walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

Climbing Munroes only

Climbing Munroes only

Postby jalal » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:57 pm

Anyone climbing Carn gorm, Meall Garbh, Carn Mairg & Creag Mhor this Wednesday or thursday and wants to join drop me a line.
living Perth at arround 5 AM, hoping to start at 6.30 / 7.00 AM

Regards
Joe
Last edited by jalal on Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
jalal

Munros:25   

Re: Climbing 4 Munroes Wed or Thurs

Postby John Burgess » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:24 am

Hi Joe,

I'm working Wed/Thurs unfortunately (sometimes I have a Friday free but not this week). Enjoy your walk. The parking is on your left as you come into Invervar - a few yards down a track opposite the start of the walk. I missed it the first time I was there :?
My Avatar actually shows the Ben Lawers range from Carn Gorm on a day when I was up there with one of my lads last December. Hope you get similarly good weather.

All the best,

John
John Burgess

Munros:282   Corbetts:144
Fionas:78   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:110
Wainwrights:214   

Postby jalal » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:32 am

Hi John

Thanks for your reply, as you are probably aware i am novice to mountains,and i have already bagged few munroes and just love it
I have been told it s not safe to do the Carn Gorm, meall Garbh ect,,,,. on my own, any advice please

Regards
Joe
jalal

Postby John Burgess » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:48 am

Hi Joe,

If you are a novice then those four hills in anything less than perfect conditions (hard to guarantee in Scotland) is probably more than you should be attempting without company. Some parts are pathless and could be confusing, particularly in mist.
In that area Schiehallion might be a better option at this stage. I'm sure we can arrange a day together to climb the four you had in mind. We could do something on Friday if you wanted but I'm not free until mid-morning so it would have to be a shorter walk.

All the best,

John
John Burgess

Postby jalal » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:33 pm

Hi John

Thanks again for ure quick reply, i think i will be going somewhere else.
I have already done the Sheihallion so i will be looking on the net again and see what s the nearerst one to do
I am off Wednesday and Thursday and back to work on friday, but i will let u know on friday when are my next days off.

Regards

Joe
jalal

Postby John Burgess » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:35 pm

Hi Joe,

Okay, we'll keep in touch and sort something out. I'm off to Morocco in mid July which is probably about when you return!

There is always Ben Vorlich above Loch Earn. There is a clear path all the way up from Ardvorlich and the view is well worth the effort. As the route description on this site mentions, however, the continuation to Stuc a Chroin is much more serious and involves some steep scrambling so should be avoided if you have no experience of terrain like this. Descend from Ben Vorlich the same way you ascended.

All the best,

John
John Burgess

Postby Freewheelin » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:56 am

you can avoid the scramble on Stuc a Chroin by going onto the start of the rocks and going to the left where you will find what looks like a wee sheep track. Follow that for about 150-200m and there is a path up a shallow gully. It's still steep, but very easy - or you could go (further) over to the path to the right of the scramble.
Freewheelin

Munros:184   Corbetts:32
Fionas:7   Donalds:21

Postby jalal » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:01 am

Thank you guys for the advice, very much appreciated
I have decided that s what am doing tommorow and hoping it will be a nice day

Joe
jalal

Postby jalal » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:33 pm

I have just done the Sheihallion again, but this time i took my wife with me and this is the first time ever she experienced a mountains of any type and she did very well.
It took us just under 3 hours because she choose her pace and i did not want to puch her.
All i keept saying was ( we nearly at the top ) hahahaha.
We had a great weather wich is always a bonus in scotland, had a great day and now she wants to do another munroe tommorow!!!!!! I start to wonder now was it a good idea to take her this morning ??? i suppose yes.

Goos walking
Regards
Joe
jalal

Postby John Burgess » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:31 pm

Hi Joe,

Glad you had a good day. I was thinking of you when we were getting thunder, lightning and hail down in Perth!
My wife has been a good companion on many hills over the years so you should be pleased that yours enjoyed her day out.

All the best,

John
John Burgess

Postby jalal » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:56 pm

Hi John

We heard the thunder too , we were just commencing our descent, i was a bit wooried for a while but the rain stayed away, we could see it from far and tough here we go !!! we will be socked, but we had a great day and i was thinking to take her to Ben lawers that i did last week , at least i know where am going.
I am not going to do Beinn ghlass because it s going to be too much for my wife, there is a way arround bein glass to reach ben lawers.

Regards
Joe and thanks again for ure reply
jalal

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...