walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cadair Idris

Cadair Idris

Postby yokehead » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:39 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Cadair Idris - Penygadair, Craig Cwm Amarch, Mynydd Moel

Date walked: 29/12/2008

Distance: 9.5 km

Ascent: 896m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

g8.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Stayed in a b&b in Dolgellau for a couple of nights, me, Chaz and this time Sarah my wife joined us for her first hill walk in about 7 years. Started from the car park at Minffordd, a £4 parking charge but we only had £1.50 in change! A generous chap from the Midlands gave us £2.50, what a saviour otherwise we would have had to waste time getting more change, cheers mate! You meet a better class of people on the hills!

We set off up the Minffordd path, well made with large steps alongside a stream so very pleasant and height is quickly gained. The path is easy to follow and eventually turns to the west heading for Llyn Cau. A number of stops to admire the views although the tops were cloud covered, Chaz had some fun climbing a large boulder then up onto the start of the ridge. This was more impressive and rocky than I’d expected, some ups and downs and great views down to the lake along with a couple of very steep gullies, always near the edge of the cliffs. A brief break in the clouds showed the sun on the ridge to the north.

cad1.jpg
window in the cloud

Over boulders and sometimes made sections of path led us to our first peak, Craig Cwm Amarch at 791m. We continued to the north and after about 1km reached the foot of the main peak, at this point the cloud started to lift and the rocky peak was in sun. Over the boulders to the highest point at 893m with the cloud coming and going as we ascended. At the top it was clear and we were in a temperature inversion with most of the cloud below us, superb! The rocks were covered in a thin layer of hoar frost.

cad3.jpg
sea of cloud

cad2.jpg
i can see for miles

We sat just below the summit and had food and drink, marvelling at how lucky we were with the views around us. There is a large stone hut here, quite a few people had chosen to have their food in the shelter so couldn’t see anything! The wind was a bit cold though I suppose. On we went, our route took us to the north of the lake to complete a circuit. We headed north east, into a dip and into mist. Funny thing, I had been thinking ‘what if we see a brocken spectre’ then ten minutes later as the ground started to rise, there they were! For about 5 minutes we were treated to this sight, coming and going at different strengths, wonderful!

cad5.jpg
brocken spectre

We followed a faint path through grass and across rocks, right at the very edge of sheer north-facing cliffs so a bit of a test of the nerves. After about another 1km the ground rose again, to the final peak of the day Mynydd Moel at 863m. Here it was clear on top again and there were more great views, the stone windbreak was very welcome for a brief stop and some drinks.

For the descent we headed south planning to join a path after about 1km, however there is a path that follows a fence that starts from just west of the summit – neither are shown on the Quo Explorer map. The path is horrendous though, water-scoured and consisting of boulders and scree so was slow going; we would have been better staying to the grass. Eventually this reaches the path we’d been aiming for, which is better and gives easier going back to the earlier Minffordd path. The cloud had cleared a bit by now so we saw a good sunset, we’d stupidly forgotten the camera though so all photos were taken on the mobile!

cad6.jpg
Tal y Llyn lake and sunset

cadair idris.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by yokehead on Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
yokehead

Munros:73   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:23   

Re: Wales - Cadair Idris Circuit Dec 29 08

Postby maddjock » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:29 am

nice... I was looking to do the same route when I was down there at the beginning of December, but the weather wasnt favourable at all... settled for a drive right around it instead... from Dollgellau down the B4405 then back up the A493.
sun came through at one point for about 2 mins and what I saw looked impressive.... maybe this year as will be back down in October.
maddjock
Hill Bagger

Postby GarryH » Sun May 17, 2009 5:53 pm

Hi,yokehead,Did this walk last Monday May 11th went prepared with my £4 parking fee :lol: really enjoyed the walk
and had the summit all to myself :o . Descended by the fence as in you`re report and you`re right it is horrendous
even in the dry conditions I encountered.Although the National Park staff are now working to improve it.

On a sadder note, on rejoining the path back to the woods we were asked to wait while a RAF Sea King helicopter and
crew attended an elderly chap who had suffered a heart attack,fingers crossed he`s ok.

Posted a couple of pics hope yopu don`t mind.

DSC01743.JPG
Barmouth from trig point

DSC01758.JPG
Llyn Cau

DSC01772.JPG
Sea King

DSC01781.JPG
Winchman and gear
GarryH

Postby yokehead » Tue May 19, 2009 7:22 pm

Hi sugary, pleased my report was of help on the parking robbery front! Glad you enjoyed it (great weather you got) and nice to see some more photos as another reminder of the excellent walk, and of views I didn't see because of the inversion. Hope the chap was ok.
yokehead

Munros:73   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:23   

Postby Nige R » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:30 pm

Thought you all might like to see pics of Cadair in Winter conditions
Cadair Idris Christmas 2002 1.jpg
Cadair Idris Christmas 2002 2.jpg
Cadair Idris From Mynydd y Moel.JPG
Nige R

Munros:13   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:97
Wainwrights:39   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland