walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Dorain

Beinn Dorain

Postby johnnyaztec » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:21 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Dòrain

Date walked: 30/11/2010

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 900m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A brilliant day for walking,clear blue skies,sub zero temperatures with the mountains looking there best in there full winter overcoats.I had planned to include Dothaidh into the walk but I spent nearly two hours on the summit of Dorain just taking in all the views and decided to leave it for another day..

P1010213.JPG
Start point Bridge Of Orchy Hotel

P1010219.JPG
Heading Up

P1010220.JPG

P1010224.JPG

Beinn Heasgarnich
P1010226.JPG

P1010233.JPG
Looking north,lochaber in the distance

P1010238.JPG
Looking down Glen Orchy

P1010239.JPG

Checking out my sledge route for the trip down.Wondering if i can make it all the way to the A82 without stopping
P1010241.JPG

Looking south
P1010245.JPG

P1010260.JPG

Discarded beer can,3500ft up!
P1010263.JPG

Towards Beinn An Dothaidh and the rest of the ridge.
P1010271.JPG

P1010274.JPG
View back to the summit
Attachments
P1010291.JPG
Beinn Dorain
Last edited by johnnyaztec on Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
johnnyaztec
Mountain Walker

Munros:77   Corbetts:9
Fionas:5   Donalds:5
Hewitts:237
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Beinn Dorain

Postby rockhopper » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:05 pm

some nice pics there johnny - Beinn Dorain and Beinn an Dothaidh are very high on my to do list :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby baggervance » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:20 pm

Cracking pics ~ the hills look fantastic in the acres of snow. I like the picture 'looking south' it looks as though one more step to the right and byyyyyyyyeeeeeee :lol:
baggervance
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:59
Fionas:5   Donalds:7

Postby JTweedie » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:56 pm

I love seeing Beinn Dorain, my second favourite mountain after Beinn Alligin (which was my first Munro).
JTweedie

Munros:8   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   

Postby johnnyaztec » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:17 pm

rockhopper wrote:some nice pics there johnny - Beinn Dorain and Beinn an Dothaidh are very high on my to do list :D

Hi Rockhopper,saw your walk report on the other part of the ridge i was looking at that for for my walk originally about a month back ,but obviously with the weather that Scotland in particular has had recently it was a non starter.You did well to cover the ground you did.Dorains a nice walk with superb views from it especially under current conditions.

baggervance wrote:Cracking pics ~ the hills look fantastic in the acres of snow. I like the picture 'looking south' it looks as though one more step to the right and byyyyyyyyeeeeeee :lol:

Yeah it looks dodgy,but it was a little rock outcrop which was quite safe.

JTweedie wrote:I love seeing Beinn Dorain, my second favourite mountain after Beinn Alligin (which was my first Munro).

Its a great mountain it s up there in my favourites now,it was a picture much like the last one ive posted that first got my attention.but its an enjoyable walk and the views are superb too.
johnnyaztec
Mountain Walker

Postby jwramsay » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:51 pm

"Looking South" is a great photo!

Having been up Dorain in July I'd imagine it'd be some sledge ridge down the side to the A82 - mind you, you need to cross the railway first!
jwramsay
Mountain Walker

Munros:109   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   Donalds:3

Postby monty » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:16 pm

Hi Johny...
Some great pictures there. Beinn Dorain looks great from the roadside in your last picture. Looks like a good route up the south west ridge 8) Picture 239 looks amasing. I think that must be looking west to the Ben Starav group. :D
monty

Postby mountain coward » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:44 pm

Yeah, 'looking south' is an amazing pic - but looks a pretty scary place to have been stood!
mountain coward

Postby johnnyaztec » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:41 pm

jwramsay wrote:"Looking South" is a great photo!

Having been up Dorain in July I'd imagine it'd be some sledge ridge down the side to the A82 - mind you, you need to cross the railway first!

Yeah forgot about the railway,think the trains were off that day :lol:

monty wrote:Hi Johny...
Some great pictures there. Beinn Dorain looks great from the roadside in your last picture. Looks like a good route up the south west ridge 8) Picture 239 looks amasing. I think that must be looking west to the Ben Starav group. :D

Hi Monty,Yeah spot on mate,its the Starav range.

mountain coward wrote:Yeah, 'looking south' is an amazing pic - but looks a pretty scary place to have been stood!

Think the photo makes it look worse than it was MC,im sure even you wouldnt have minded standing there! 8)
johnnyaztec
Mountain Walker

Postby mountain coward » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:51 am

Well it looks a bit like a section where Richard was in front and decided to go along what I would call a 'silly little side path' in the snow above the very steep main road side of the hill - I following him for a while then told him he was a nutter and I was off up onto the ridge! :lol:
mountain coward

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland