walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

Visiting Skye

Visiting Skye

Postby kelticshaman » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:25 pm

My first post seems to have disappeared into oblivion! :)

I'll be visiting Skye soon and was interested in some more details about entering the castle at Dunscaith. I have read the very nice writeup here but would like some additional particulars.

Thank You
kelticshaman

Re: Visiting Skye

Postby Paul Webster » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:26 pm

Hi Keltic

I'm afraid our walk description has everything I know about Dunscaith Castle :( Was there anything in particular you wanted to know?
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby druidsam » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:08 pm

short article about it here http://www.theskyeguide.com/walking-mainmenu-32/14-strolls/87-dunscaith-castle

dont know if it will be any help though :?

.........................Sam
druidsam

Munros:87   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   Donalds:2

Postby kelticshaman » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:03 am

I will be staying overnight on the ruins holding vigil over a sword that has been made for me. I would like to do so in the dun proper but the descriptions of entry are somewhat vague. From what I have been able to find it involves either a perilous slide across the remains of the draw or climbing over the rocks to the right of the draw. Any suggestions about this navigation are appreciated. I'm far less concerned with the wrath of Sgàthach than falling off the draw or being hit by falling rock.
kelticshaman

Postby Myth » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:05 am

kelticshaman wrote:I will be staying overnight on the ruins holding vigil over a sword that has been made for me. ....

:shock:

Better wrap that well - or you'll find an ARU waiting for you in the ruins.
Myth

Postby MacCookie » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:28 am

kelticshaman wrote:I will be staying overnight on the ruins holding vigil over a sword that has been made for me. I would like to do so in the dun proper but the descriptions of entry are somewhat vague. From what I have been able to find it involves either a perilous slide across the remains of the draw or climbing over the rocks to the right of the draw. Any suggestions about this navigation are appreciated. I'm far less concerned with the wrath of Sgàthach than falling off the draw or being hit by falling rock.

Went over the drawbridge into the castle when I was on Skye at New Year - didn't have any trouble doing so, but I guess it depends on whether you like scrambling and whether you have a head for heights.

Ewan
MacCookie
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   

Postby kelticshaman » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:36 pm

Thanks all for the replies. What is an ARU?
kelticshaman

Postby Caberfeidh » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:47 pm

I suspect he means an Armed Response Unit ! Remember the end of Monty Python and the Holy Grail ? The police arrived and grabbed the k-nighits swords off them shouting "You're nicked! That's an offensive weapon, that is!" It is illegal to wander about with a blade, even if it is one of Duncan the Swordsmith's exquisite works! And claiming that you're a celtic shaman cuts no ice with the polis. If you must, then don't let anyone else see you, as you'll just cause fear and alarm. Might I also suggest a change of venue? Dun Ringill by Kilmarie is much more suited to eldritch rites,being a couple of thousand years more ancient and is just across the road from the swordsmith's house...
I prefer to do all my all-night sacred vigils in ancient ruined duns outwith midgie season, as the little buggers play havoc with my ability to commune with the Great Spirit.
June 09  Dun Sgaithe 01.JPG
June 09  Dun Sgaithe 02.JPG
June 09  Dun Sgaithe 03.JPG
June 09 Dun Ringill 01.JPG
June 09 Dun Ringill 02.JPG
June 09 Dun Ringill 03.JPG
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby kelticshaman » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:07 pm

Excellent advice Caberfeidh. Very nice photos also. I was intrigued by the myths of Sgathaich. The fact we selected Ord House as our base on Skye also lends itself to the site. Dun Ringill is very appealing, indeed but that is a fairly long drive on the wrong side of the road except when traversing the "Scottish single-track Roads of Death!" :)
kelticshaman

Postby Caberfeidh » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:23 pm

Anyone else watch "Krod Mandoon and the Flaming Sword of Fire" ?
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Myth » Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:27 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:Anyone else watch "Krod Mandoon and the Flaming Sword of Fire" ?

I managed to resist the urge.

I foresaw lots of yelling at the TV in fury...
Myth

Postby kelticshaman » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:34 pm

I heard Chancellor Dongalor and Elvis were sharing a bungalow on Eigg. Aneka has offered to join me for the evening but I turned her down when she wanted to bring a twelve pack of Miller Lite, the woman just WON'T shut up.
kelticshaman

Postby Caberfeidh » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:33 pm

Myth wrote:
Caberfeidh wrote:Anyone else watch "Krod Mandoon and the Flaming Sword of Fire" ?

I managed to resist the urge.

I foresaw lots of yelling at the TV in fury...

Why the fury?
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Myth » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:10 pm

I get easily irritated by silly plot devices / pansy poncing with swords / nasty stereotyping of costume, well, pretty much anything.
And as I yell advice and observations at the "actors", my family sulk off, my temper goes up, the atmosphere in the house goes down, and my wine evaporates.
The latter being the most concerning trait, obviously
Myth

Postby Caberfeidh » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:32 pm

It's a comedy.Lighten up! Or indulge in more heavy and sustained alcohol abuse.
Krod Mandoon.jpg
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...