walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

Hello All.

Hello All.

Postby BornSurvivor » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:30 pm

Hello there, :)

just joined the site and only started walking a few weeks ago, enjoying it very much so. walks completed so far are ben lomond via the Ptarmigan Ridge and Beinn Dubh - Glen striddle horseshoe, had great fun on both and already eyeing up my next few walks. Also interested in taking up climbing but haven't got any climbing gear as of yet :( any advice or info very welcome thanks alot.
BornSurvivor

Munros:1   
Fionas:1   

Re: Hello All.

Postby druidsam » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:24 am

hello bornsurvivor, welcome to the site.. its good here..innit :)

.................................Sam
druidsam

Munros:87   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   Donalds:2

Postby Myth » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:47 am

Welcome...

By climbing I take it you mean "rope and harness" type thing, and if so then I recommend finding the local climbing wall AND climbing club (strangely enough, information on both is often co-located...).

The climbing wall will enable you to hire gear and try out some moves but you will need a second to hold the rope. May be possible to team up with a solo at the wall, or get an auto descender on some pitches, but having a real person making helpful comments from the belay can be educational (or demoralising) - the centre might run classes... the Inverness one does, and they are wildly popular.

Your local climbing club will (I presume) hold meets on on local rock - certainly my local club did over 20 years ago, and I turned up and was introduced to climbing on club gear - all a bit used and rough, but adequate. I bought sticky shoes and a (PINK!) troll harness, sling, krabs and a belay device in short order, and climbed second to a friend for a few years until he moved away. Never did get around to buying a full rack of protection, but had a few bits and pieces.

Mind you, I've not climbed outdoors for about 20 years, and cut up my rope 12 years ago when the local Scout group needed some ropes for knotting practice!
Myth

Postby BornSurvivor » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:37 pm

thanks alot for the advice, will start enquiring about a club in the glasgow area, i know there is a great indoor wall in the centre of glasgow so al start there probarly, thanks alot.
BornSurvivor

Munros:1   
Fionas:1   

Postby Myth » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:27 pm

Yes - there is a really good club just round the corner from Ibrox... in a converted church - they'll see you right for sure, but they are VERY busy - book in advance!

Unless, of course you like the other Glasgow team...
Myth

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...