walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Narnain & Beinn Ime - winter

Beinn Narnain & Beinn Ime - winter

Postby davgil » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:00 pm

Route description: Beinn Narnain and Beinn Ìme

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Ìme, Beinn Narnain

Date walked: 05/12/2010

Time taken: 8 hours

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

First time on Beinn Narnain & Beinn Ime.
We couldn't have picked a better day as the views in all directions were excellent, very little wind and a blanket of snow everywhere. Setting off in the dark we witnessed a beautiful sunrise unfolding behind us as we headed for the slopes of Beinn Narnain.
Ben Lomond Sunrise 01b.jpg

Ben Lomond Sunrise 02b.jpg

Ben Lomond Sunrise 03b.jpg

Having been on the Cobbler several times before via the usual zig-zag path we were going straight up this time.
Unfortunately as we reached the buttress and headed to the right there was no trace of the path due too deep snow and no tracks. It was heavy going , in knee high snow much of the time, as we headed up.
The Cobbler.
Cobbler 01b.jpg

My mate Joe in snow up to his knees!
Beinn Narnian 01b.jpg

It was a hard grind as we reached the last scramble to the summit and I must admit there were a few difficult steps on the way.

Beinn Narnian 03b.jpg

Joe waiting patiently, as always, as I struggle with un-gloved frozen hands to get the shot.
Beinn Narnian 04b.jpg

As the summit is reached the 4 hour struggle is forgotten as we take in the spectacular views all round.
Beinn Narnian 05b.jpg

Beinn Narnian 06b.jpg

Beinn Narnian 07b.jpg

Beinn Narnian 08b.jpg

Beinn Narnian 09b.jpg

A well earned fuel stop!
The summit is starting to get busy with most arriving from the Cobbler path although there were quite a few coming up the hard way too.
Beinn Narnian 10b.jpg

Now the descent and this was amazing as we ran most of the way down through deep soft snow.
Crossing the style at the bottom of Beinn Ime we swapped Ice axes for walking poles and headed up the relatively easy slopes. The path was now well trodden and people could be seen all over the mountains now in all directions.
Lunch now on the summit with a young lad from Greenock, who unfortunately had his water bottle soak the inside of his pack, including gloves. We offered him some spare ones but he was well prepared and had another dry pair.
Beinn Ime 01b.jpg

Stunning views back over Beinn Narnain to Ben lomond as the sun was starting to drop and time to head for home.
Beinn Ime 02b.jpg

The descent was easy going considering we were very tired by this time as Narnain's tough ascent was taking it's toll :)
Last shot of the day, the usual view down Loch Long.
Loch Long 01b.jpg

Back to the car 8 hours later, reflecting on one of our best days on the hills to date!
Last edited by davgil on Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:12 pm, edited 7 times in total.
davgil
Mountain Walker

Munros:142   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   
Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:4   Islands:7

Re: Beinn Narnian & Beinn Ime

Postby Stretch » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:37 pm

Beautiful pics davgil, 10 hours though, holy cow . . . bit of an epic. I'm sure you and your legs will remember this one for a while :lol:
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Milesy » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:47 pm

I was also up a walk up Narnain yesterday via the Spearhead. Lots of windslab about which was slightly worrying and the final slope before the Spearhead was a bit tricky with thawing snow sliding off the wet grass underneath and quite a wee drop behind down to the boulder field. Cracking weather though. Had my sunglasses on all day 8)
Milesy
Stravaiging

Postby Gable Gable End » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:50 pm

stunning stuff there. Beautiful!
Gable Gable End
Mountaineer

Munros:64   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:7   

Postby Milesy » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:19 pm

Just seen your pictures now. Cracking. Mirror of my own ones.
Milesy
Stravaiging

Postby Merry-walker » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:27 pm

You got a sun rise and a sunset, bet it was fantastic!! One of the kind of days that really appeals to me 8)

Lovely pictures
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby rockhopper » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:36 pm

Nice report and some lovely pictures there davgil :D It's a lot easier in summer but then again you don't get the stunning pictures which you got in winter. Ten hours is a long day at this time of year ! 8)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby davgil » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:49 pm

Thanks for the nice comments everyone!
Just did a quick edit...was 8 hours not 10...sorry.

My mate's gps had added a previous cycle run of his to our time, didn't realise at first.
Stretch: Sorry, only 8 hours but still felt like an epic.
Milesy: Yes the windslab was everywhere and worth a watching, a few tricky parts. Hope to see your pics from the day!
davgil
Mountain Walker

Re: Beinn Narnain & Beinn Ime

Postby xpfloyd » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:50 pm

Lovely pics mate. I went the spearhead route up Narnain a few months back in the rain and it was fairly challenging, cant imagine what it must have been like in the snow and ice!

Out of curiosity, how was the route up Beinn Ime? Can this be done without Ice axe etc? I was thinking about going straight up the path past the cobbler and by passing Beinn Narnain.

Eddie
xpfloyd
Munro compleatist

Munros:105   

Postby davgil » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:23 pm

Thanks Eddie!

The route up Beinn Ime was really easy, we swapped axes for poles at the bottom and it was just an easy walk all the way up. It will vary depending on snow conditions but I can't imagine it being much of a problem, maybe get advice from some of the more experienced walkers on the forum.
davgil
Mountain Walker

Postby xpfloyd » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:35 pm

Thanks mate,

I think ill let our current levels of snow melt a bit before tackling it. I havent done a winter munro yet but im itching to get in about it. Looking for a fairly straightforward one to get me going

Eddie
xpfloyd
Munro compleatist

Munros:105   

Postby monty » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:05 pm

That looks superb Davgil. Those framed photos are excellent. Awesome. :D
monty

Postby davgil » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:12 pm

Thanks monty!
davgil
Mountain Walker

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland