walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

wildlife

wildlife

Postby johnpeter » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:40 pm

Hello, Iam Johnpeter , will be staying in cottage for a week in 3rd week of june near Dunvegan I am interested in wildlife , Pine martens, whales, dolphins, can anyone help me please ?
johnpeter

Re: wildlife

Postby Paul Webster » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:55 pm

Hi John and welcome to Walkhighlands :D

You won't see any pine martens around Dunvegan but there are good places to go watch for whales; I've seen them already this year off Rubha Hunish. Nearer to Dunvegan you could try Neist Point or Waternish Point - you've a great chance of seeing Minke whales from either. Dolphins are more hit and miss, a bit unpredictable, though you might see them from the coast. They are often from boat trips, either locally or from Calmac ferries such as Uig - Harris/Uist, Mallaig - Armadale etc. From the shore the best place to see dolphins is actually on the east coast at Chanonry Point.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby Caberfeidh » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:01 pm

There are boat trips available from Dunvegan which visit the seal colonies on the small islands around there. You may get lucky and see a whale; I found the bones of a whale lying on an island shore near Dunvegan.Look out also for porpoise,otters, eagles, buzzards, etc.I hope you enjoy your trip.Remember to bring anti-midgie stuff - they're out already.
Dunvegan whalebone beach 02.JPG
Dunvegan whalebone beach 01.JPG
Dunvegan Seals group.JPG
Dunvegan Seal 04.JPG
Dunvegan Seal 02.JPG
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby johnpeter » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:23 am

Hello again , and thanks guys for being very helpful. Can i ask paul why there arnt any Pine Martens at Dunvagen ?.
johnpeter

Postby Paul Webster » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:23 am

I don't think there are any on Skye, Johnpeter, though I have heard that some have crossed the Skye bridge in recent years (don't know whether this is true) - even if they have, they won't have got as far as Dunvegan.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby Myth » Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:23 pm

I'm reasonably sure that Paul is right about the Pinemartins - but there are plenty on the mainland, although seeing them is tough...

There are boat trips out to the Dunvegan Islands (from right next to the castle) which get really close. Don't forget to watch some otters while you're on Skye - lots of them about!

And the midges are well out - got bitten badly at Inchnadamph this weekend (yeah, a report will follow).
Myth

Postby kinley » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:49 pm

There are pine Martens on Skye - saw one as roadkill between Loch Ainort and Loch Sligachan last year (presumably before Caberfeidh found it and cooked it :sick: )

They crossed the bridge and are spreading out from Broadford apparently.

The BBC had the story a few years back:

Pine Martens on Skye

But they won't have got to Dunvegan yet.

Was up towards Dunvegan for a week last year - did see Sea Eagle, Peregrines, Merlins. Hen Harrier, Golden Eagles, Buzzards - all from the cottage.
kinley

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...