I did this when it was a Munro, so I have counted an extra one!
bigbertie

Postby Merry-walker » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:56 pm

Your reports are great! :lol:

She that must be obeyed is a wise woman
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby jwramsay » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:30 pm

Great report and you are correct. This is an outstanding (ex-munro) mountain.
jwramsay
Mountain Walker

Munros:109   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   Donalds:3

Postby baggervance » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:19 pm

Nice report and pics ~ love the shot down to the Loch

This is a hill I fancy breaking my winter duck on. How would you rate it in terms of difficulty considering the possibility of a heavier snow covering than when you climbed it :?
baggervance
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:59
Fionas:5   Donalds:7

Postby CurlyWurly » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:30 pm

Nice report Kev, love the pic of you on the summit. For a moment, I thought you were at altitude!
CurlyWurly
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:47
Fionas:17   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:51
Wainwrights:50   

Postby HighlandSC » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:42 pm

Looks a cracking hill, Kev. I do like the craggy ones :)
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby Graeme D » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:10 pm

CurlyWurly wrote:Nice report Kev, love the pic of you on the summit. For a moment, I thought you were at altitude!

You mean near Denver? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby over2u » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:16 am

nice report :) this has got to be my favourite "local" scottish mountain much prefer climbing it to ime and the cobbler etc around arrochar.

Climbed it last 8th Aug '10 in fantasic weather conditons.

over2u
Mountaineer

Munros:20   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:4   

Postby bootsandpaddles » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:53 am

I agree - a great hill, especially in winter. I was up there in January this year (see my report Beinn an Lochain Take 2). It can be quite a serious prospect in icy conditions though - we witnessed an injured walker being helicoptered off.
bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:103
Donalds:7

Postby dooterbang » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:15 pm

Great report Kev.

I havn't done this but your enthusiastic report has made sure i will, hopefully soon :)

Nice photos, that one of the creature they call the "dobber"....thought they were extinct :lol: !!.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby tomyboy73 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:12 pm

totally agree about this hill, it was my first real hillwalk a few years ago and went back up it again a couple of years later. I also have a picture of that wee tree growing out of a rock, it hasn`t grown much. We`re thinking of going up there again 2nd/3rd january.
a lonely tree.JPG
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:186   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Postby rockhopper » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:31 am

Lovely report Kev - nice pictures as well.....Loch Restil from high above is still giving me vertigo just looking at it 8)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland