walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall Ghaordaidh

Meall Ghaordaidh

Postby jwramsay » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:49 am

Route description: Meall Ghaordaidh from Glen Lochay

Munros included on this walk: Meall Ghaordaidh

Date walked: 27/08/2010

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Ascent: 1040m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Another early finish from work means another solitary walk, so I picked on an easy single, Meall Ghaordaidh. Access to this hill is basically turning left into Glen Lochay just before leaving Killin in the direction to Ben Lawers. It is in fact well signposted from the road, even though there is no designated car park:

What looked like a really promising day changed quickly and I got drenched, but managed to catch this rainbow:

Some nice views started to open up, this to Ben Vorlich and Stuc a' Chroin:

And this to Ben Lawers with his head in the cloud:

At the summit, views opened up to the North, in particular Glen Lyon:

On the way back down, the sun lit up the Lawers Range and the Tarmachan Ridge nicely:

Looking back at the summit of Meall Ghaordaidh:

I just love the clouds in this one:

Tasty looking Corbett:

What a difference the sun makes:

To summarise, a kind of featureless hill but great all round views from the top. Very boggy path higher up.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKP4tHDFBOs[/youtube]
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

jwramsay
Mountain Walker

Munros:109   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   Donalds:3

Re: Meall Ghaordaidh

Postby Graeme D » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:05 pm

I have to say I've never really fancied this one from the Glen Lochay side - much prefer the look of the ascent from Glen Lyon. And probably in winter conditions too. Now might be the time to seize the opporchancity......if I can get anywhere near it up that Glen Lyon road that is. :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Re: Meall Ghaordaidh

Postby jwramsay » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:33 pm

Best of luck getting into Glen Lyon that deep!

Remember the road past Ben Lawers isn't treated in winter, so you might need to traverse almost the full length of the Glen - no mean feat even when there is no ice on the road!
jwramsay
Mountain Walker

Munros:109   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   Donalds:3

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland