walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Fail and bail on Ben Venue

Fail and bail on Ben Venue

Postby kevsbald » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:01 pm

Route description: Ben Venue from Loch Achray

Fionas included on this walk: Ben Venue

Date walked: 05/12/2010

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 3 km

Ascent: 150m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

With the plunging temperatures, considerable snowfall and the omnipresent cabin fever, I had to get out of Glasgow and head for the hills. Perhaps ambitiously, I thought I would attempt Ben Venue, a wee Graham not far from Callander. Short enough day out to be home in time for Eastenders. Not that I watch that mince. I arrived at the car park, perhaps unsurprisingly to find it under twa fit o snow. No matter, I advanced 40 years to OAP-dom and checked in with the Loch Achray hotel. Sure, it was okay to park out back but I'd need to put a deposit down on a room that I'd share with my old and putrid other half in 2050. I then headed off into the trees and made good time. I had gone 100m in less than 5 minutes. It was pretty clear that the snow had occluded a few routes through the trees and as I sank deeper and deeper into the white stuff, I checked my watch. I had been on the go an hour and had literally walked 1 km. Was I kidding myself? No, there's the hill poking out in the distance. Onwards and upwards. After another hour of floundering along the 'track', I took stock and checked my altimeter. 300m and 2 km into the trek. This was mental. At my current rate of speed, I would be back at the hotel in time for my shix shlices of shirloin shteak and ovaltine. No, time to bail out and admit that the conditions, while beautiful, were not conducive to progress on this insurmountable behemoth of the Scottish Highlands. Mount Venue had beaten the man. Nice low level round trip though.
DSCF5075.JPG
Mount Venue and Loch Venachar
DSCF5079.JPG
See if Jack Nicholson pops out, I'm outta here
DSCF5081.JPG
Ben Vane looking serene
DSCF5082.JPG
I can see you peeking out
DSCF5084.JPG
Ben Vane again...
Attachments
DSCF5086.JPG
Ben A'an - should have gone up there
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Re: Fail and bail on Ben Venue

Postby LeithySuburbs » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:32 pm

kevsbald wrote:No, time to bail out and admit that the conditions, while beautiful, were not conducive to progress

wish I'd done the same on my little adventure :? .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby rockhopper » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:55 pm

I take it Jack was also stuck in the snow :lol: pity about the depth of snow but at least you got out and got some nice pictures :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Alastair S » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:43 pm

Powder can be a pain :( Snow conditions over here seem to be progressing nicely (once you get to 600-700m at least).

ps shouldn't that be "Grahams not included on this walk: Ben Venue" :lol:
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby mountain coward » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:41 am

Like the great light on that first pic. Were the hotel being serious? couldn't you just buy a drink from them when you got back like they say at the Lawers Hotel?
mountain coward

Postby kinley » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:56 am

:lol: hard work this snow.

Nice just to get out though :)
kinley

Postby monty » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:52 pm

That sounds like real hard work Kev. You could have done with a short pair of skis. At least you got out. I have been hibernating for a month :lol:
monty

Postby mountain coward » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:27 am

Funnily enough Monty, you look like a hedgehog! :lol: (j/k)
mountain coward

Postby monty » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:27 pm

Have you been drinking MC :D
monty

Postby mountain coward » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:47 pm

Oh no, I don't drink and post... can't imagine who would! :lol:
mountain coward

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland